• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer 101

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When I first got delivery of the boat last April I didn't have a tow vehicle. So I had it delivered to the marina and they put the trailer in their "trailer parking lot" where it has sat ever since then. I've totally forgotten about it.

Now I can tow, and want to stop neglecting my poor trailer. But I have not idea where to start. I've never towed a boat before. What should I do to the poor neglected trailer before I even put Toothless on it? The Yammie dealer gave me a cursory walk through of the trailer, but that was ages ago and I've forgotten it all.

Thanks for any tips!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have you towed anything before?

The trailer being longer they are easier to back up, just take you time. ( assuming you haven't backed up a trailer before )

I would check the brake fluid, check the grease point locations on the trailer. They should be each hub and the shackles. They all have grease-serts.

I would also maybe hook up the empty trailer and practice in a parking lot without the boat on it to get used to the length and swing radius. Then go out on the road the same way.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have you towed anything before?

The trailer being longer they are easier to back up, just take you time. ( assuming you haven't backed up a trailer before )

I would check the brake fluid, check the grease point locations on the trailer. They should be each hub and the shackles. They all have grease-serts.

I would also maybe hook up the empty trailer and practice in a parking lot without the boat on it to get used to the length and swing radius. Then go out on the road the same way.
Nope. Total trailer noob. Yeah I intend to practice in the lot. This time a year is ideal since the marina is mostly empty.

So grease and brake fluid. Got it. Should I worry about the tires sitting there for most of the year?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Check the air pressure. The tires should be fine since there wasn't a load on them. You will notice if there is a flat spot, but ours sit all winter with a boat on them and they are usually ok next season.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. Total trailer noob. Yeah I intend to practice in the lot. This time a year is ideal since the marina is mostly empty.

So grease and brake fluid. Got it. Should I worry about the tires sitting there for most of the year?
Yank and pull on everything to make sure the coupler is hooked securely onto the hitch ball, not loose, with the locking pins securely in place, chains secured, harness and lights working etc etc. Same with the transom tie downs - many of us use a 5mph stop to “tuck” the bow in before tightening the straps.

I do not let anyone help.

Tire pressure is very important, most of us keep it at maxthe tire, usually 50psi.
Keep in mind trailer tire changes go by age/year not tread wear or distance travelled.

I would also practice trailer jack operation and securely locking unlocking in position before the boat is on the trailer. I almost lost a leg a few years back due to a shitty jack folding on me.

Edit: chock the wheels!Seriously, chock the trailer wheels so the trailer can not move or twist.
I like to briefly put the truck in neutral to relieve any tension on the coupler before taking the hitch off (uncoupling the trailer).

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since it's been sitting outside for an extended period, I'd disassemble the hubs and repack the wheel bearings. Greasing the fittings on the the Bearing Buddies is fine but that's not the same as pulling the wheel hubs apart and repacking the bearings properly.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Since it's been sitting outside for an extended period, I'd disassemble the hubs and repack the wheel bearings. Greasing the fittings on the the Bearing Buddies is fine but that's not the same as pulling the wheel hubs apart and repacking the bearings properly.
I don't really see the need for that. The trailer hasn't moved from new and has only been splashed once....... Seems like a lot of work for nothing. I pulled my hubs apart after 2 years and thousands of miles of travel and the grease was still fully packed in the bearings.

Last edited:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This will sound very stupid, but what do I need to buy to couple the trailer to the expedition hitch?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Generally speaking, this is what you need.

CURT 45036 Trailer Hitch Ball Mount with 2-Inch Trailer Ball & Hitch Pin, Fits 2-Inch Receiver, 7,500 lbs. GTW, 2-Inch Drop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EOV492/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_octfEbH5PZKZX

Depending on the height of the rear end and the squat once you’re connected, you can take the ball off and flip the bar upside down to raise it, or you can get other bars that have a longer raise/drop in the hitch.

