• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tru-Locks or EZ Locks for Yamaha cleanout plugs. Where to get them?

Leegie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello. I am new to this site. Hope I'm doing this correctly. I have just purchased a 2008 Yamaha 212x on Lake Hartwell in South Carolina. I am having issues with my cleanout plugs. I read on a thread here that the above locks work great to keep the plugs for blowing out. Any idea where to get them? I tried jetboatpilot.com but they do not carry them anymore. Thanks for the help.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

You can start a conversation with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC or look at the FAQ tab at the top of the page and there is a link inside about locks,

You should also consider looking at your scupper valve (the deck drain that exits the boat under the water line) it has known to be crack and could cause you issues if it did.

Leegie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Glad to have you on board,

You can start a conversation with @Cobra Jet Steering LLC or look at the FAQ tab at the top of the page and there is a link inside about locks,

You should also consider looking at your scupper valve (the deck drain that exits the boat under the water line) it has known to be crack and could cause you issues if it did.
Thank you so much for the quick help.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
www.cobrajetsteering.com videos for the locks showing how they work and how to install them
and
best insurance you can purchase for push button clean out plugs, $39.95 per twin engine set and free shipping in the U S A

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard! Scott is right on the money for EZ Locks and the scupper valve. The EZ Locks will not only provide peace of mind, but will keep you from damage and a ruined outing. Many guys have found the scupper to be intact when they looked at it and when the grabbed the hose to make sure it was secure to the scupper and wiggled it, they could see the scupper crack! Most guys replace the plastic one with a stainless steel version of it from Atwood.

Leegie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome aboard! Scott is right on the money for EZ Locks and the scupper valve. The EZ Locks will not only provide peace of mind, but will keep you from damage and a ruined outing. Many guys have found the scupper to be intact when they looked at it and when the grabbed the hose to make sure it was secure to the scupper and wiggled it, they could see the scupper crack! Most guys replace the plastic one with a stainless steel version of it from Atwood.
Thanks for the info. Since I never replaced a scupper valve is there anything special I should know about replacing it? Is it simply remove and replace with the stainless?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
look in the faq tab at the top of the page, it has a link for the scupper problem along with many other good tips,

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome @Leegie and congrats on the new boat. I love the 08 212x's. Imho, The ez-locks are a must have. They've saved me several times.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome @Leegie
I agree with @itsdgm . the EZ-Locks are a must have and will save you from blow outs. If you have any questions we are here to help.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the others - the EZ locks are a must!

I ended up drilling twice in perfectly good, brand new plugs - as I goofed up.
Here is my experience, re-posting from a different thread (https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/page-2):

Here is the EZ locks refresher.

One more thing about EZ locks. Those really ARE easy, and I'm pretty sure I am the first person on the planet who managed to goof up with the install... :oops: But just for the record -- here is what I've learned.

1. Watch the @Cobra Jet Steering LLC video clip

2. Drill close to the top -- see the pictures below -- I goofed up on the right, the left is the correct location of the hole.

When installed in the correct location (left in the pic), the locks do not "lock" when the plug is "open".
I know... it is obvious. But I still managed to drill the first hole too low... Before I realized my mistake.

This is what you want to see when the plug is open:

And closed:

View from top (open/closed):

--