• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer question for the experts

Capoditutticapi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I have a question for any Trailer gurus

I have 2005 sx230 with a MFI tandem axle trailer. Im changing the whole suspension including axles. I already have the Axles, and hubs.

I measured my double eyed springs and got a measurement of 26 1/2.

The Equalizer measures 5 1/2 from eye center to eye center.

I am having a little difficulty finding 4 leaf 26" springs that are rated at 1750 or higher and finding 5 1/2 equalizers

My question is can I go to a 25-25 1/4 " spring and use a 7 3/4 equalizer, or would that move the axles slightly and run a chance on the tires rubbing against fender?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No experience doing what u r doing but it would seem the axels would not be centered any more. And a shorter spring may make them too stiff depending on weight rating. Have you thought of just replacing the trailer instead of all of this? I replaced my MfI trailer with an aftermarket aluminum trailer. The trailer was about 3k and I got 1500 bucks for my old mfi trailer. That's about the amount of money i was gonna have to invest in the trailer its self. Best decision I ever made.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buy 26. I did this a couple years ago. I ordered 27” first and they didn’t fit. Had to return them and order 26” for my 05 AR230.

capt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just changed all my springs and equalizers and u bolts on my trailer today. This worked perfect for my trailer Leaf Springs and Equalizer Kit. In order to get the proper measurement for leaf springs you have to measure when they are not under load. If I had to do it again I would maybe go 25 1/4 or 25 1/2. But as I said it worked out great and looks good.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depending on what your driving if I had to do it again I don’t think I would replace my brakes because of the salt water.

JMP1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced in April 2019 on my 2005 MFI trailer as well. Both axles (Galvanized 3500#), Ubolts, (4) springs (25-1/2) and upgraded to 15” rims & tires. I kept my equalizer as it was in great shape all for $1000. Took the original axle to trailer place and they made the axles for me (Dexter). I didn’t put brakes on but they can be added at any time. Brakes are required on boats over 23 ft long in FL but like someone said earlier they will rust if not maintained and rinsed off at all times as mine were shot from previous owners. Don’t really need them with my Dodge 2500 Diesel

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys, I have a question for any Trailer gurus

I have 2005 sx230 with a MFI tandem axle trailer. Im changing the whole suspension including axles. I already have the Axles, and hubs.

I measured my double eyed springs and got a measurement of 26 1/2.

The Equalizer measures 5 1/2 from eye center to eye center.

I am having a little difficulty finding 4 leaf 26" springs that are rated at 1750 or higher and finding 5 1/2 equalizers

My question is can I go to a 25-25 1/4 " spring and use a 7 3/4 equalizer, or would that move the axles slightly and run a chance on the tires rubbing against fender?

Where did you get your axles? I need to replace one on my trailer.

JMP1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Davis Trailer Sales in Plant City, FL.
I bought the new hangers, U-bolts and 3" bolts that go through the spring, hangers & equalizer, (9/16"), my old bolts were 1/2" so I had to have the 9/16" plastic bushings. They have the Equalizer as well but mine was better as it was Galvanized. Also bought new rims/tire combo but she was out of stock on the 14" rims so she gave me 15" rim/tire combo which fit just fine. Plenty of room

SarahKal

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hello does anyone know the cost of a new MFI trailer. I have a 2005 Yamaha AR230 with the trailer its been galvanized and in great shape along with guiding poles and new lights/work, it looks new still. im working on an estate inventory and curious to know the price of just the trailer, without the boat as I can't seem to find anything. thank you!

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
From Memory the MFI factory had a fire and closed up, 2005 trailer value 1500 to 3500. The higher price would be if brakes are perfect minimal rust, new tires and bunks in great condition