• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Back Up Camera

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey anyone ever put a camera on your trailer? I have one on my truck which works wonderful for hooking the boat to the truck but I was thinking how much better a camera on the trailer would be when I'm backing the boat into my driveway and other places. If you have done it suggestions as to a model of camera would be most helpful and how it works for you.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I mounted my gopro wifi with a suction to my trailer and then used my phone connected over wifi to the gopro as the display. That worked fine for me.

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I looked at that but I was thinking a more permanent solution that I could use while driving as well. The GoPro's battery won't last that long.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check this out, about 2/3rds down on the first page.

You can get systems on ebay for $150 to $500 depending on how many cameras you want.

The cameras are always on, never overheat, water proof.

I recommend the wired versions over wireless, reliable instant connection, no noise.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-trailer-mods.14372/#post-247830

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie nice mods. I did a search in the forum before I posted my question but for some reason yours didn't come up. What model/manufacturer did you go with for your camera? How long have you had it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Mystic1906

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ronnie thanks for the link. I'm really wanting to get one. I just have to figure out how to attach it to the newer shorelander trailer. The middle has the brake light and not much space
.IMG_0272.JPG
Not my boat but same trailer.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No problem on the link. I installed my trailer camera at the center of the rear cross support, it should be ok there for a single engine boat as well but to be safe i would consider mounting it under or to the right rear bunk (right as opposed to left because the tow vehicle driver already sits on the left side).

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run a wireless av transmitter mounted to the trailer winch housing. The camera is hard wired from there to the rear of the trailer. I pulled wires through the trailer frame. I power from the truck trailer connection. Then I view through wifi on my phone which I attach to my rear view mirror. Occasionally the video will freeze, but it is stable enough to be helpful. Search "wifi av" on amazon and several versions will come up. I use an etsy camera mounted on my guide post. Transmitter and camera was less than $60. I still run with tow mirrors as well. The camera is helpful for the blind spots, but the 170 degree view gives a distorted view making judging distance tough.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would bet most back-up/reverse cameras work as described but I’ve tried to keep a few powered up for more than a couple of minutes (longer than most people would be driving in reverse) and they would overheat causing the picture to distort or disappear completely. the rv camera system cameras do not overheat even after several hours of continuous use, at least that has been my experience.

Another thing to consider is that the system is pretty much useless at night because of all the lights from the traffic behind me all I see is a washed out screen so I switch over from the trailer camera to the bumper camera or turn the display off completely.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks like the transmitter I use. Camera is similar. I run the camera full time while driving, and have not had any overheating problems. I replaced the camera once due to vibration which led to a screw coming out, exposing the camera to moisture. That took two seasons though, and given the under $20 cost, really no big deal.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As for the night driving- my camera sits on top of a 60" guide post, so the lights don't blind the screen too badly. The built in lights on the camera work pretty well for backing down dark ramps though. These just help see what my mirrors miss. Definitely not an alternative to side mirrors, but certainly added better visibility