• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Prep for Long Haul

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are travailing out boat this weekend to the beach about 230 miles away. What are some of the things I need to do to get the trailer/boat ready for the trip? I know it is a little last minute but it crept up on us pretty quick.

Thanks!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
grease the bearings, My MFI trailer came with bearing buddies, not sure if that is stock or the previous owner added them.
check the fluid if you surge brakes or hydraulic brakes.

From an ocean perspective:
spray down the boats metals and engines with a silicone, salt away after the trip, rinse, you can salt away prior as well.
Is the trailer galvanized ..??...

some launches will provide spigots to flush the engines if you have the adapter. I typically go straight to a lake a run it for a good 30+ minuites

230/460 miles isn't bad at all. from Charlotte is that Wilmington you're targeting?

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Close we are heading to Surf City/Topsail Island.

I have bearing buddies as well and will grease them as well as check the brake fluid. I will probably flush the boat at the beach house after each run. Trailer is galvanized.

Thanks for the tips @justason

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also check your tire psi, don't forget your spare too. Also, make sure you have a way to change the tire (jack and lug wrench that fits). I also remove and lube the lug nuts each season to avoid being stuck on the side of the road if one of the lug nuts gets stuck.

Good luck and have a fun trip.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Take her for a 30-40 minute highway ride asap. After the run feel the hubs and make sure your hubs are lubed and performing ok.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drive 65 or slower to help prevent the tires from heating up, cover on properly, poles down if not the standard shipping cover.

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the tips. We are in no rush to get down there so speed won't be exceeded.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Be sure to let the boat sit for a while upon arrival. Hot hubs will suck in water when you dunk it, thus decreasing the life if your grease.
You can always hose the hubs down to help speed up the process. Enjoy te trip!

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the tip. We will probably wait a day or 2 before we put her in the water.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also check your tire psi, don't forget your spare too. Also, make sure you have a way to change the tire (jack and lug wrench that fits). I also remove and lube the lug nuts each season to avoid being stuck on the side of the road if one of the lug nuts gets stuck.

Good luck and have a fun trip.
I picked up my boat last summer and was concerned about stuck lug nuts or breaking a stud when trying to get them off with a flat on the side of the road. Just the other day I grabbed a new 4-way lug wrench to keep on the boat and before stowing it away, I broke every lug nut loose. To my surprise there were no issues (thankfully). I like your idea of breaking them loose each year and I am adding this to my annual PM's along with applying some anti-seize.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bring along a trailer locking pin unless you know it is completely safe wherever you are storing it

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Visually inspect your trailer sidewalls and between the treads for dry rotting and rubber cracking. And everything else listed.

I travel with a 12 volt air pump and tire repair kit.
Sometimes an small leak can easily be repaired quicker than installing the spare.

Also have pressure and temperature sensors on trailer tires with wireless display in van.
We drive form Chicago to Tennessee annually so the sensors were important to me in the mountains and construction zones.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Visually inspect your trailer sidewalls and between the treads for dry rotting and rubber cracking. And everything else listed.

I travel with a 12 volt air pump and tire repair kit.
Sometimes an small leak can easily be repaired quicker than installing the spare.

Also have pressure and temperature sensors on trailer tires with wireless display in van.
We drive form Chicago to Tennessee annually so the sensors were important to me in the mountains and construction zones.
I've never heard of wireless temp/psi sensors like that. That's a great idea. What type/brand do you have or recommend?

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I installed the TST Truck System Tire Monitoring
TPMS507-6 | 507RV 6 Sensor Tire Pressure Monitoring | $299.00
purchased online

I purchased this about 2 years ago, something newer and better may be available. These have worked well for me.

I also added the optional repeater on a switch to get stronger and more consistant signals.

My van is a 2500 series and recommends 80psi in the rear tires, but it rides rough at 80 psi. I have been running the extra 2 sensors on the rear of my van, and monitoring the temperatures. I have been running 50psi for a year without having any temperature increase or handling effects.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I also carry an IR gun to shot at the hubs when we stop at rest stops. Thanks @Boat Crazy for showing me this trick. It worked well on our 7 hour trip to Indiana last week.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
^ What they all said....very good advice. Oh, one other thing,

Have fun and be safe. It's not a race, take your time, enjoy the trip, take lots of pictures.

And if you run into any trouble....you know where to find us! :cool: