• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck box / toolbox on trailer ?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone have some sort of a toolbox mounted on your trailer for hauling extra tools? Jack, spare trailer parts, wrenches, misc tow straps... whatever

I've got a little toolset in the boat, but not this kind of stuff. On our long tows on family vacations, the Tahoe is filled with too much other stuff, we are out of space.

Just thinking about a 24" wide diamond plated truck box style mounted here on the beam:
image.jpg

Or, maybe move the spare to an upright and put a toolbox there somehow.

Would something like this be in the way when launching? I've never really paid attention to how the boat travels when going on/off the trailer.

Edit: I don't think the spare gets wet, does it? I know I've never noticed it being fully submerged.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So, after a little searching tonight, I guess I'm curious about something like this.

Toolbox: https://www.etrailer.com/Toolbox/DeeZee/DZDB-2601.html
Mount brackets: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/DeeZee/DZDB-2502.html

It looks like it's 18" tall. So, maybe that could be centered vertically, so it hangs under the trailer 7" and sticks up about 7"? Maybe could even be higher. It would be mounted on the outside of the trailer, so there shouldn't be any danger of the hull hitting it, right? I don't think this one says water proof, but it did mention having a seal around the door. Ideally, I don't think this box would need to get dipped, so "water proof" may not be necessary as long as the door seals ok.

Would there be any issues with weight distribution of adding 100-200 lbs of stuff here? I'm not sure what the box would weigh (50lbs + probably), but the contents I'm imagining a full size floor jack, tire changing supplies, tow straps, wood blocks, wheel chocks... not super heavy stuff, but I'm sure it will add up.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have thought about the same thing just too busy to do anything! 200 lbs is not gonna do anything unless u put all the way out on the tongue and you are over tongue weight already.
Let us know what u want to try! I was worried more about mounting it where water wouldn't come in more than the lid being waterproof. All depends on if the items inside can be submerged or not. I currently carry a 1/2" ratchet and socket but think a cordless impact would be nice. That would not be good to get wet obviously

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 how about:

A Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE09PM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NEP4zbJJ44X28

And a hitch mounted tool box - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A0VAQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A1-4zb237EY84

I also like keeping the tools handy and would want the versatility of using them when you tow the boat, hookup the bikes, pull a yard trailer etc.

Not sure of the fitment of the above together and 24’ trailer, but I have the dual hitch extension and really like using “two hitches”. Might work for your desired application.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 how about:

A Dual Hitch Extension - 4000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CE09PM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_NEP4zbJJ44X28

And a hitch mounted tool box - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A0VAQO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A1-4zb237EY84

I also like keeping the tools handy and would want the versatility of using them when you tow the boat, hookup the bikes, pull a yard trailer etc.

Not sure of the fitment of the above together and 24’ trailer, but I have the dual hitch extension and really like using “two hitches”. Might work for your desired application.
Hmm, that's an interesting idea for sure. I've never seen those dual extensions... that's pretty cool. I have one of these (different brand, though) that we use behind the Tahoe for long trips already.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSSQ5QS?psc=1 It works great for hauling all of the duffel bags and suitcases. It does lift up a bit, but I wonder what this would look like. Could also use it with a hitch mount bike rack that we have. I just wonder if it would extend out to far and still be in the way of the boat/trailer. For $20, it might be worth getting one just to play with.

Good thoughts on the versatility of moving the box between other trailers. I hadn't thought about that. Right now, we've just got the one... though I borrow a tandem axle flat bed of my dad's for hauling ATVs and other toys every now and then.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Let us know what u want to try!
I may try to mock something up with a couple clamps and some scrap plywood just to get a visual on size and placement over the offseason. If I do it soon, could even go dip the trailer and see if it gets wet or not. :)

I could do this 'before' spending more money. Lol!

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, I got around to doing this today. Below, find the writeup that I just added to my Google Doc in my signature.

I have several road trips coming up this summer, and am feeling the need to be better prepared in case of road trouble. I see these toolboxes on other trailers, and wondered whether it would be possible to outfit a boat trailer. Here are the supplies that I used. I feel like a smaller toolbox would have been plenty, but this was about the only one that I could find that opened on the side instead of top at a price that I was willing to pay.

Supplies:

Pics of the toolbox on the bench. Rubber around the door looks pretty good. Hoping that it’s watertight.

The box feels so light! Planning on hauling a floor jack and some other stuff, so feel like I need to supplement the floor with some plywood. I had some ¾ plywood laying around from another project. It isn’t treated, but I’m going to use it anyway. I covered it with marine carpet, also left over from another project. I had to cut my single rectangle into 2 pieces to get it inside the toolbox. Then, I had to trim those pieces down again to account for the carpet adding a bit to the overall dimensions.

Here’s a closer shot of the rubber, and the carpeted plywood inside the box.

Originaly, I had ⅜” UBolt, but after looking at it, I felt like they looked to lightweight. So, I ordered the ½”. I had to drill out the mount bracket hole that I wanted to use (the pre-drilled holes aren’t quite big enough). And, for my location on the trailer, I needed to drill a new hole, as the vertical piece didn’t quite have a hole in the right spot for me.

Also, have to drill holes in the back of the box for the mounting bracket. And, bottom of the box. Hopefully, to make these holes waterproof, I got some rubber washers and coated the area pretty good with clear silicon when inserting the bolts.

