• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

trailer and tire maintenance

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
ok, so don't laugh at my stupidity on this subject but....

After this boating season I'm looking to upgrade my OEM tires and rims for something a little better. They will be 3yrs/seasons old. Traveled with the boat this year and we are ready to extend our reach and try new places. Most of the time the boat is wet slipped during season so we don't have a ton of miles on the wheels at all.

Soooo, when y'all get new tires and rims for the shorelander, where do you take it? just a regular tire store? or does it need to be a special trailer tire/repair place?

Can you take it and get the rims/tires with the boat on it still, or do I need to have just the trailer?

Thanks guys and be gentle..lol

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can leave the boat on the trailer to replace tires.

Where to purchase, either at a local tire store or online which ever has the best price.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just bought tires from Discount Tire. They sold wheels there too but we were only in the market for tires. Left the boat on the trailer and trailer hooked to the truck. They just used a hydraulic hand jack to lift the trailer.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Discount tire for trailer tire service! They are pretty accurate with the psi too! All mine were within 1 lb of each other after 4 months of usage. And watch for promotions with tires, they usually have rebates.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I second discount tire. I bought the Carlisle radials and was quite happy with them compared to the bias ply. Just having a tire worth balancing was well worth it. Those tires went from Texas to Lake Powell and back, and is currently in Florida for the Bimini crossing, so the tires are solid.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Go with radial trailer tires, and make sure you get the same weight rating or heavier weight rating ( load rating). Don't assume they will give you the right (load rating) tire.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think I saw someone on here say they always use light truck tires instead of trailer tires stating the lt tires were more duriable..

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok, so don't laugh at my stupidity on this subject but....

After this boating season I'm looking to upgrade my OEM tires and rims for something a little better. They will be 3yrs/seasons old. Traveled with the boat this year and we are ready to extend our reach and try new places. Most of the time the boat is wet slipped during season so we don't have a ton of miles on the wheels at all.

Soooo, when y'all get new tires and rims for the shorelander, where do you take it? just a regular tire store? or does it need to be a special trailer tire/repair place?

Can you take it and get the rims/tires with the boat on it still, or do I need to have just the trailer?

Thanks guys and be gentle..lol
So far, Carlisle radials seem to work well for everyone here with Shorland'r trailers. I have about 800 miles on mine - just put on last week - and so far so good. Those do run smoother than the original plys. I got those radials as a warranty replacement from Shorland'r. While Carlisle used to have terrible reputation in the past, their new tires seem to be all right.

--

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new aluminum trailer we bought last year has Carlisle and we have been to myrtle twice all of over central nc and va and eve a 1000 mile round trip to Ohio a few weeks ago and they have not missed a beat...

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks guys...

This helps take out the stress of figuring out where and how to get new tires on the trailer...

Y'all rock!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the maxxis. They seem pretty good. Cam.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I saw someone on here say they always use light truck tires instead of trailer tires stating the lt tires were more duriable..
I've always replaced my ST tires with LT tires when they are due. Not that the ST tires are bad, but the LT's are better. Same load ratings, radial construction, and much longer life (harder compound rubber I would presume) under normal usage. The bias ply ST's on our factory AR190's trailer are junk IMO. The sidewall is far too soft, and they flat spot over the course of a day or so. Takes 10-15 miles for them to build enough heat in them to "round out" again and drive smooth. When they become due for replacement I'll be finding a similar overall diameter wheel/tire combo in an LT style tire.

Got the tip/theory from a friend that is a professional drag racer and tows 3 weekends a month for about 9-10 months a year. He has a triple axle toy-hauler style trailer and sees a significant cost savings from the increased life of the LT's.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine had 14" and LT, although better, are hard to find in that size. I didn't want to upgrade the rim size so had to settle for the maxxis with the same load rating as the old tires. Still, they are pretty good and tow smooth. I wish I would have got them balance at the time but the tire shop talked me out of it. No issues with balance but would be better overall. Cam.