• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Triangular GPS plug on Yamaha boats

HybridSS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I have a 2013 Yamaha SX192 that I just picked up. Just did a Garmin GPS install. From a previous search online I found that many Yamaha boats have a triangular plug under the dash labeled GPS. Many splice into this plug since it has an unused power and ground. I wanted the other end of the plug so I could make use of the weatherpack style plug and make it clean. I am not a fan of the push style splices. They are less than ideal.
Anyways...with the little research found the plug is a Deutsch. Found one on Amazon for $7 and paid another $3 for next day shipping. It comes with both ends. You only need one end. Save the other for future installs.

Deutsch has a special crimper but you can use standard crimpers and needle nose to get a good crimp. Plenty of youtube videos on how to assemble a Deutsch connector.

You can see the new Deutsch through the steering wheel connected to the OEM Yamaha Deutsch that was part of the harness.

Last edited:

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is awesome. What fuse is this tied to and is it linked to a switch or the ignition key?

HybridSS

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
On my 2013 SX190 it comes off the 20 amp fuse holder near the battery. It is not on the ignition but it is on the main batt on/off switch. I have since added a second battery with an automatic voltage sensing relay so the 20 AMP fuse has been moved to the second battery. I will be adding a second batt on/off switch for batt #2 as well. As far as I can tell the 20 AMP fuse powers everything on my boat except engine/starter. It powers bilge, blower, all lights, stereo, GPS plug, horn.

And of course the GPS unit has its own inline fuse to isolate the GPS if it has a fault.

RickyTerzis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi...thanks for sharing this useful information here. It will be very helpful for all who are looking to do this for themself.
I will also try the same and will share my experience as well. Also i will ask if i will get stuck somewhere.

pcb assembly

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
adding to the FAQ under electronics mods

markp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
i have a 2018 sx195 is has the 3 pronge connectors red, black and orange, I bought a dragon fly 7 it has red , black and grey wires, how do i know which wire connects to which wires on the 3 prong connect on boat side ?

Raymundo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The third wire (orange) on the factory Deutsch connector is labeled NMEA 0183. My gps has a NMEA 0183 in (brown) and a NEMA 0183 out (blue) wire. Does anyone know if we can gain additional functionality by using that NEMA 0183 connection? It looks like the op just used the power (red) and ground (black) wires.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length