Here’s the finished product. Still need to try launch and retrieval to see if this box gets wet or not. I’m hoping that it won’t, as it is a little bit forward of the bunks. After mounting the box on the trailer, I’m not sure I would drill the holes on the bottom again. It felt pretty stable without them. But, it’s not going anywhere now.

Will report back once I have attempted a launch and retrieval. I'm planning to put some cardboard or paper towel in the box the first time I launch just to see what happens. I'll take a couple pics to see whether it's in the water, or not. I suppose, this would also depend on the specific ramp depth and angle, of course.

Edit: I think first time out, I'm going to walk it on and off the trailer with the ropes, just to see how she floats and how close to the box the boat comes. I've seen pics of spare tire carriers closer to the hull than this, so I don't "think" there's anything to worry about there. :)

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It would be something else for people to
steal at the ramp.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well, I guess there is that to think about. You'd have to get it open to get to the nuts on the UBolts. It does lock, but a prybar could easily fix that. So far, I've never boated anywhere that I felt unsafe leaving my equipment. But, I suppose that may be changing as we get more adventurous (and have been hanging around here looking at the Destinations forum).

I've seen the threads on locking pins etc for the trailer hitch. That's something else I've never really looked into.

Still, I think I'm going to stick with this. It'll make for hauling tools easier, especially when using the Tahoe and already limited storage for our crew.

(Assuming, of course that it doesn't end up submerged and/or full of water. If that happens, I may be re-evaluating.)

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Probably a loaded question, but generally speaking, how many folks have had trouble with having gear messed with or stolen? We usually leave life jackets and towels thrown over the windshield to dry and all our tubes, skis etc in the boat when we dock at a resort. I've always found fellow boaters to be trustworthy folks. Or, do the problems surface more when in transit, rather than when parked at the marina?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Never had anything stolen yet... Hope I don't... Your box looks good.. My only concern is if you have to back into a steep ramp. It looks like the box could drag the ground while going over the crest of the ramp. Nice install though.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
A year of use and you will know what you would have done different. Till then use it! Looks cool! And useful for sure!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Probably a loaded question, but generally speaking, how many folks have had trouble with having gear messed with or stolen? We usually leave life jackets and towels thrown over the windshield to dry and all our tubes, skis etc in the boat when we dock at a resort. I've always found fellow boaters to be trustworthy folks. Or, do the problems surface more when in transit, rather than when parked at the marina?
Boating people I tend to trust, but not blindly, its the parking lot people I do not. Quick grab n go for them while you are having a great day on the water. I always remove my VeVe guide pvc poles and covers from the trailer and put in truck while we are out.

Someone trying to pry that open in the parking lot would draw my attention. Install looks good, let us know how it works.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Never had anything stolen yet... Hope I don't... Your box looks good.. My only concern is if you have to back into a steep ramp. It looks like the box could drag the ground while going over the crest of the ramp. Nice install though.
I hadn’t thought of that. I’m 12” off the ground. And, lowest point of the trailer is 11” (Center hull under forward bunk bracket). I didn’t actually measure under the rear most trailer beam though. Seems like that could be even less. I’ll keep an eye out for that, though. And, will have to keep an eye on the tow vehicle turning too sharp. Unless a total jackknife while backing, I don’t think that should be an issue. Tks!

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I bought my trailer there were two brackets that hung down under the front bunk boards.. It looked fine to me... But once the trailer backed down the first boat ramp we went to that area was the part of the trailer that came close est to the ground when the trailer starts down the ramp.. Both of those brackets dug into the pavement and I came to a fast stop. I had them cut off and it was fine.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ok, so here's the update:

Pic 1, test material inside the box. Cardboard scrap and a sheet of paper shop towel.
UviM4J6jRbeilLW71h1i5g.jpg

Pic 2. Yep, it's in the water.

MPtR6MRTSnq2K9jlal8HJg.jpg

Pic 3: Shop towel trying to come out through the door. Guess it didn't seal very good.
dzTFEXMbTmeNc03YKQ82mQ.jpg
Pic 4: after the 2 mile tow home, still 1 3/4 inches of water in the darn thing.
EgkFVh5VRHCAwtCJK246fg.jpg
Good news, though: The holes that I drilled all seem to be water tight! No dripping from the bolt holes.

Next steps:
1. Try to pack more rubber or something to actually seal the door.
or
2. Drill a hole in the bottom for a drain, and put tools in sealed plastic totes

Anybody have any thoughts about that? I feel like there's a fair amount of rubber on this seal already. But, looking at the door closer now, I can see that the hinges stick out a little bit further than the latch.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I keep my tools in a dry bag. They're available in different sizes, but many would fit in the tool box. Then add the drain hole as you said. Keeping it sealed will be tough, as the door hinge side won't tighten down as the seal ages and shrinks.
Alternative would be to swap the metal box for a pelican case or similar

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If u put your tools in a tote or other container I would suggest placing something on the Floor to keep the tote elevated just a touch so when the water runs out it would have air to dry... But even then you may have a moister problem with the metal tools.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would let the water go out faster than it comes in. Make the back of box have a hole or two to drain while coming out of the water and keep tools in a dry bag inside.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know hind sight is supposedly 20/20, but would the box/open lid fit under the boat, if the opening was positioned on top? But on second thought, rain water may collect around handles and leak in there.