My Tahoe is pretty tall, I have to use a 4” drop on it. @buckbuck has had 2 Expeditions, I believe. He may be able to offer a suggestion on the appropriate height bar.

You’ll also need one of these to connect the lights. I believe ‘19 was the first year that came with the trailer pre-wired with 7-pin round connector.

ONLINE LED STORE 7-Way Blade to 5-Way Flat Trailer Adapter [Nickel-Plated Copper Terminals] [Rugged Nylon Housing] [Compact Design] 7-pin to 5-pin Trailer Wiring Plug Adapter Amazon.com: ONLINE LED STORE 7-Way Blade to 5-Way Flat Trailer Adapter [Nickel-Plated Copper Terminals] [Rugged Nylon Housing] [Compact Design] 7-pin to 5-pin Trailer Wiring Plug Adapter: Automotive

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO, you're gonna wanna take a ride out to check out your trailer for a few "fitting" items before you hook up to your boat, if you don't have anything set up to tow yet.

What type of electrical plug do you have, a "Flat 4/5" or a round socket (7-pin)? You need to match up the electrical hookup from the trailer to the vehicle. If you don't have the proper one, you'll need an adapter.

Once you have an electrical hookup, you also need a hitch and a ball, if you don't already have one. I got an adjustable hitch because I have 2 different vehicles at different heights, and I wanted to be able to tow my boat with whatever was available - you don't need this, but you'll want a hitch with the proper drop (or rise, if you need to flip it like @BigAbe75 mentioned). The hitch coupler should be level, and you simply measure from that point to the middle of your hitch socket for the proper drop/rise. Head over to Walmart and buy the hitch that corresponds to your measurements, and buy the proper size ball for your trailer while you're there.

You may want/need a magnet for the reverse key, that's gonna be a personal choice, and in my view, you won't know if you want/need it until you've towed a few times. I've got one, and I've used it a few times, but I don't find it to be a necessity, YMMV.

Hooking up your trailer should be reasonably close to these steps:

Put the hitch coupler over the ball and lower the jack until the coupler rests on the ball and the jack wheel is off the ground. Swing the jack up, secure it to the trailer, and close the latch.

Put the locking pin through the latch/coupler

Take the right trailer chain and cross it underneath the coupler, and hook it up on the left side of your vehicle. If the chain hits the ground, twist it until it no longer touches the ground, then hook it up to the vehicle. Do the same with the other chain - left trailer chain under the coupler, hook it up to the right side.

Plug the electrical connector into the vehicle.

Have someone sit in the car and operate all the lights - running lights, left turn signal, right turn signal, hazards, brake lights.

If you've chocked the wheels, remove them and stow them in the car/boat.

Put your transom straps on and tighten them up

Tighten the bow roller strap, and make sure the bow's safety chain is hooked up

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ALSO...since you're new to towing, when you've taken off, after you've driven a bit (1 mile, 5 miles, something), pull over to the side and check your hookup to make sure you've still got everything in place and tightened - it WILL loosen up until you're familiar with the process, and even then, it'll still loosen up on you, best to check it out.

I know there's gonna be something I missed or forgot, since I haven't done this in a few months, and I even went back to edit that last post with stuff I remembered already, so set yourself up a checklist on your phone or something for your first few times. You might feel ridiculous, but you'll feel a LOT more foolish with your boat sliding off your trailer onto the ground!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You may want/need a magnet for the reverse key, that's gonna be a personal choice, and in my view, you won't know if you want/need it until you've towed a few times. I've got one, and I've used it a few times, but I don't find it to be a necessity, YMMV.
You will only use the reverse "key" if you haven't hooked up your wiring properly, or the reverse lockout solenoid isn't working properly. I have heard of some Ford trucks with LED lights not sending enough voltage to the trailer for the reverse lockout to work properly....but that is something Ford should fix!

