• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Axle size

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
MFI Trailer, owner(s)? before me replaced the trailer axle once already with a a painted axle that is rusting to pieces, same for the leaf springs.

I've measures the axle several times now, and it appears to measure 94 inches Hub Face (From hub face to hub face) Most Axle supplies online seem to stock either 93.5in or 95in long axles in Galvanized with brake flanges.

I was hoping someone that still had an MFI trailer that might have replaced the axle/drivetrain already with other "compatible" parts might remember what was used in their replacement, and how well it worked.

As is, the tires are almost outside of the fender, so another 1/2 inch on each side may be substantial for purposes of fender protection. However I can also see the panel piece behind the tires and wheels bulging where the tire might hit it with severe turns that move the wheels at at angle (not sure this is the case, but it would seem). So it seems as currently designed the axle is both too wide and too narrow :(

Anyway, feedback welcome!!!

Doncore3000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did you ever find the right size axles? If so where did you order them?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a local trailer manufacturer cut them to size. So far so good.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The hub face, while relatively critical, isn’t super critical. 94 and 95 are common sizes, they will put you right close to the legal limit on total width. As long as the tires don’t rub the inner fender, and you’re inside legal limit, you’re good. Center to center on the spring saddles is what you need to get right. You can also just get a beam only, and transfer your brake assemblies and hubs over to the new axle, if that stuff is not compromised. Also, as @Beachbummer found out, regular painted axles will rust sooner, especially in salt water. I would recommend galvanized in lieu of painted. They will also need to know if your springs are bolted to the top or bottom of the axle, which is referred to as overslung or underslung. If ordering a complete axle, have your bolt pattern ready, Which is most likely 5 on 4.5”. There are other things to be sure of, like whether or not it’s a drop axle (highly doubtful), or torsion (not if you have leaf springs), But if you take some pics, and go to a trailer repair shop, they should be able to help you. Or better yet, take the axle/trailer with you, and let them figure it out. It always makes me a little nervous, ordering an axle for someone who did their own measuring, we’ve had too many times where they didn’t get it right, then we have to scramble to make a customer happy when it wasn’t even our fault. 😉 Not fun for anyone involved.

*edited unfinished sentence*