• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer frame rubs on the keel

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The front frame rail of my trailer can hit the keel of my boat if I don't have the fenders pretty far out of the water. For now I load and then pull up a it but something doesn't seem right. I raised the bunks a bit since one of them definitely slid down on one corner. Note to self - check the trailer bolts often

See the picture below and the area that I surrounded with some black tape for protection. You can see that even still, I only have about an inch of clearance.

Any advice?

image.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like an aftermarket trailer, because that is close!! I wonder if you could mount a roller there. If not, I'm sure you could secure a scuff pad of some sort.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I like the roller idea!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A pic of your bow stop and front area of the trailer might help. Sometimes you can slide the bow stop forward which will raise your keel.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The trailer is aftermarket and not the OEM trailer. I have been looking at hull rollers but I think I would have to be careful about it supporting any or too much of the boat's weight. I called eTrailer and they were going to look at this. They called me back and said that I could possibly add more rollers to the sides of the trailer but I don't think they understood that this is a bunk trailer. I will do some more hunting for a low profile, hull/bow roller.

Here are 2 pictures of the trailer tongue and bow stop. There are adjustments in the bow stop/roller that looks like I could move the roller up (see the hole below). I don't know that this would improve things. Trailers are tough since you can't really do much unless the boat is off of it.

IMG_0487.JPG IMG_0488.JPG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your bow stop is totally movable. You can slide the 45 degree part forward and back. The arm with the roller can slide up and down the 45 degree arm also. No holes need to be drilled, just tighten bolts/nuts.

Now that we see your bow stop is able to move, let's see pics of the bunks and brackets. Pic of the rear of boat in relation to the end of bunks will help.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, you are right about the bow stop being movable. I think when you see the bunks (picture #2) it will help show how I may not be able to move it back any. The heaviest part of the boat is where the bunks are now so I probably don't want to let any of the boat hang further back where it will not be supported by bunks. Not sure

Thanks for staying with me on this. Let me know if any other pics will help.

IMG_0489.JPG IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0491.JPG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found your problem!!

Lower the bunk brackets in the rear as far as you can. That will raise your bow up equal distance. You'll have to move your bow stop to a new position once you reload the boat.

After moving the brackets down, load the boat so the stern is even to the rear of bunks like it is now. Now adjust your bow stop.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Additionally, I'm hoping that the front bunk brackets can accept the rears being lower.

You could probably use a nice floor jack and some wood to raise up the boat to do this without taking the boat off.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf , lowering the rear bunk bracket will have my boat pitched at an angle. In other words the bunks will not be parallel with the ground. Is that really okay? Also, if I lower the rear bracket, it will definitely hit the ramp since I barely clear the ramps now.

I did raise the front bunks recently to try to fix this problem since when I looked at them I noticed that they had actually slipped down a bit.

What do you think?

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you have room to move your bow stop back a couple inches, that would get your keel away from that frame. Imo anyway.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bow stop does not have 2 holes allowing it to move towards the back. It has a single, open hole that would allow me to change the angle only. I think.... it may be hard to see in that picture. Do you see what I mean?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The bow stop does not have 2 holes allowing it to move towards the back. It has a single, open hole that would allow me to change the angle only. I think.... it may be hard to see in that picture. Do you see what I mean?
It looks like you can loosen and slide the whole bow stop assembly forward and backwards along the center frame of the trailer.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you lower the rear brackets your bow should not hit the cross braces because it should be 3' under water when loading/unloading. A 4" angle should not matter much on the trailer. I think it's the trade off of owning that trailer.

Your bow stop slides after loosening all bolts on the tongue.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Understood and thank you all for the ideas. I will try a combination of these approaches. I have to make it work since it is a pretty nice, upgraded trailer.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another method would be adding another 2x4 to the bunks raising it up another 1.5".

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like you can loosen and slide the whole bow stop assembly forward and backwards along the center frame of the trailer.
That was also my thought. The stern hanging a couple of inches off of the bunk is not an issue. That would also slightly lighten the tongue weight on your tow vehicle. My bunks do not touch the very end of my stern.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went with the roller idea and so far so good. Thanks for the help
IMG_0703.JPG