• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Training for offshore and Bimini

amccoy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm looking to do Bimini in 2020 but I only have a few years of lake experience. Can anyone recommend some beginner training exercises and/or trips? I know I need help with navigation, water markers, and taller waves. I'm a few hours west of the Chesapeake so I thought that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance for your help.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
There are lots and lots of info in these threads on preparing for Bimini. Do a quick search on Bimini and you'll see. Plus, there's a bunch of videos on Youtube to also help.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking to do Bimini in 2020 but I only have a few years of lake experience. Can anyone recommend some beginner training exercises and/or trips? I know I need help with navigation, water markers, and taller waves. I'm a few hours west of the Chesapeake so I thought that would be a good place to start. Thanks in advance for your help.
Just follow the rest of the boaters. What you're really unprepared for is what awaits you in Bimini. So for that you want to practice by going to your local Chinese restaurant and order several umbrella drinks. When you can drink at least 3 in an hour you are ready for your journey grasshopper.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a lot of salt water experience before going on our first jetboat Bimini trip.

The one thing I did not account for was, my wife had very little seafaring exposure, in a small boat...

All was well at the end. But if I was doing it all over again I would make sure everyone on board can to get out in the ocean for a smaller trip to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The thing is, you may feel “all is good” but your party may be thinking “we are going to die”. It’s better to break the ice for everyone on board before a longer cruise when you can not easily turn back around.

Just my 0.02.
That was my only surprise.

amccoy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was thinking of letting the wife and daughter take the ferry, me and the boy in the boat. I would also make sure to be part of a group so that I'm not completely alone.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking of letting the wife and daughter take the ferry, me and the boy in the boat. I would also make sure to be part of a group so that I'm not completely alone.
Smart move!!

EDIT: once there, it is a paradise. The water color is like nothing else on planet Earth...

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski brings up a good point. While I've never gone on the Bimini trip I do give a safety briefing to new company on my boat. Whether or not they are experrienced boaters they don't necessarily know where life jackets, flare gun, fire extinguisher or throwable life preservers are stowed or how to use them. I also give them a basic overview of the boat's safety features like safety lanyard & horn, lights also if going out at night. I do this over the course of about 2 minutes while no waking to the open water.

Often the old flight instructor comes out in me and I'll put somebody behind the helm. It usually makes them feel like part of the crew rather than just a passenger.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take a basic boating course first, then get a decent gps, compass and paper charts. Look at the chart for the Bay and pick where you're going to launch, also pick a destination some distance away, maybe 25 miles each way first, then stretch it to 50 miles each way. Once you're comfortable with that, do half the trip during daylight and the return trip at night. If you go into the upper bay area, I could lead you on a couple of jaunts.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One thing I was unable to find with search was some instruction on VHF radio operation, and potential licensing needs. Our VHF was pre-installed, so I would be totally newb at it.

I do have some Ham Radio buddies that could probably assist. But they are a whole different level of geekdom. And I say that with upmost respect. As I come from a technical geekdom background as well. Just not radios.

I am also going to confirm that my VHF is connected in some way to my Simrad. As the red panic button may need that sort of connectivity to be able to send GPS coordinates if ever needed.

Thanks guys!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
One thing I was unable to find with search was some instruction on VHF radio operation, and potential licensing needs. Our VHF was pre-installed, so I would be totally newb at it.

I do have some Ham Radio buddies that could probably assist. But they are a whole different level of geekdom. And I say that with upmost respect. As I come from a technical geekdom background as well. Just not radios.

I am also going to confirm that my VHF is connected in some way to my Simrad. As the red panic button may need that sort of connectivity to be able to send GPS coordinates if ever needed.

Thanks guys!
Some radios have built in GPS.

Read the following for the basics:

Most important is knowing your radio works. You can get automated radio checks in many areas from SeaTow....see the link below:

If your radio has DSC make sure it has an MMSI number programmed into it.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Aloha, Make sure if u don’t not normally boat in the ocean and ur boat isnt setup for it, to have all the USCG mandatory safety equipment on board. I also carry a tool kit with hose clamps, first aid kit, OTC meds(pain relief/fever reducer, Tums, allergy relief, etc...), ponchos, and anything else u think u would need. It’s always a case of “prepare for the worse hope for the best”. Good luck, boat safe, and have a Blast.🤙🏽

Last edited:

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Smart move!!

EDIT: once there, it is a paradise. The water color is like nothing else on planet Earth...

--
I’ll challenge that statement any day of the week🤔. Haha lol🤣nah, I’ve seen some vids it beautiful there. Just being a PROUD Hawaiian...🤙🏽

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a lot of salt water experience before going on our first jetboat Bimini trip.

The one thing I did not account for was, my wife had very little seafaring exposure, in a small boat...

All was well at the end. But if I was doing it all over again I would make sure everyone on board can to get out in the ocean for a smaller trip to make sure everyone is on the same page.

The thing is, you may feel “all is good” but your party may be thinking “we are going to die”. It’s better to break the ice for everyone on board before a longer cruise when you can not easily turn back around.

Just my 0.02.
That was my only surprise.

My wife found out she isnt a fan of rollers and chop. I'm glad we booked the keys since bimini was 50/50 for long while. I think @swatski Hit it head on with what can your crew handle not what can you/boat handle.

Brent Markham

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll challenge that statement any day of the week🤔. Haha lol🤣nah, I’ve seen some vids it beautiful there. Just being a PROUD Hawaiian...🤙🏽
I challenge both...lol. My wife and I eloped in Bora Bora and nothing compares to the water Surrounding that island.
🤙🤙🤙… I have not been to Hawaii or Bimini yet but by the pics they both look to be amazing. Hope to make Bimini end of July early August

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I challenge both...lol. My wife and I eloped in Bora Bora and nothing compares to the water Surrounding that island.
🤙🤙🤙… I have not been to Hawaii or Bimini yet but by the pics they both look to be amazing. Hope to make Bimini end of July early August
Aloha @Brent Markham I’ve heard it’s really beautiful there too, I have a few Pro surfer friends that have been there, and said so. That being said what makes HAWAII NEI beautiful is not just the tropical paradise surroundings it’s also the people and culture, our Hawaiian Style, and Aloha Spirit. Plus we’re the 50th State, no passport, no foreign currency, no foreign government, and no foreign language(Well we get pigeon slang🤣). All of that and I say we’re on TOP of the tropical paradise list, and sorry @amccoy not trying to jack ur thread. “He Hawaii au”

Peter simon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My first time in the ocean was last Christmas in the Keys. Taking the boat there again last year. I will definitely take a few years practice before going to Bimini and then the plan is send the wife and 14 yo via ferry. My 20 y.o. daughter will come on the boat with me.

Few items i noted:

1- Need a marine GPS/Chartplotter. My cell phone overheated after 30 min. Doing that this week.
2- Take the boat out in the ocean without family because all those oh no, and oops, wheres the barf bag, are we going to sink, gets distracting.
3- Get used to not seeing land. That was the biggest shock was i froze when i could not see land and quickly got disoriented.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Smart move!!
--
Clearly you my friend have not being to southeast Europe. We have not killed each other for fun all those centuries. It was all done just to get an extra drop of that water and color combo.

As per our Hawaiian and Polynesian friends, I just call them “ contemporaries” LoL

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A serious note though, I wish we all had done what you are doing before we played dodgeball with Poseidon at the tip of the Bermuda Triangle

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Clearly you my friend have not being to southeast Europe. We have not killed each other for fun all those centuries. It was all done just to get an extra drop of that water and color combo.
I agree, the Adriatic is so amazing!
:p

--