• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer wheel bearing grease

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While doing the 10 hour service on my FSH, I hopped out of the boat with grease gun in hand and got a brilliant idea! I gave each wheel bearing a few squirts of Yamalube marine grease. The blue stuff. Then I Googled it and read all about grease incompatibility. I found this site that indicates Aluminum Complex ( I think that's what Yamalube marine grease is) and Lithium Complex ( most likely what comes in trailer wheel bearings) is compatible.
http://www.nskamericas.com/cps/rde/xbcr/na_en/03_TechTalk_Incompatibility_of_greases.pdf
Anyone else do this and hopefully not had any unpleasant side effects?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Never even thought about it, although, by the time my trailer got home from picking it up in Florida it pretty much had no grease!
I should think about packing some for the Bimini trip where I go to Florida and back again!
I used a valvoline brand.

jpass

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I just did my bearings a few weeks back and I used Lubrimatic Marine Grease. Several trailer shops locally recommended it. Keep in mind when you grease your hubs, you should have the wheel off the ground so you can spin the wheel as you pump the grease in to evenly distribute the new grease to the bearing.

grease.jpg

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I, too, have never even thought about it. I've trailered many miles and have never had a failure due to grease. I have never stuck with a particular brand or specific type. I bet if you took your trailer to a shop to get serviced, they wouldn't check the grease for compatibility - they'd just pump in whatever was in their guns. I'm sure some may disagree and have other inputs, but I think you're fine!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With too many greases at home i finally put a label on each hub as to what grease is inside. Amsoil is my grease of choice but i am testing my belray waterproof grease in my dirt bike trailer. Cam.

Ps bought a TT last fall so i have to do the full 4 bearing re-grease when it warms up. I will probably use the amzoil. Maybe add some bearing buddies. The TT guys hate BB but all my bearing troubles seem to go away when i put them on

Last edited:

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On our travel trailers, I pull the cap and check the appearance of the grease about once a year. The longest I've kept a TT has been seven years. I've only re-packed one when I picked up some steel wire on the interstate, wrapped around the axle and damaged the rear seal. It got had packed with Valvoline bearing grease. Our new TT has EZ lube axles. I wish the boat trailer had them instead of the bearing buddies. The boat trailer concerns me with the possibility of water intrusion. It would get a fresh shot of grease regularly if it had them.