• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer bunk mount bolts broke

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Took the boat out of the water today after running around probably for the last time this yr. Luckily my better half noticed the boat wasn't sitting rite and the bunk had moved. I got to looking and the bolts had rusted and broke off. We had to put it back in the water and I had to get under the boat and move the bunk back over the mounts and her slowly out while I held the board in place. So now I need to figure how I can fix this without putting the boat in the water and leaving it since I don't have a.slip.

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the bunks are okay just get some galv lag bolts and secure existing. However, I’d just take the time to replace them. Use a short bungee to keep the bunk on the trailer until you replace it.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I will try to get a better picture tomorrow but the mount you see is just one of two. The second mount is a piece of galvanized metal about 2ft long or so that the board sits in and that mounts bolts to the welded mount on the trailer itself. It's a karavan trailer from what I'm told, I'm not a fan of galvanized trailers they are ugly.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out of the water today after running around probably for the last time this yr. Luckily my better half noticed the boat wasn't sitting rite and the bunk had moved. I got to looking and the bolts had rusted and broke off. We had to put it back in the water and I had to get under the boat and move the bunk back over the mounts and her slowly out while I held the board in place. So now I need to figure how I can fix this without putting the boat in the water and leaving it since I don't have a.slip.
Bummer about the broken bunk board. Here’s a thread that covers how to raise the boat off the trailer. Hope it helps. https://jetboaters.net/threads/jacking-up-my-boat-part-way-to-replace-a-bunk-board.8229/#post-142807

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You don't need a slip to do the job. Build your new bunks ahead of time before you go to the ramp and it shouldn't take more then 45mins to swap them out. Buy some pressure treated pine 2x6s, indoor/outdoor carpet, stainless staples, and some new stainless or zinc dipped lag bolts. Take your drill and a socket wrench when you go to the ramp to do the swap. Once you're done, to reward yourself, go for a boat ride. I sourced everything from Home Depot except the carpet. I got it from Overtons.com.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I'm not sure if the boards need replaced they feel solid but until I take the carpet off I won't know for sure. The parts that broke are the main brackets that hold the boards the bolts or studs that goes threw them to the mount on the trailer. I've not had a trailer made like this one before they have been like shorelander trailers this one is a little more sturdy in these areas but who ever had it before just didn't clean it after salt water I'm guessing.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Has anyone ever tried the composite boards like for decks on these? Or are they just not strong enough

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tip: Put tape on the drill bit so you know when to stop drilling into the new bunk.

You can do this!

F601853C-BF56-4226-8A51-7F8EC9548CBC.jpeg 4134EB32-A0E3-43EE-9219-82DFCE9DEC61.jpeg 1220267B-2573-417B-B7D4-5B1393F072F1.jpeg

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Tip: Put tape on the drill bit so you know when to stop drilling into the new bunk.

You can do this!

View attachment 83659 View attachment 83660 View attachment 83661
Looks great! I have done those type before but the mounts on a karavan trailer different then any trailer I've worked on it had. The bunks sit inside a metal mount then that mount mounts to a mount on the trailer and the one mount has studs that go threw it to the trailer mount those are the bolts that rusted. I've emailed the trailer company about parts and a parts catalog but haven't heard back. I think the bunk are fine but won't know for sure till the carpet is pulled.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks great! I have done those type before but the mounts on a karavan trailer different then any trailer I've worked on it had. The bunks sit inside a metal mount then that mount mounts to a mount on the trailer and the one mount has studs that go threw it to the trailer mount those are the bolts that rusted. I've emailed the trailer company about parts and a parts catalog but haven't heard back. I think the bunk are fine but won't know for sure till the carpet is pulled.
I assumed you were running a MFI trailer. My bad.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone ever tried the composite boards like for decks on these? Or are they just not strong enough
If you're talking about Ultimate Bunk Boards I wouldn't recommend them. Several of the guys here on the forum went that route and they flexed a good bit and they were more abrasive on the hull then dirty carpet and was doing damage. Some of them wound up covering the UBB's with carpet or replaced them completely with wood boards and carpet.

Kevin hughes

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thanks for the info that's what I wanted to hear