• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer coupler lock

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use this coupler lock on my trailer but it keeps bending when I tow.

Is there one that doesn't bend?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-Coupler-Lock/50437640
Just checking, You aren't using that lock to join the hitch to you tow vehicle, right?

That lock looks like it's simply as a security measure to lock the coupler on the trailer. I don't know how that could bend unless your coupler for some reason is trying to forcefully open under a load. In that case I would be concerned about why it wants to uncouple at all.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
yea hitch to truck is not it...

I noticed the review saying they bend while towing ...

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a Bulldog (580410) Coupler Lock and it's bending as well. This occurs when maneuvering the trailer at very sharp angles (i.e. 90 degrees) getting into the driveway and garage. The area where the lock must be installed is subject to hitting the actual hitch bracket coming off the car. Not sure how this can be fixed, but I've resolved to removing the locking coupler and installing the factory pin-style coupler before backing the boat/trailer down the driveway and into the garage.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had the same problem. To fix it I purchased a 1/4" x 4" (wanted 5" or 6'' but having a short bolt in normal for me) stainless steel bolt and cut a groove in the right location for the lock to attach. I used my dremel tool to cut the groove and it only took a few minutes.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2870.PNG This is what I use on my camper, the boat I just use the little pin that came with the trailer.
I still can't picture how it is hitting anything, must be at an extreme turning angle that I would never attempt, looks to me like if it is hitting something your trailer is very very close to hitting the bumper or something as well.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 57856 This is what I use on my camper, the boat I just use the little pin that came with the trailer.
I still can't picture how it is hitting anything, must be at an extreme turning angle that I would never attempt, looks to me like if it is hitting something your trailer is very very close to hitting the bumper or something as well.
I believe the lock assembly of gets stuck pointed backwards not downward and then when you stop the tongue slides in hitting the lock which puts pressure on the pin causing it to bend.

Here is my poor attempt to show the lock part stuck in pointed backwards and not downward.
Trailer Hitch.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the lock assembly of gets stuck pointed backwards not downward and then when you stop the tongue slides in hitting the lock which puts pressure on the pin causing it to bend.

Here is my poor attempt to show the lock part stuck in pointed backwards and not downward.
View attachment 57860
Ahh.
Got it now, I was picturing a normal "old school" hitch coupler.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
When you're turning the trailer at severe angles, like getting 90 degrees to the garage and such, the pin can hit the side of the bracket that the ball is mounted on. This does not occur from the brake actuator. Here's a picture of my coupler when I hitched the boat to the truck the other day. I could not put my locking or smaller factory pin inside the hole because of the ball bracket angle to the coupler. When backing the boat up, the larger pin hits the side of the bracket and bends it. I now must remove the larger locking pin and install the factory pin before I got 90 degrees to the trailer.

Attachments