• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Shopping - Update: now with build, bikes, and colorado

Which mid-size truck? (please read first)

• Tacoma

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've been looking for a truck and i'm overwhelmed with options.. I plan to buy and keep this truck for a long time and people say Toyota or Ford. My driving is 1/3 in NYC, 1/3 to go mountain biking, and 1/3 towing an AR192 (maybe upgrade to an AR240 in the future). The trucks that really catch my eye are the mid-sized pick ups. Full size is more capability than I need and hard to find parking in NYC. Some parking garages charge double for full size trucks.

Tacoma TRD Sport - Price same as Ranger/Colorado. this would be really cool in cement gray, a lift, and larger tires, but the towing capacity is only 6400lb. Has sunroof. Motor is weak compared to others in the class.

Ford Ranger Lariat - Price same as Tacoma/Colorado. tows 7500lbs and have a ton of technology. Ecoboost is a strong motor. No sunroof. More refined. Looks tough with a different grill, lift, and blacked out.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S with options- tows 7650lbs. $5k more than the competition. Kind of ugly without extensive modifications to make it look tough. Really cool that the top comes off, but not sure how much i'd actually use it.

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 - Price same as Ranger/Tacoma. these look really cool in black with a small lift. 7000lbs towing. Interior is kind of boring. Everyone is telling me to stay away from chevrolet

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
i have had a 2016 gmc canyon and now a 2020 gmc canyon denali. i love the truck. i have also had a tacoma prior to my first canyon. while the tacoma is nice and super reliable, if you really start looking at things, i just cant justify the cost for what you are getting. everything on a tacoma is light, thin and overall just has a cheap feel to it especially when you start looking underneath it and drive it. i wasnt paying $45k for a vehicle that has drum brakes for instance. the gmc is far more quality inside and built more sturdy. everything is really beefy on the underside. the engine is the same as in the camaro so it has been around for a long time and proven. not saying though that its as reliable as a tacoma. i havent had issues with my canyon but the toyota reliability is hard to beat except they rust away to nothing especially the frames which toyota has been replacing for years now due to their junk steel. ford is the biggest truck name in this county and while i know many people that have them, they are not without issues either.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would be between Toyota and Gladiator, solely for resale purposes. Both hold their value significantly better than the Ford/Chevy. On the Gladiator, you will get more than that 5k back come resale. Between those two, I would choose the Gladiator because of the community and mod offerings. Also the Pentastar is one the best engines on the market today. Maybe a bit ugly now but you can drastically change the look for not much money, which is great if you plan on keeping a real long time.

With that being said, I haven't driven a Gladiator and hate how Wranglers drive. If using for long trips, I would probably go Toyota. If most trips are short, then prop still Gladiator. There are also probably mods to fix the things I don't like about the Wrangler.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
With that being said, I haven't driven a Gladiator and hate how Wranglers drive. If using for long trips, I would probably go Toyota. If most trips are short, then prop still Gladiator. There are also probably mods to fix the things I don't like about the Wrangler.
This is a good point to consider. Most of my trips are under 1 hour.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It's good to see someone shopping for the "right" truck for the "right" reasons. I like seeing tow capacity near the top of the list when considering a 24' boat in the future.

It sounds like all these vehicles fall into the capable category, so with all true brand biases aside, any one of them could be a contender. I don't think there is a wrong decision, and it may come down to dollars at the time of purchase. As each brand will have different promotions etc. That being said, what you drive right now may help too. As many have loyalty money to keep you with their brand. While others may have attainment money to pull you away from your chosen brand.

If it comes down to a Chevy, consider looking at the GMC Canyon. After owning two Chevy's and 3 GMC's over the past 16 years, the GMC comparable truck will always have a bit nicer fit and finish, as well as comfort components, or suspension components, or release new features 1-2 model years ahead of the similar Chevrolet. Anyone who has owned both, will agree. So my suggestion is to check that out.

The Rangers are getting more common around here. And I feel GM should have renamed the Colorado/Canyon to a new name. As the prior generation got a bad name. I owned 2 Colorados and had great luck with them, but they were a whole different animal than the current generation for sure.

Good luck!

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
This is a good point to consider. Most of my trips are under 1 hour.
Also to be fair - I drive a Ram 1500 with Air Suspension -arguably one of the best riding vehicles out there, so when I get a base Wranlger as a loaner....it's not quite a fair comparison.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That being said, what you drive right now may help too. As many have loyalty money to keep you with their brand. While others may have attainment money to pull you away from your chosen brand.
I have a 2010 nissan pathfinder LE 4x4 now. I bought it to tow my AR192 for a few years, but I got burned on it. The previous owner had the notorious coolant in transmission problem so now it needs a valve body to the tune of $1500. I'm going to Brazil end of the year so i'm going to have my mechanic put a rebuilt valve body while im gone and then i'll sell the truck for hopefully $8k. Otherwise the truck is good, but i'm ready for something newer. I redid most the suspension, tires, and brakes over the past few years

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would go ford.
and that's from a member whose name is "Chevyguy"

