• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Troubleshooting yamaha 232 limited S

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello
I have problems with one of the 2 engines of my jetboat. I'm not sure what's going on. for the past few days I have had problems with the babort engine. When I go to sea, he stops and refuses to leave. It is necessary to wait 15 minutes before the engine starts again but with big losses of power. We checked everything, cleaned the cooling system everything, changed the 2 batteries, the oil level was checked. I went to sea this morning. On the way there, everything worked well. Good speed, no loss of power. that's great. After 30 minutes of swimming with the engines off, when it was time to restart, the port engine refused to restart. After a few minutes the engine started but I had almost no power. He even refused to activate nowake mode. Arrived at the dock, the engine stopped and did not want to restart. I checked everything and nothing abnormal (nothing was obstructing the turbines ...).
if you have any ideas of breakdowns, I'm a taker, I'm tearing my hair out

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is your general location? Are you boating in a weedy area?

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
South Miami - it could depend of the day. But today, no weed at all

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is your general location? Are you boating in a weedy area?
South Miami - it could depend of the day. But today, no weed at all

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the boat is out of the water, I would closely examine the port jet drive. If there is any obstruction, starting the motor will be difficult and battery will wear down quickly.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs, easiest thing to do first. When you’re running on the water make sure you don’t run it hot and then quickly shut it off to float, let it run a little bit to cool off before you shut it off; this has something to do with bio-fouling or something that’s been recently brought up on here..

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If the boat is out of the water, I would closely examine the port jet drive. If there is any obstruction, starting the motor will be difficult and battery will wear down quickly.
the boat is in the water

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Change the spark plugs, easiest thing to do first. When you’re running on the water make sure you don’t run it hot and then quickly shut it off to float, let it run a little bit to cool off before you shut it off; this has something to do with bio-fouling or something that’s been recently brought up on here..
do you think that the spark plugs could be a reason why is starts only when the boat isn't hot ?

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When the engine is "cold" is starts very well

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Many times when you have a heat related issue like that it can be electrical. Poor connection or component going bad. Most commonly a coil. Works good cool then heats up and from expansion a connection breaks and the coil becomes dead. With it running poorly, one by one disconnect then reconnect each coil. Each time you disconnect a coil there should be a noticeable difference in the engine running. If you unplug one and there is no change then you found your bad coil. This can happen with injectors as well.

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Many times when you have a heat related issue like that it can be electrical. Poor connection or component going bad. Most commonly a coil. Works good cool then heats up and from expansion a connection breaks and the coil becomes dead. With it running poorly, one by one disconnect then reconnect each coil. Each time you disconnect a coil there should be a noticeable difference in the engine running. If you unplug one and there is no change then you found your bad coil. This can happen with injectors as well.
thanks so much
i gonna try to find a guy to come to fix the boat

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do you think that the spark plugs could be a reason why is starts only when the boat isn't hot ?
I had starting issues when starting the day, changed the plugs and starts right up now. I just say change the plugs bcuz it’s relatively inexpensive and easy to do! Did you have any check engine lights??

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had starting issues when starting the day, changed the plugs and starts right up now. I just say change the plugs bcuz it’s relatively inexpensive and easy to do! Did you have any check engine lights??
sometimes the oil light flash even if there is oil (i checked many times)

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the oil. Make sure it is not overfilled and is not milky or diluted.

If it is overfilled oil can spray out onto the air filter clogging it.

Is the overheat light flashing?

Is water or steam coming out of the cooling water indicator ports on the starboard side?

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check the oil. Make sure it is not overfilled and is not milky or diluted.

If it is overfilled oil can spray out onto the air filter clogging it.

Is the overheat light flashing?

Is water or steam coming out of the cooling water indicator ports on the starboard side?
i checked after 10 minutes with the no wake mode - the oil level was just a little bit over the upper limit. Does it means that it was overfilled ?

Is the overheat light flashing? no

Is water or steam coming out of the cooling water indicator ports on the starboard side? water when the engine was running. But i flushed the engine, nothing was coming out from this indicator port.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pull your air filter and see if it has oil on it. The top mark is a limit. Oil on the filter is enough to keep the engine from running.

Water flow out of the indicators should be low at idle. There may not be any indicator flow when flushing. But in the water beyond 7K RPM you should see a solid flow shooting out of the side of the boat.

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pull your air filter and see if it has oil on it. The top mark is a limit. Oil on the filter is enough to keep the engine from running.

Water flow out of the indicators should be low at idle. There may not be any indicator flow when flushing. But in the water beyond 7K RPM you should see a solid flow shooting out of the side of the boat.
when i was able to navigate normally, at 7000rpm there was a solid flow shooting out

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could try removing plugs from both engines and compare how they turn on starter motor. That could eliminate jet obstruction from the possibilities.

JSWAGNER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

I checked for the air filter, this morning. No oil on the filter. looks good. I could start this morning. during the flushing, some water get out of the boat from the nozzle. But when i stop the engine and then when i try to start again, it s impossible. i need to wait that the engine get colder.