• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer brakes locking up

OurCrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Twice it happen that the trailer brakes locked up while trying to back it.
New Shoreline trailer
what is causing this and how do you prevent it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
New Shoreline trailer
If you have a flat 5 pin connector on the trailer the last exposed pin is for the reverse lead from the tow vehicle. Assuming all the wiring is correct and working properly when you put the tow vehicle in reverse it powers the fifth line and electronically disables the reverse solenoid in the trailers tongue which will allow you to reverse, even up a hill/driveway without the trailer brakes activating. If this doesn’t work you can use a “D” key (or tape a nickel in the back of the slot) to mechanically block the surge mechanism from being pushed into the tongue and engaging the brakes.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you don't have the physical lock out, and need to buy one, this one is the best I've found

That’s the one I use and have permanently mounted to my boat trailer to replace the oem key which is not magnetic so falls out whenever pressure is released off its sides (I.e., when the tow vehicle moves forward). This is a problem when you have to shift from forward to reverse several times to complete your trailering work. Another alternative is to tape the d key or nickel in place but you always have to have fresh tape available.

if your reverse solenoid is wired and working properlyyou shouldn’t need to use a d key but if you don’t have a choice just don’t forget to put “remove d key” on your pre trailering check list or you will be totally reliant on the tow vehicles brake to stop you.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
When we picked our boat up in MI last May, the dealer left the key shrink wrapped. When I got back to VA I took the shrink wrap off and naturally the key fell out, so I zip tied it. Being a first-time buyer, never having owned a trailer with surge brakes I've left the zip tie in place all year.

This post has cleared a few things. Guess I'll be stopping better with the trailer breaks released.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
New Shoreline trailer
As you back up you are pushing on the tongue of the trailer which actuates the trailer surge brakes.

This is prevented two ways. If you have a seven pin trailer light plug, when you select reverse the back up light wire activates a solenoid in the trailers braking system allowing the pressurized brake fluid to return to the reservoir So no trailer brakes are applied. The second is by using the lock out key that should be hanging from the hitch. All of this info can be found in the trailers owners manual.

OurCrew

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thank you all for the wonderful answers
Answered Three questions that I had
1)Why was the trailer locking up the brakes?
2)What can you do to prevent this from happening?
and one I hadn’t posted in this thread but was intend to ask in another post
3)What is that funny key hanging on the trailer?

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
For same trailer and my actuator brakes locked even with the pin when I back up my brakes are locked, I unlock them by hammering on the brake system, but as soon as I back up with or without lock pin inserted breakers lock again, they stay lock even to foward. At this point I just want to deactivate the brakes for good. Anyone has any clue on how to deactivate the brakes from my shore lander?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For same trailer and my actuator brakes locked even with the pin when I back up my brakes are locked, I unlock them by hammering on the brake system, but as soon as I back up with or without lock pin inserted breakers lock again, they stay lock even to foward. At this point I just want to deactivate the brakes for good. Anyone has any clue on how to deactivate the brakes from my shore lander?
What pin are you talking about? There is a pin that slides in the slot for the surge actuator. You place the lockout key, D shaped, in the slot to keep the pin, tongue from sliding while in reverse. The magnetic one work better than non magnetic as they will not fall out.

Your key may look like this one, hanging from a thin wire on the side of the tongue. D shaped to fit in the slot.

Screenshot_20230219-070404_Chrome.jpg

A video on how to use it.

Last edited:

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
What pin are you talking about? There is a pin that slides in the slot for the surge actuator. You place the lockout key, D shaped, in the slot to keep the pin, tongue from sliding while in reverse. The magnetic one work better than non magnetic as they will not fall out.

Your key may look like this one, hanging from a thin wire on the side of the tongue. D shaped to fit in the slot.

View attachment 194594

That’s is what I refer as “pin”. So is not a key issue but instead something stuck on my breaking system. Most likely due to the salt, I believe is I. The brakes itself…

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 194594

I have the magnetic one. Works and you don’t have to worry about losing it.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That’s is what I refer as “pin”. So is not a key issue but instead something stuck on my breaking system. Most likely due to the salt, I believe is I. The brakes itself…
Well then if the actuator pin is forward in the slot and brakes are still engaged then you have at least one stuck caliper. I replaced one on my trailer.

dapowerelectric

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well then if the actuator pin is forward in the slot and brakes are still engaged then you have at least one stuck caliper. I replaced one on my trailer.
This sounds about right as is only the port side.
will look into it! Mahalo!!🤙🏽

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This sounds about right as is only the port side.
will look into it! Mahalo!!🤙🏽
Find your owner's manual, there should be some info in there about what to cross reference when looking for parts. My trailer, for instance, says I should be looking for replacement parts for an '06 or '07 Kia something or other. Without that info, I doubt you're going to find a parts store employee that has any clue on how to figure out what to get for you, and they'll need to know what size engine is in that Shorelander before they can find you the correct wiper blades 😅