• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim Tabs and the Wake Wedge

Woodchuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jcyamaharider, does the wake wedge work on a boat with trim tabs?

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sould , but just to confirm can you post a pic of you tab set up ?

Woodchuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It sould , but just to confirm can you post a pic of you tab set up ?
I don't have tabs yet but I would hate to get one or the other first and then not have them work together.

I wonder if trimming the opposite side up would improve the wake on the surf side.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Prob would !!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@sx210owner, these are where my trim tabs ended up.

@Woodchuck, @Backwash tried using the trim tabs to adjust my wake for surfing but was not impressed with the results. I believe I would need a lot more tab surface to improve the wake.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My experience showed that the Tabs actually hurt the wake for wake boarding, but I have never tried while surfing. I always said I would but always forgot.

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man it looks like where the ram is mounted it would interfere where the wedge mounts :( @jcyamaharider what do you think ?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am pretty sure it will interfere. Mine were more inboard and the actuators were mounded further down, so your wedge would have worked on mine. However, to get the best use of the trim tabs, they need to be this far apart.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Woodchuck on the picture above the actuator would interfere with the mounting. We use the tie down hook as one of our mounting points. If the actuator mounted to the opposite side of the tie down loop and there was enough room to slide the sleeve over it would work just fine I suspect.

20140804_144039.jpg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Bruce, how do you like the tabs? Are you able to get and stay on plane at a lower speed? I'd love to be able to stay on plane at 15-18 mph when I'm pulling my daughter on a wakeboard.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce, how do you like the tabs? Are you able to get and stay on plane at a lower speed? I'd love to be able to stay on plane at 15-18 mph when I'm pulling my daughter on a wakeboard.
The trim tabs allow me to stay on plane down to 16 or perhaps a little lower. The biggest advantage to having them was crossing the gulf stream to Bimini and on rough days on the lake. They really smooth out the rough water. But they also make low speed boating a lot more fun.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Disclaimer: I don't have trim tabs so I might not know what I am about to say. Are you sure that trim tabs allow you to plane at slower speeds? I know they help to push the bow down, and the slower you go, the LESS affect they have. My own suspicion is that at a slow speed, they don't help you plane any better, they just hold the bow down a little, making you a displacement hull instead of a planing hull. And at surf speeds, you don't want to plane anyway do you? At wakeboard speeds, you do plane, but I can see them messing up the wake. I guess at surf speed, my thought is they would be very ineffective, just not enough speed to have the tab roll the boat into the surf side. Again, I don't know, this is just my observation from afar...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r, this was one of my first posts about using the trim tabs

"On the way back it was after dark, lots of boaters had been drinking and there were lots of debris in the water. I trimmed down the bow at 16 mph and made the entire 12 mph trip at that speed without having to touch the throttles or trim other than to slow down for two bridges. I was riding at the same angle that I had been at going 30 mph on the way there. I could sit down at the low setting of the seat without the bow blocking my view. Last year I had difficulty sticking below 20 mph when the kids were tubing."

The hull would have less lift at 16 mph than at higher speeds so it must be displacing more water. But the important part is that at 16 mph or perhaps even slower I can sit comfortably and not have the bow blocking my view.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think your right on the money @Bruce , I think your displacing water, not planing slower. Either way, it cuts through the wave or wake and doesn't bounce or jump. In relation to water sports, not sure you want to displace vs plane for wake boarding. Surfing? Not sure, but I would think you want to sink the transom as much as possible, not lift it. But the conversation was about using one tab to roll the boat into that surf side I think...I don't know about that. Lots of things are discovered by experimentation!

OnTheWater

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@OperationROL or anyone else - I have a 2013 242 LS and am interested in trim tabs, but also want to use my wake wedge. Any suggestions or pics to support a decision?

Thanks!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length