One thing I would suggest is to unhook the lights and attempt to reverse the trailer up a hill. When doing this, the brakes should lock. If they don't, then your brakes aren't working and you will want to check them out.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The brakes tend to get seized up after sitting a long time if you've been in salt water. When you first hook up, start rolling slowly and look to make sure ALL wheels are spinning and your brakes are not locked up. If you have a locked up brake, it can be freed most of the time by rolling forwards and backwards 10mph and hitting the brakes hard -- you are trying to get the rubber to make contact with the pavement and free the brake. I have been doing that for years and always worked.

Set up some cones in an empty parking lot (or use the painted lines) and practice your turns, specifically how your trailer follows you in the turn and how you need to turn wide or you'll lose a fender or two at the gas pump :)

As for backing up... start with both hands palm up on the bottom of the wheel. Your thumbs are pointing the direction the trailer will go when the wheel goes the direction that thumb is pointing. Dont oversteer --- allow your 50 feet of rig to slowly go where you need it to.

Good luck and welcome to the trailer club!

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For backing, take it slow and never be too embarrassed to pull forward (slowly) and make another run at it.

I've been backing various kinds of trailers for years and sometimes I just have an off day. Sometimes it's too much (or too little) caffeine, sometimes I'm distracted by something. It doesn't happen often, but once in a while it takes me a couple tries to get it in the water - or into my storage unit.

When that happens I make an extra effort to stop, take a breath, and make sure I'm not in the middle of doing something stupid. Those extra tries make you want to hurry up and that's how you end up leaving your vehicle in gear or forgetting something important.

Frustration and fear of embarrassment have cost boaters a lot of money.

Last, but not least: When you've successfully launched, there is no need to yank your empty trailer out of the water at 100 mph. (Based on watching the ramp, this comes as a surprise to many people - particularly bass-boaters. I know who you are because your license plate is bent horizontally.) It may be "just water" but it has mass and you are stressing your rig for no reason. Pull out slowly and give the water time to get out of the way. Everything will last longer that way.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I kind of skimmed through this, and not sure if this has been said yet. But before you attempt to tow your boat. I would go rent one of the little Flat u Haul like 12-18 foot trailers for the weekend and drive around with it all weekend. The reason for this is it will give you time to get used to trailering and for 100$ you get the trailer with their trailer insurance. Yes the boat will tow differently but this will give you an idea of what to expect. You can even practice hooking it up and in hooking it and your not towing “toothless” around for practice purposes. IMO it’s what I would do. A lot of good info on here. Definitely get a friend who tows a lot to help mentor you. Lots of good videos on YouTube as well.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Most likely a 2” drop hitch for the Expedition. Throw a level on the tongue after hookup to check.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I kind of skimmed through this, and not sure if this has been said yet. But before you attempt to tow your boat. I would go rent one of the little Flat u Haul like 12-18 foot trailers for the weekend and drive around with it all weekend. The reason for this is it will give you time to get used to trailering and for 100$ you get the trailer with their trailer insurance. Yes the boat will tow differently but this will give you an idea of what to expect. You can even practice hooking it up and in hooking it and your not towing “toothless” around for practice purposes. IMO it’s what I would do. A lot of good info on here. Definitely get a friend who tows a lot to help mentor you. Lots of good videos on YouTube as well.
This isn't a bad idea.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to teach someone to tow a trailer - especially a boat trailer since launching is part of that process.

You can't rewind to 16 years old and have your Father look at you on his way to bed one night (shortly after you got your license) and say "I want to go for a boat ride tomorrow. Have the boat in the water by the time I get home from work."

(Yes, this actually happened. No, we didn't normally go boating after work. Yes, I spent the majority of the next day getting the boat out of the garage and in the water - fortunately, we only lived a few blocks from the lake so I didn't have far to go. Yes, I had a pretty good handle on it by the time he got home from work. No, I won't be doing this with my sons.)

So barring time travel, renting something to practice with may be a good place to start.