• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trolling on Jet Engine

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I was planning on doing some fresh water lake trolling for Kokanee and maybe trout. Does anyone have any experience doing this with the single jet engine (we have an AR195)? Since the primary reason for the boat is runabout and wake sports, I was hoping to avoid mounting a trolling motor somewhere.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve done it on my 210, just clamp off the one engine (though I doubt I’m going fast enough to due damage) and it’s a fence to speed. My complaint is having to baby the wheel. Love these boats but forget holding a straight line!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I fish a lot from my boat. I even have a down rigger mounted to a table leg on my swim platform. I use a mix of one or two engines depending on the speed I need to maintain. I will also work the buckets to provide more or less drag.

Here are some Kokanee from Lake Chelan, WA. Trolling speed 2.5 to 3 mph at a depth of 35 to 90 feet off of the down rigger:
20180628_211751.jpg

And a shot of my down rigger:

20180630_104528.jpg

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I fish a lot from my boat. I even have a down rigger mounted to a table leg on my swim platform. I use a mix of one or two engines depending on the speed I need to maintain. I will also work the buckets to provide more or less drag.

Here are some Kokanee from Lake Chelan, WA. Trolling speed 2.5 to 3 mph at a depth of 35 to 90 feet off of the down rigger:
View attachment 89028

And a shot of my down rigger:

View attachment 89029
We’ll be down at Lake Merlin for ours. I only have a single engine on the AR195, so I don’t need to worry about one vs two engines running.

I recall trolling on my parents prop boat as a kid which picked up too much speed on the slowest forward throttle. The carborated engine would have to be revved up every so often to blow out the fumes to prevent it from stalling. Sounds like this is a non-issue for the Yamaha engines.

Love the downrigger mount BTW. I am still toying around with ideas on how to mount fishing poles.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We’ll be down at Lake Merlin for ours. I only have a single engine on the AR195, so I don’t need to worry about one vs two engines running.

I recall trolling on my parents prop boat as a kid which picked up too much speed on the slowest forward throttle. The carborated engine would have to be revved up every so often to blow out the fumes to prevent it from stalling. Sounds like this is a non-issue for the Yamaha engines.

Love the downrigger mount BTW. I am still toying around with ideas on how to mount fishing poles.
We are going to try lake merwin also this year.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I got rod holders that mount to the tower and others that mount to the grab handles above my transom storage on either side of my upper swim platform.

mrtrav

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I got rod holders that mount to the tower and others that mount to the grab handles above my transom storage on either side of my upper swim platform.
Are they any good for trolling? I was concerned about the sturdiness while trolling and the initial strike.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The ones on the tower are very sturdy. Here is a pic, I apologize for the angle, my tower is flipped over to park in the garage.
15518442836212441154355704326507.jpg

And one from the past summer:
20180729_060605.jpg

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce was saying something about trashing the spark plugs by runing at freaky low RPM

Maybe our resident scientists @Mainah & @swatski have something to add

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce was saying something about trashing the spark plugs by runing at freaky low RPM

Maybe our resident scientists @Mainah & @swatski have something to add
Resistor plugs won’t like super low rpms in general. With the 1.8l the coil packs are drirectly on the plugs eliminating some of the concern. On the mr-1 it may be more of a concern. On the older two strokes it was a giant concern because of the oil mix not fully buring off and the nature of carb tuning to run rich or lean. I would also tend to believe anything a humble and intelligent guy like @Bruce says.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ever since I first saw this post I’ve been thinking of Internet Trolling about Jet Engines...

F37F455C-E343-4E1C-8B2D-7E6EA3DFEFD8.jpegC3C6F22F-49C2-4169-9E39-00B545983093.png

Jason Smith

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Here is what I did for mounting the downriggers. Installed fishing rod holder on each side, but it doubles as a downrigger mounting spot. It works pretty good. I do worry my engines are over heating when I troll though, and it literally requires one person to always be driving (otherwise your lines will get tangled).

IMG_20160621_231420.jpg

IMG_20160621_231504.jpg

IMG_20160621_231515.jpg