• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trouble shooting tread wear

Jaycara22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2005 MFI trailer is having issues with the axel that does not have breaks. On the driver side wheel, the tire is getting extreme tread wear on the inner tread. As I’m driving the tire is noticeably pushed in at a angle like this \. Not as dramatic but it is at a angle. Does this mean I have to replace the axel, leaf springs or anything else? I bought the trailer off a guy this season and it looked like he did all the suspension and axels recently. Or he just never ever used the trailer because it is extremely clean. Thank you in advance.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Usually see them angle out on the bottom not in so he probably hit a curb and bent the axle you can get it straightened pull the hub and bearings and take a close look at the spindle and axle alignment.

Jaycara22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Usually see them angle out on the bottom not in so he probably hit a curb and bent the axle you can get it straightened pull the hub and bearings and take a close look at the spindle and axle alignment.
I believe it is angled out. I looked up why it would do that and I got, bent axel or broken leaf springs. Just didn’t want to spend money on extra stuff I don’t need

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a wheel come off the axle/spindle on a boat trip last year and my pwc trailer axle failed this year. The axle at least the part the wheel is actually mounted to the spindle is only a foot or so long. It is attached to the main tube (a square one for both my boat and pwc trailers) by a plate the holds the brake calipers, the plate is welded to the main bar / tube and spindle. The spindle if the welds fail the spindle can fo about of alignment from the main bar/tube and this can be repaired, a lot easier if you can remove the axle so it can be worked on a bench. Something to consider if you are look8ng for a new axle, most available now have round tubes and have to be custom built if through pacific trailer anyway, with a two week lead time. I was able to find a square one with adjustable leaf spring points from northern tool and supply / amazon for $119/ $140ish with shipping.

My repair can be seen in the attached pics. It held up fine for over 500 miles but I replaced the entire axle anyway for peace of mind now that my 17 year old son is taking the skis out without me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had something happen a month or so ago that was totally amazing and unbelievable except for possibly the head alien was looking out for me. I merged on to I-275 south bound from 54 ave n entrance headed to my regular spot in Tierra Verde ,locals will understand 54 av so bound ramp is a horror story and up hill requiring a merge through 2 lanes. I kept hearing and feeling something from the trailer but everything looked ok and no one was pointing to the trailer as they usually do when you are loosing a wheel or getting a flat tire. I continued to the bay way exit and that has a sharp down hill turn but the vibration was getting worse so I pulled in just as soon as I could and parked by the median when I show you a picture of the wheel and you understand that I towed this for several miles at 70 M P H you will not believe that the wheel didn't come off the hub. The hubs had the studs not the lugs with nuts so when the studs fell out there was noting holding the wheel on the axle it defies explanation
I carry everything, cones ,floor jacks, air compressor , hubs, spare tire etc so I just pulled the hub and bearings and changes it and continued on my way to the water..

Attachments

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Damn Jeff, I hope you played the lottery that day, it couldn’t have been luckier for you. Losing a wheel on a two wheel/single axle trailer at highway speeds could have been disastrous.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Double trailer with 2 fx ho cruisers on it and a huge box with 4 / 6 gal gas cans and a second box with anchors and a compressor in it not a small trailer a big one actually the same one that was flipped on the interstate back years ago at 54av north bound when a taho changed lanes and slammed into my van and then my trailer flipping it over.

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2005 MFI trailer is having issues with the axel that does not have breaks. On the driver side wheel, the tire is getting extreme tread wear on the inner tread. As I’m driving the tire is noticeably pushed in at a angle like this \. Not as dramatic but it is at a angle. Does this mean I have to replace the axel, leaf springs or anything else? I bought the trailer off a guy this season and it looked like he did all the suspension and axels recently. Or he just never ever used the trailer because it is extremely clean. Thank you in advance.
Extreme wear on the inside of the tire is almost always a bent axle. A broken leaf spring or other faulty suspension component can cause some camber issues, but generally not to the point of being labeled extreme. I'm guessing it's bent right by the spindle, which means you really need to look at replacing the axle. You can also get a "beam only", and swap the hubs over from the old axle if they're in good shape. If the axle is bent toward the middle, there's a decent chance to straighten it without messing up the alignment, but when they're bent close to the outside, it's very difficult to get them straight, to where you won't wear tires. Besides, strength has been compromised at that point. You'll need to get several measurements. Hub face to hub face. This can be gotten two ways: take the wheels off the good axle, and measure from the hub face on one side to the hub face on the other; also by measuring outside to outside of the brake flange, and add 6.34" (if it's a 3.5k axle, which I'm assuming it is). Center to center of the spring saddles. You can hook over one, and measure to the near side of the other saddle. Bolt pattern. This is most likely 5 on 4.5". You'll also need to verify whether it's overslung or underslung. This is referring to the spring, does it get bolted to the top of the axle, or does it go under the axle. From there, I'd also strongly recommend getting EZ lube axles. It gives you a grease zerk in the end of the spindle, and circulates the grease, pushing the old grease out, as opposed to the simple bearing buddys, which basically just pressurize the hub with grease. Also, you'll need to be able to verify whether or not it's a drop axle. If it's a factory MFI trailer, it's not. If you do the beam only, take advantage of the opportunity to change your wheel bearings and races. Here again, if it's an MFI original hub, it will use a generic 3.5k bearing kit, with the exception of the inner bearing race, which is the L68110, not the L68111 that comes in the standard bearing kit.

Lunarvrx

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had something happen a month or so ago that was totally amazing and unbelievable except for possibly the head alien was looking out for me. I merged on to I-275 south bound from 54 ave n entrance headed to my regular spot in Tierra Verde ,locals will understand 54 av so bound ramp is a horror story and up hill requiring a merge through 2 lanes. I kept hearing and feeling something from the trailer but everything looked ok and no one was pointing to the trailer as they usually do when you are loosing a wheel or getting a flat tire. I continued to the bay way exit and that has a sharp down hill turn but the vibration was getting worse so I pulled in just as soon as I could and parked by the median when I show you a picture of the wheel and you understand that I towed this for several miles at 70 M P H you will not believe that the wheel didn't come off the hub. The hubs had the studs not the lugs with nuts so when the studs fell out there was noting holding the wheel on the axle it defies explanation
I carry everything, cones ,floor jacks, air compressor , hubs, spare tire etc so I just pulled the hub and bearings and changes it and continued on my way to the water..
Wow - lucky it didn't fall off and you were vigilant. enough to catch it. I talked to a camper last year who had just bought a brand new RV trailer and 3/4 the way into a 600 mile trip one wheel fell off as the lugs had worked there way off. His trailer dropped on the pavement of course. Their trip was delayed for repairs. He was ticked - I assume the repairs were covered by warranty.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow - lucky it didn't fall off and you were vigilant. enough to catch it. I talked to a camper last year who had just bought a brand new RV trailer and 3/4 the way into a 600 mile trip one wheel fell off as the lugs had worked there way off. His trailer dropped on the pavement of course. Their trip was delayed for repairs. He was ticked - I assume the repairs were covered by warranty.
I honestly have no idea how it stayed on, I saved the wheel to show to people because no one would believe it if I didn't save it. Anyone familiar with I 275 here imagine this wheel was vibrating from 54 avenue north all the way to 54 avenue south "the bay way" all those curves in the road it never fell off even going down the exit ramp and that has a sharp curve as well. I kept looking in the mirrors for a tire to be wobbling because it felt like a bearing going bad but I never saw it move sideways and I also learned many years ago to watch people that pass you because they will usually warn you that there is a problem with your trailer , but nothing unusual. Just another day in paradise!