• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Please read the Classified Ads Posting Rules before Posting something for Sale!

Boats MUST LIST A LOCATION (State)IN THE TITLE (Seems people can't read lately)-along with Make/Model/Year

Rental Property Traveling Tongue Scale

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely, there are two I found nearby. One is right near Skipper Bud's in Pewaukee, the Kwik Trip off of 94 and T. If you're looking for one closer to you, there's one at the Pioneer Travel Plaza near Cabela's. I'd prefer the Pewaukee one since it'd be an almost instant weight prior to the initial move. I think I figured out how PM's work on this forum, check your conversation for some more info.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes sure but I will need to figure out if the scale is accurate or not. Will keep y’all updated

aalcaraz92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes sure but I will need to figure out if the scale is accurate or not. Will keep y’all updated
I know you are figuring out if the scale is accurate, but, is the scale still in Los Angeles?

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dang, oh well. Thanks for replying
If you want to use it you can just request it from Betik, just could take a little bit with everyone in line.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes sorry it is in my garage and waiting to be dealt with :eek:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes sorry it is in my garage and waiting to be dealt with :eek:
What happened that might make you question the accuracy?

There is a local place here in Corydon, IN called AccuCheck that has done tool calibrations for companies I've worked for for years. If you're willing to ship it back to me I'll cover the calibration costs. Assuming it can be calibrated that is, I can check before we proceed if you like. Being a hydraulic type scale, there might not be an option to calibrate it.

Whats the make/model number again?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you considered using some gym weight equipment to verify yourself? If cost effective to ship, my mad scientist home made tounge scale is accurate to about 1lb (verified with olympic weight plates) and I would also be willing to verify accuracy.

@2kwik4u is correct in that no way to really calibrate beyond ensuring the hydraulic fluid is full or swapping out the gauge. The way those things work is by measuring the psi on a known bore size and marking that out on the gauge face as a weight scale instead of pressure. The pressures on a small bore like those are huge so they have some inherent percision constraints of about 10 percent depending on how big and how high quality the gauge is.

The relatively giant bore on my panacke cylinder means I am measuring far less psi and I am doing it with a digital air pressure gauge accurate to .5 psi. I use a bicycle pump to pump up the cyclinder and once the rod on the piston starts to raise but before it hits the end of the stroke I take the reading off the permantly attached air gauge in psi and comapre to the pre-printed cross reference chart I made to convert the psi to lbs. This works anywhere in the middle of the stroke because pressure is staying the same and only the volume is changing (top of cylinder has an air outlet). This is slightly different than the one @Betik has as the volume is constant (should be if not leaking) and only the pressure changes. Still the same principle of pressure over surface area.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you considered using some gym weight equipment to verify yourself? If cost effective to ship, my mad scientist home made tounge scale is accurate to about 1lb (verified with olympic weight plates) and I would also be willing to verify accuracy.

@2kwik4u is correct in that no way to really calibrate beyond ensuring the hydraulic fluid is full or swapping out the gauge. The way those things work is by measuring the psi on a known bore size and marking that out on the gauge face as a weight scale instead of pressure. The pressures on a small bore like those are huge so they have some inherent percision constraints of about 10 percent depending on how big and how high quality the gauge is.

The relatively giant bore on my panacke cylinder means I am measuring far less psi and I am doing it with a digital air pressure gauge accurate to .5 psi. I use a bicycle pump to pump up the cyclinder and once the rod on the piston starts to raise but before it hits the end of the stroke I take the reading off the permantly attached air gauge in psi and comapre to the pre-printed cross reference chart I made to convert the psi to lbs. This works anywhere in the middle of the stroke because pressure is staying the same and only the volume is changing (top of cylinder has an air outlet). This is slightly different than the one @Betik has as the volume is constant (should be if not leaking) and only the pressure changes. Still the same principle of pressure over surface area.
Here is what I made.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/15-240-242-tongue-weight.9957/page-2#post-282942

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1lbs accuracy is more like science fiction for me.

The main thing that makes question the accuracy is that I am 210lbs. If I step on the scale is shows barely 200lbs. Then if I sit there for a while ( like a minute ) or if I wiggle it shows 220lbs.

So I want to open it up and see if it has anything that will allow me to adjust for it.

Not sure what make and model is, I will try to find the shipping order from etrailer. Think it is the Sherline 1000 something

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1lbs accuracy is more like science fiction for me.

The main thing that makes question the accuracy is that I am 210lbs. If I step on the scale is shows barely 200lbs. Then if I sit there for a while ( like a minute ) or if I wiggle it shows 220lbs.

So I want to open it up and see if it has anything that will allow me to adjust for it.

Not sure what make and model is, I will try to find the shipping order from etrailer. Think it is the Sherline 1000 something
Yep inherent precision or lack there of with the the small cylinder. Force needs to be perfectly straight down and even when it is the O ring will still be a bit grabby. 5 percent either way is not bad. I really do not think there is any adjustment on those.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I cannot figure something out until Chicago maybe I can bring it along so you can take a look at it.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I cannot figure something out until Chicago maybe I can bring it along so you can take a look at it.
Really not much to look at. Your body weight test indicates that it is doing what it should be for what it is. The issue we all faced with is from the factory the trailers were almost double the tounge weight they should be. Getting within 5% of the target weight is far better. The only reason I got so precise is I was able to build one for far cheaper than buying one and I was also able to teach my kids about real world applied math/physics in the process.

The bathroom scale beam and pipe method is something many can do with stuff they have laying around the house. Just measure precisely. Also a way to teach your kids about real world applied math/physics to prove the stuff they are learning in school is useful in real life.
Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you sure can, but there is a complication. We are on a lock down, so I cannot go to the post office to mail it for you. If you want send me a label and have UPS pick it at my house, I will be glad to put it on box for you, but I cannot go the post office.

tim h

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
You would adjust where your boat sits on the trailer...
Move the bow stop forward or back.