• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailering a boat with rear view camera

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
My FJ Cruiser hauls the FSH210 with no problem, but my rear view mirror is completely blocked by the boat and the side view mirrors are too short to see around the boat and the image is very limited. I have no idea what the traffic looks like behind the trailered boat and this is really unsafe at any speed.

For $125 I installed a camera in the boat T-top compartment (hard top version) and a rear view mirror overlay display in the car.
The camera is permanently mounted in the T-top compartment spring loaded hatch and a removeable signal cable is run from the compartment to the car rear view mirror display. The display is 4K image quality and temporarily attaches to the car's rear view mirror with rubber straps. Its a little spooky at first, because it appears as thou the boat is not there, but the rocket launchers in the image provide reassurance.
As a bonus the camera is an aid during backup.rear view.jpgCamera.jpg
Amazon: rear view mirror display/camera
Here is the result:

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife’s Tahoe has the rear view camera and not a mirror. I don’t drive it much but when I do I can’t get used to it!

we just got a new 5th wheel that is prewired for a rear camera, I’ve been looking at them quite a bit lately. And think I will purchase one soon,

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Great idea and I like the birds-eye view better than my set up, which is a solar powered license plate camera, but it works!!!
@vesder21 i thought about doing the same but was worried the camera or electronics will go bad due to dunking the trailer in the water at the ramp over time. I know these things are water resistant from rain/snow etc. but I am not sure they are water proof?
how long have you had and are there any issues related to that?

@Uman I like your idea, great job! I think they make a similar one that is wireless so you don’t have to deal with a pesky wire.

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@vesder21 i thought about doing the same but was worried the camera or electronics will go bad due to dunking the trailer in the water at the ramp over time. I know these things are water resistant from rain/snow etc. but I am not sure they are water proof?
how long have you had and are there any issues related to that?
You are correct in that the camera is only rated IP65 (water resistant or splash proof) so I am not sure how it will hold up, but since it was only $100 (Costco has them on sale for $150-$50) it's a cheap way to see behind the boat for now. It may look silly, but I "could" mount it under the t-top so may give that a try if it breaks.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like the rear view mirror display but otherwise I’m content with the system I’ve been using for or several year now. It’s a wired multi camera system with a large display. I have the main camera mounted to the rear cross member on the trailer and the other one mounted to the front of my tow vehicle. The latter is used to help me line up the tow ball and hitch when i want to push instead of pull the trailer around. Both cameras have are designed to be on constantly so they never overheat and the rear camera has been water proof for me, as long as I don’t open it/break the seal. I’ve thought about moving the trailer camera to the top of a guide post so it’s image doesn’t get washed out by headlights at night but haven’t gotten around to it.
Here is a screen shot with some pics of my old system on a different tow vehicle and a link to my write up (one of them anyway) on the other site.

7E86F432-9328-411C-AFFB-3E9828515B95.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My FJ Cruiser hauls the FSH210 with no problem, but my rear view mirror is completely blocked by the boat and the side view mirrors are too short to see around the boat and the image is very limited. I have no idea what the traffic looks like behind the trailered boat and this is really unsafe at any speed.

For $125 I installed a camera in the boat T-top compartment (hard top version) and a rear view mirror overlay display in the car.
The camera is permanently mounted in the T-top compartment spring loaded hatch and a removeable signal cable is run from the compartment to the car rear view mirror display. The display is 4K image quality and temporarily attaches to the car's rear view mirror with rubber straps. Its a little spooky at first, because it appears as thou the boat is not there, but the rocket launchers in the image provide reassurance.
As a bonus the camera is an aid during backup.View attachment 148385View attachment 148386
Here is the result:
When did you get the hard top?? Was inquiring about one a while back and was told they were not selling / shipping? Them anymore due to so much damage happening to them. Did you just drive over the CS and get it?

Thanks!

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The hard top was installed by Cycle Springs dealership in Clearwater FL when boat was purchased new April 2021.
-Uman

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The hard top was installed by Cycle Springs dealership in Clearwater FL when boat was purchased new April 2021.
-Uman
Thanks! I hope they get the shipping thing sorted out.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

As a bonus the camera is an aid during backup.View attachment 148385View attachment 148386
Here is the result:
How did you wire this all the way to the tow vehicle? The link you provided isn't specifically for trailering....and is 2.5k (so wondering if that is the same thing you got?)

Uman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The display has a 23' standard video cable and I added one 10' extension cable. The 33' video cable is now just long enough to make it to the T-top compartment and enough slack for trailer turning; the FJ has a rear window that allows cable passage. There are wireless cameras available, but I was not sure how reliable the connection would be in storms and other interferences plus batteries on long hauls. The rear camera provides excellent visibility where the FJ Cruiser side view mirrors do not offer much. The VanTop H610 installed is 2.5K camera (not 4K.... I copied the H512 spec by mistake). Image look real... looks like the boat is no longer there....little freaky.
-Uman

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I like the rear view mirror display but otherwise I’m content with the system I’ve been using for or several year now. It’s a wired multi camera system with a large display. I have the main camera mounted to the rear cross member on the trailer and the other one mounted to the front of my tow vehicle. The latter is used to help me line up the tow ball and hitch when i want to push instead of pull the trailer around. Both cameras have are designed to be on constantly so they never overheat and the rear camera has been water proof for me, as long as I don’t open it/break the seal. I’ve thought about moving the trailer camera to the top of a guide post so it’s image doesn’t get washed out by headlights at night but haven’t gotten around to it.
Here is a screen shot with some pics of my old system on a different tow vehicle and a link to my write up (one of them anyway) on the other site.

View attachment 148445
Luckily, my explorer has a backup camera that aligns the hitch for me. I just backup and drop the tongue in. Works awesome

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Luckily, my explorer has a backup camera that aligns the hitch for me. I just backup and drop the tongue in. Works awesome
His probably does too....he says he added 2 cameras - one to the t-top of the boat, the other to the FRONT of his truck for when he's using his front mounted hitch (not rear hitch).

@Uman I may have to try this....will just need to figure out how to get the cable inside the Audi! I'm sure there's an Audi forum somewhere that would tell me that!!! :)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I didn’t have to add anything as its a feature included with my SUV. I am considering adding another camera so I can see vehicles behind me, especially if it’s Smokey.

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just mount a solar powered back up camera and call it a day. It doesn’t look as nice but is much easier.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just mount a solar powered back up camera and call it a day. It doesn’t look as nice but is much easier.
Do you have one you are using that you are happy with? You don't mention the model or any issues with it? Is it bluetooth? How is the image inside the truck?

vesder21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Do you have one you are using that you are happy with? You don't mention the model or any issues with it? Is it bluetooth? How is the image inside the truck?
Sorry I mentioned it in an earlier post and am happy with the plug and play aspect of the install. The image remains clear even though it says "up to 33 feet" and my set up is right around that mark.

Costco had this new updated version with the larger battery on sale for $100.00.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry I mentioned it in an earlier post and am happy with the plug and play aspect of the install. The image remains clear even though it says "up to 33 feet" and my set up is right around that mark.

Costco had this new updated version with the larger battery on sale for $100.00.

And it reaches from the back of your trailer to the front of your tow vehicle with no issue? (might have to get a Costco membership!!)