I have a neighbor that has 250K on his canyon, it's an older model, I don't know the year,

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have an interesting story about the Wrangler. My friend rented a Wrangler to drive a long trip. She had a scary situation where she had to stop short and she felt the vehicle wasn't safe. She was so sure that something was wrong with the Wrangler, but I assured her that its normal and they don't drive like a normal SUV. She was so freaked out by it that she gave it back to the rental company and got something different. I've found that women LOVE wranglers, but they always fall out of love after driving them because they're not prepared for it. They just like the idea of a Wrangler.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
yeah the older canyons got a bad wrap. those things were designed back in the recession days when gm was going through the bankruptcy thing. the newer ones, 2015 and up, are completely different and on another level. as for resale, i wouldnt even make that a thing because any dealer you trade any one of these trucks into is going to give you the absolute least amount possible. it wont make a bit of difference what you say its worth. forget the resale and get the truck you want. the gladiator would however hold value the best over any of them. jeeps are just astronomically priced for what your getting. there is nothing to them, they get older and are constant maintenance and they are priced waaay over everything else simply because of the demand.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have an interesting story about the Wrangler. My friend rented a Wrangler to drive a long trip. She had a scary situation where she had to stop short and she felt the vehicle wasn't safe. She was so sure that something was wrong with the Wrangler, but I assured her that its normal and they don't drive like a normal SUV. She was so freaked out by it that she gave it back to the rental company and got something different. I've found that women LOVE wranglers, but they always fall out of love after driving them because they're not prepared for it. They just like the idea of a Wrangler.
Doesn't surprise me.... However around here - no one seems to fall out of love with them. Tons of modded up Jeeps driven by women. Tons driven by men. Tons of Wranglers in general, and yet even still my friends bare bones 2 door 2007 Wrangler is worth nearly 15k (girl owned lol)

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a Tacoma, and plan on using it to tow a 24'er once I find one. 50ish miles to the lake. Pretty flat terrain in central Indiana. Per the dealer, the Tacoma should handle it with no problems. I specifically asked them when I bought it. I am sure many will have opinions on that.. As for the interior and comfort, I love mine. No complaints.

Attachments

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's my vote, I also have the color matched hardtop. I've owned a lot of vehicles and the Gladiator by far is my favorite.

My wife drives a 2020 Wrangler Unlimited and we love them.

@I_squared_r Jeep recently released a TSB to have steering boxes replaced if customers complain of steering issues, perhaps the Wrangler your friend drove didn't have the repair. Neither my Gladiator or my wife's Wrangler have the new steering box and they drive fine.

20200405_131837.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ZR2 Colorado with the Duramax Diesel. Or the GMC Canyon Denali with the Duramax. Either of those would get my vote.

I'm on my 2nd GMC and have exceptional success with them. Most likely stay with the brand moving forward. might get a Yukon Denali next time instead of a pickup.

Toyota is too light for a 24ft. Toyota is "light" in general for towing duty. Interior doesn't fit me even a little bit at 6'2" tall. Feel like I'm sitting on the floor.

Gladiator is probably the best bet for a 24ft IMO, it's just physically larger than the others.

I don't like the ford turbo 4cyl as a tow engine in the Ford. Be great for everything else, but sustained high load applications isn't great for a gas fueled turbo motor.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ZR2 Colorado with the Duramax Diesel. Or the GMC Canyon Denali with the Duramax. Either of those would get my vote.
I love the way a black ZR2 Colorado looks, but despite the engine choice, it only is rated for 5000lbs. I guess the raised suspension isn't stable enough so it loses 2000lbs capacity. The same thing happens to the Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - 4500lbs with the raised suspension. The interesting thing is that the Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro is best in class 6400lb towing capacity - somehow only losing 400lbs capacity when raised.

So it is tempting to find a certified preowned Toyota Tacoma TRD and use that to tow a 24ft boat. Currently I only tow my boat a whopping 1 mile to the ramp and there isn't hills. But idk what the future will bring.

I'm moving away from the Ranger and Gladiator because of cost. I can't find these preowned because they are still new. I could buy a certified preowned Tacoma or Colorado and leave money for a boat upgrade..

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a Tacoma, and plan on using it to tow a 24'er once I find one. 50ish miles to the lake. Pretty flat terrain in central Indiana. Per the dealer, the Tacoma should handle it with no problems. I specifically asked them when I bought it. I am sure many will have opinions on that.. As for the interior and comfort, I love mine. No complaints.
It looks great with those wheels and running boards!

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'd say Gladiator with the new EcoDiesel. Good mileage, good towing capacity. Aftermarket parts is huge and affordable. Might be more expensive but it will hold it's value more than the others. Cons, buying DEF.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you. It is a Colts Edition. 1 of 11 or so made. It's an Indiana thing. lol

View attachment 134137
I'm leaning towards buying a preowned Tacoma TRD, color cement grey, fully loaded. I never wash my car so greys and silvers hides the dirt well. I washed my Pathfinder once in the past year and it looks fine lol