• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer Wheel Specs

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Im wanting to get a new set of aluminum rims for my trailer. I know its a six lug wheel, but what are the specs? I see a ton of "0" offset wheels out there. I may even want to go with a larger rim, and a lower profile tire. I didnt want to pay the crazy price for the optional ones for my boat.

Here is what Im thinking will work. Any ideas???

Wheel Specifications

Diameter: 15"

Width: 6"

Capacity: 2,830 LBS

Center Bore: 4.25"

Bolt pattern: 6 on 5.5"

Offset: "0"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-6-Lug-Bearcat-Black-Aluminum-Trailer-Wheel-camper-rv-boat-car-hauler-/121210163988?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c38b05314&vxp=mtr

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You most likely know more about this then most of us. Most here have 5 lug 14 inch wheels. I do like the wheels though.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
^^ Looks like its not a Shorelander. But I was able to confirm the above specs. My tires are 225/75/15, so Im going to go with a one inch bigger rim. This will lessen the "doughnut" look to the tire, and look more aggressive to compliment the boat.

So using this chart, if I go with a 16x6" rim, my tire size is .05% close to oem spec if I use a 225/70/r16.
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Now to look for a nice set of wheels, and tires. These Scorpion tires look really nice, and have the correct load range.
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tires/Pirelli/Scorpion-ATR-225-70R16.htm

Last edited:

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I don't know much about trailer tires, and I guess it could depend on how far you are towing, but here goes:

1) Doesn't the taller sidewall provide a bit more "cushion" to the trailer suspension, perhaps smoothing out the little bumps more.
2) In the same note, especially in Florida, is an aggressive tread pattern necessary or desirable? The additional rolling resistance would just eat into your mileage more, it doesn't seem like you will be trailering off-road or through mud/snow very often.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @jonw9 pointed out, you boat will have a rougher ride if you switch to a lower profile tire. You will also have a greater likelihood of damaging the wheels on curbs, rocks or other obstacles.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't know much about trailer tires, and I guess it could depend on how far you are towing, but here goes:

1) Doesn't the taller sidewall provide a bit more "cushion" to the trailer suspension, perhaps smoothing out the little bumps more.
2) In the same note, especially in Florida, is an aggressive tread pattern necessary or desirable? The additional rolling resistance would just eat into your mileage more, it doesn't seem like you will be trailering off-road or through mud/snow very often.
Actually, tires on the trailer are very stiff, the radial Pirelli tires will provide a better cushion. The stock tires also have a curved contact patch to them. The new tires will provide superior traction in the puddles and rain. That happens ALOT here in Florida. I have a friend that upgraded his Donzi to those tires, and loves them.

My SeaRay had 16 rims on the trailer. It was very stable.

As @jonw9 pointed out, you boat will have a rougher ride if you switch to a lower profile tire. You will also have a greater likelihood of damaging the wheels on curbs, rocks or other obstacles.
The sidewall will only be about 1/2" smaller as the tire is .5" bigger. Not much of a difference, plus these tires have a rim guard built into them. Also, the galvanized steel rim that comes with the trailer is heavier than the aluminum wheel. Gas mileage will not be affected.

Im still doing some research on the setup, but looks like it wont hurt anything at all.

Big E

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
did you find the wheels you were looking for. I'm thinking of changing the stock ones that came with my trailer. show pictures

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Last edited: