• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer bunk covering?

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Just noticed the carpeting on my trailer bunks is starting to wear through, so a replacement is in order. What is the consensus on the best material for covering the bunks? Stick with carpeting? Ultimate Bunk Boards? Gatorbak? Some other new product? FWIW, I boat in saltwater and trailer every time.

props2you

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm in freshwater and have redone trailer bunks 3x. I use treated 2 x 6's for all bunks, with outdoor carpet. I can usually find enough remnant carpet from a big box store to do the job. I use hot galvanized 3/4" poultry net staples to fasten to the wood. Make sure all seams/staples are on 1 side so that would be your bottom bunk side. I also get new galvanized screws for the bunks and wood glue them in when installing.

Not difficult, just time consuming as I trailer mine. So I have to measure, prep and make prior to. Then take to the lake to float the boat off, pull the trailer out, pull off old bunks and install new ones.

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just re-did mine last weekend with Caliber and pressure treated lumbar I did use new steel screws as I could not find any SS screws. It's more slippery then carpet and has a lifetime warranty not sure whos live. Comes in black and grey. I used gray as my trailer is galvanized. This is the Canadian link but a US product. Looks great and installs well.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01A8NKT0Y/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_1

Bernd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
did you add them just over the old bunks? I had to replace the wood and screws all of which were rotted.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I just screwed them right over the carpet on bunks.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any new products for covering or replacing bunks.

1. ultimate bunk boards now has a backing metal piece.

My wood still seams good thinking of removing carpet and recovering it. The black carpet is getting white in areas from the hull so thinking of changing from carpet. Kinda wonder if some of these non carpet products are more for lifts than trailers.
1. Was looking at gatorback XP, sythetic covers
2. Caliber cover for bunks.
Any suggestions, recommendations, or warnings to avoid. thanks in advance

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I covered mine with surfix last year and I’ve been very happy
Trailer Bunk Slides and Pads, Boat and Jet Ski Trailer Glides and Pads
Just put the boat in the water for 2 weeks a year and noticed my carpet is really flattened. Anyone have any issues with Surfix? I'm thinking of ordering it. It looks promising, but I don't like how it doesn't cover the whole bunk, leaving less support for the hull or am I over thinking it? I'm thinking a quick wipe with a rag or hand broom, just before loading will keep it debris free while loading. Not much sand in the fingerlakes..haha.
Any comments or experience would be appreciated. Thanks

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, so no input from the audience..

Purchased the Surfix Trailer Guides and very impressed with the quality. Some of the product website reviews stated screws were too short, but I had no issues with them grabbing and they are stainless. I didn't have to replace the wood, just the carpet was getting too worn. (4 year old trailer :()
I used 3M 4200 to seal the screws as I installed them through the pre-made holes in the guides over the carpet. The sizes and coverage fit perfect, no cutting or modifying. They recommend a pilot hole of an 1/8", but used a 3/32" for better grab and a tighter screw feel.
Boat is amazingly easier on and off, DON'T DISCONNECT THE SAFETY CHAIN OR WINCH STRAP BEFORE YOUR IN THE WATER on the ramp or the boat will slide right off..:oops:
I certainly don't power load onto the trailer #1 you'll suck up something from the ramp and #2 most ramps its prohibited because it causes low depth issues at the bottom of the ramp.
On my usual ramp, I put the fenders of the trailer just under the water which got 90% of the bunks wet. I would crank a little ways to the bow roller, but it was tough and the bunks would balk a little, not cause of dirt, just friction from carpet to hull...didn't like the feeling.
With Surfix totally different experience right up to the bow roller with ease..
When I go to get the truck for loading I quickly wipe down the Surfix with a rag and some sauce before I put the boat on and this insures no dirt comes between the Surfix and the hull.
So far so good..hope this helps.

Also while I had the trailer in the garage I removed the wheels and greased everything and checked the bearings..I attached the lug nut torque chart for our trailers as an fyi..

707DC1E8-4FED-4509-B64F-CC7ED55ABF47.jpeg35A91CE8-9528-4AAB-9BD7-0ED86B18C0D8.jpeg144B316F-41D8-4952-99E4-2A2B61315ABE.jpeg027A267B-7A4C-4CCB-A543-CD27134C9245_1_201_a.jpeg965C9D06-803D-4904-B9AE-7593EA2AED48.jpeg66576D7E-F433-46E7-AE5F-3137FC2F2C13.jpeg9CDFB801-DDA8-4776-9A2C-50F8CA3631AC.jpeg01FA21EB-927A-405B-B86A-6D449C1FB0FA_1_201_a.jpeg

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The common polypropylene carpet material that covers most trailer bunks serves two primary purposes: a smooth surface for the hull to slide on when launching and loading the boat, and protection for the hull when the boat is supported by the trailer, in storage, or being towed. It's quick drying with built-in UV-protection, and the fibers are bound together and backed with a thin, rubber-like resin membrane called PVB.

Jane305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Grady White
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The common polypropylene carpet material that covers most trailer bunks serves two primary purposes: a smooth surface for the hull to slide on when launching and loading the boat, and protection for the hull when the boat is supported by the trailer, in storage, or being towed. It's quick drying with built-in UV-protection, and the fibers are bound together and backed with a thin, rubber-like resin membrane called PVB.
I recently bought CE Smith trailer roll carpet, this 20 oz marine bunk carpet is made with marine-grade and high-quality upholstery material that is heavy duty and can sustain an impact without visible abrasions and tears. This is a product I have thrown my money on and had no regrets doing so because of its premium quality, and it shows on a good number of positive reviews that are recommending it for all enthusiasts, both old and the new.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I replaced my bunks with new ones that I built from scratch a few years ago. (Pressure treated lumber, SS staples and marine grade carpet). This season I added clarinet bunk slides. Only had the boat out once but did notice that the boat slides up the bunks a lot easier than it used to. I power load my boat and skis whenever I can so installed slides on both trailers. Before I installed them on the pwc trailer I bought premade bunks online. They 7’ bunks were a lot more expensive than the 5’ and 6’ versions but I wanted longer bunks for the new waverunners one of which a foot longer than the ski it replaced. What was really nice about them is that all I had to do was install them, delivery was included in the price. I also use a ramp and clamp on the boat trailer so any help getting the boat to the bow stop is welcome.

Attachments

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Has anyone used Gatorbak bunk covers?

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@InmyElement How have your Surfix Trailer Bunks faired since you installed them? Good as Day 1? Things you would've done differently?

TIA
At the end of the season I noticed some light scratches, so I removed them and filled in the screw holes with silicon. I returned them. Sorry I didn't post it with an update. You wouldn't think a product made specially for sliding protecting the hulls would scratch, but it did. I can see if I can find the pictures I sent to Surfix. They were great to deal with. I buffed out most of the scratches that are visible. It took some work. I was even coating them with WD-40 prior to loading. I'm in the Finger Lakes, so not even sand to worry about..its all rock up here.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@InmyElement Thanks for the feedback. I thought that is what you might say. I don’t see how such a hard surface is compatible with a gelcoat boat. It seems like they are a better fit for aluminum or painted hulls and should be advertised as such.

I don’t trailer regularly, but I’d say a lubricant is par for the course. I use silicon spray on my carpet, and really see a difference when I forget (no power loading allowed where I am.)

Can0n11

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The Gatorback/LED strip light option is interesting. It seems it would make alignment easier in the dark.