• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer dolly

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just purchased a 2019 AR195, and am finding it's a bit more difficult to move around than my old boat. I had my son help me push it back into the garage the first time last week, but I'm wondering if with one of these trailer dollies a reasonably fit adult could do it by himself:

Overton's Adjustable Height Trailer Dolly

My driveway has a slight incline, but nothing major. The tricky part is getting it through the garage door with only a fraction of an inch clearance overhead. We got it in with the OEM tongue jack lowered all the way - I didn't know if the dolly would keep the tongue as low (or lower)? I need to measure the current height of the tongue to see where it's at, and if it's lower than 19.5" (the lowest the dolly can be lowered to), then this model probably wouldn't work for me. But if there's a similarly designed model that does sit/adjust lower and anyone has experience with them, any advice or observations would be appreciated.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use that dolly for my sx230. Works well for getting the boat backed into the storage space with precision and less chance of hitting something hard. I have found that the frame bent when I was using it but that might have been because the bolts loosened up and I didn't notice till after I used it.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Search on YouTube “ Boat 13 backyard moving “
You will get a video of bold guy. I think that is exactly what you need

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the dolly make the boat easier to move around than just pushing from the bow/trailer tongue? I've heard that it gives you more leverage, but never having used one, I just wasn't sure if it makes it significantly easier or not. I mean there's no magic per se, it's still 2500+ lbs you're pushing around, but I don't need to move it very far.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes it does make it easier then pushing the tongue of the trailer. I am able to push it by myself while my wife tells me if I'm aboutt to hit something.

I think as long as the incline isn't to significant the dolly will work great assuming you still get the clearance you need when the dolly height is lowered.

I have noticed that it is best to keep the trailer Jack wheel just off the ground while using the dolly in case the dolly tips forward to much. If you let it tip forward to much while having the jack folded up there is a chance the trailer will fall all the way to the ground. This dolly has nothing preventing it from doing so.

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks!! Yeah, I probably don't want that tongue smacking the driveway, smashing the dolly in the process. I need to have it on the lowest setting anyways, since the boat just barely clears the garage door opening as it is. Hopefully I can even get one that sits even slightly lower than the tongue jack sits at its' lowest point, but I'll be happy if it's the same height even.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also switching to radials will make it easily a 1 person job...

stevenk2

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also switching to radials will make it easily a 1 person job...
:):) You must be reading my mind...…..I'm working on getting a new set of radials already. I have some long road trips planned this season, and I don't want to take a chance on blowouts with the OEM bias plys. I'd heard they drive and handle better too, it's a bonus if it makes the trailer easier to maneuver in and out of the garage on the dolly as well.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have one and it works great moving the boat and campers around.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll be looking at this come summer, just in case I can't get the boat on the slab with the truck. It's a tight turn onto a narrow slab.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll be looking at this come summer, just in case I can't get the boat on the slab with the truck. It's a tight turn onto a narrow slab.
That looks awesome, I love the drill adapter idea!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2 cents: I bought a similar trailer dolly years ago, it works well handling a light load without an incline but is useless for heavy loads and/or even a slight incline. Currently I use it to move my jet skis and trailer around. I can’t move my boat with this thing attached.

One alternative to an electric dolly or trailer valet is to install and use a hitch to the front for your tow vehicle. These cost around $100 on etrader.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2 cents: I bought a similar trailer dolly years ago, it works well handling a light load without an incline but is useless for heavy loads and/or even a slight incline. Currently I use it to move my jet skis and trailer around. I can’t move my boat with this thing attached.

One alternative to an electric dolly or trailer valet is to install and use a hitch to the front for your tow vehicle. These cost around $100 on etrader.
Would it work in this type of scenario?

Once my boat is already in the garage, throwing these on to then just slide it over against the wall so it's more out of the way.

I'd still use my car to get it in the garage and whatnot, but once it's in there to move it around easier (flat garage floor).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would it work in this type of scenario?

Once my boat is already in the garage, throwing these on to then just slide it over against the wall so it's more out of the way.

I'd still use my car to get it in the garage and whatnot, but once it's in there to move it around easier (flat garage floor).
If you have a single axle trailer / light boat you should be able to use a simple dolly to move the boat and trailer around in your garage but if you have a tandem axle trailer I don’t think it will work but I’m an average size guy, if your built like Mr. Olympia you may be able to move it around effortlessly.

Theryan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you have a single axle trailer / light boat you should be able to use a simple dolly to move the boat and trailer around in your garage but if you have a tandem axle trailer I don’t think it will work but I’m an average size guy, if your built like Mr. Olympia you may be able to move it around effortlessly.
Yeah, I can already move it by myself, that isn't an issue. I just want the ability to strafe sideways (which these appear to be able to do).

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you can already push it by hand, and just need a "helping hand' that keeps it in the right direction, this might do the trick cheaply.

600 Lbs. Heavy Duty Trailer Dolly

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I can already move it by myself, that isn't an issue. I just want the ability to strafe sideways (which these appear to be able to do).
I've learned to get REALLY close with the truck, and then do the "Austin Powers" maneuver (as my wife calls it) to get it the rest of the way over to the wall. Usually about 3 "sets" of forward and back with teh right angles and I'm tucked in to the side wall with less than an inch to spare. My garage has about 18in to the "side" of the door opening that I try to tuck the boat back into.

This picture shows the small amount of "tuck" I have to deal with though.
IMG_20190420_163105.jpg

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Search on YouTube “ Boat 13 backyard moving “
You will get a video of bold guy. I think that is exactly what you need
Cool thanks for sharing!! I've been contemplating getting the parkit 360 for a couple months now for a similar tight situation at my house. Glad to see it works as I've been imagining it would!