• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Shopping - Update: now with build, bikes, and colorado

Which mid-size truck? (please read first)

• Tacoma

Votes: 33 50.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Gladiator

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You can also get a pretty loaded Ram brand new for low 40s.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will chime as well. A full size truck allows you future choices on boat as well as destinations and trips if you so desire. I am a Ford Guy, but definitely like the Dodge and GMC as well. I didn't see mention of your family size, or I may have missed it, but that was a deciding factor on my current vehicle. I had an F-150 that just came off of lease about the time we were talking about a boat. I decided to do an Expedition, 2017 used - since the new ones were ridiculous in price..... Of course I don't get any discounts :( or incentives. My truck would hold 5 people, but what if each kid wanted to bring 1 friend, we have 2 kids, now I need to take 6. Not great. Have had to seat 8 in it on a couple of trips. Especially long trips for a vacation. Can't really take multiple vehicles. The Expedition worked out fantastic.

So our decision was full size with the towing capacity as well as the room to bring along whomever we needed to. I looked at the smaller trucks it just wouldn't have worked out.

Full size Truck, which are very affordable, or full size SUV would be my advice.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You only mentioned trucks but if you're really thinking about a big boat then some of the mid size SUVs have stronger engine options available that are comparable to a full size truck and they would be even shorter than a mid size pickup for navigating NYC.
I mtn bike too and just use a hitch mount rack when I don't want to take the wheel off to throw it in the back.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ripler Not trying to derail thread, but I drove one, and it felt small to us inside with 4 people. Also, and I could be wrong, I was told that the passenger seat in front had no adjustments really, which the Admiral needs to be comfortable with her back. I guess there are some mod kits as well as people buying the Passenger (driver) seat from the UK models and putting them in. And at the price point I could get into a decent SUV or definitely full size pickup.

Don't get me wrong, I love Jeeps and had a couple in late 90's as well as a couple Liberty's and was really excited for this model when they announced it, and they are cool. Just not right for us.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would go to the dealers and drive each one. You’ll cut your list in half because you won’t like the dealer or the truck. If you’re like me you’ll pick based on value, features for the price. While I understand not wanting a full size truck being in the city (been there), you probably should look at “midsized” SUVs like Durango or Explorer too. They will have bigger engine options for greater towing and more interior space. If you go the Carvana route (buying sight unseen) I’d pick the Ranger or Gladiator (get max tow options). Be careful trying to “future proof“ your choice, if you buy a 24’ boat, you’ll probably buy a new rig within a year anyway. (We might ALL need electric vehicles by the end of this decade. :winkingthumbsup")

I've been looking for a truck and i'm overwhelmed with options.. I plan to buy and keep this truck for a long time and people say Toyota or Ford. My driving is 1/3 in NYC, 1/3 to go mountain biking, and 1/3 towing an AR192 (maybe upgrade to an AR240 in the future). The trucks that really catch my eye are the mid-sized pick ups. Full size is more capability than I need and hard to find parking in NYC. Some parking garages charge double for full size trucks.

Tacoma TRD Sport - Price same as Ranger/Colorado. this would be really cool in cement gray, a lift, and larger tires, but the towing capacity is only 6400lb. Has sunroof. Motor is weak compared to others in the class.

Ford Ranger Lariat - Price same as Tacoma/Colorado. tows 7500lbs and have a ton of technology. Ecoboost is a strong motor. No sunroof. More refined. Looks tough with a different grill, lift, and blacked out.

Jeep Gladiator Sport S with options- tows 7650lbs. $5k more than the competition. Kind of ugly without extensive modifications to make it look tough. Really cool that the top comes off, but not sure how much i'd actually use it.

Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 - Price same as Ranger/Tacoma. these look really cool in black with a small lift. 7000lbs towing. Interior is kind of boring. Everyone is telling me to stay away from chevrolet

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the AR250 now and 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton or Full Sized SUV, then call it good.:)

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I didn't see mention of your family size, or I may have missed it, but that was a deciding factor on my current vehicle.
I'm a single guy and not looking to start a family.

While I understand not wanting a full size truck being in the city (been there), you probably should look at “midsized” SUVs like Durango or Explorer too.
I was looking at a Durango RT in the beginning, but I noticed the body shape looks like a small minivan with an aggressive front end, and now I cant unsee it lol it is like a family truck. Also i'm not sure if I can trust Dodge at this time. I was a mechanic from 2007 until 2014 and all Chrysler products were a disaster. With that said, I can feel very confident that if I spent $40k on a Tacoma that it would last forever. And if I need to upgrade later, then I won't lose too much on the trade up to Tundra.

I was looking at mods for the Tacoma, if I can get the right Tacoma for low 40's then I can work my budget to do some mods. Small body lift, 31" tires, running boards, bash guards.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm a single guy and not looking to start a family.

I was looking at a Durango RT in the beginning, but I noticed the body shape looks like a small minivan with an aggressive front end, and now I cant unsee it lol it is like a family truck. Also i'm not sure if I can trust Dodge at this time. I was a mechanic from 2007 until 2014 and all Chrysler products were a disaster. With that said, I can feel very confident that if I spent $40k on a Tacoma that it would last forever. And if I need to upgrade later, then I won't lose too much on the trade up to Tundra.

I was looking at mods for the Tacoma, if I can get the right Tacoma for low 40's then I can work my budget to do some mods. Small body lift, 31" tires, running boards, bash guards.
The Durango is getting a pretty hefty refresh for MY21. Anything with the Pentastar or Hemi with the 8spd transmission (pretty much standard on everything now) should be pretty darn reliable. Not a very moddable vehicle though.

I really like the look of the Explorer STs but no idea what they cost - prob 60k+.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like the look of the Explorer STs but no idea what they cost - prob 60k+.
I like those as well, but I don't think they have the stuff to drag a 24ft'er around. Probably a 19, maybe a 21, but the 24's of recent are more than most unibody SUV's care to deal with.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I like those as well, but I don't think they have the stuff to drag a 24ft'er around. Probably a 19, maybe a 21, but the 24's of recent are more than most unibody SUV's care to deal with.
Your right - I just checked and they max at 5,600. The inside is also bland to say the least.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ah I dont know about SUV's and baby seats. I'm more into boat's and ho's.
Spend enough time around boats and hos and you'll learn about SUVs and baby seats soon enough.

Could do both. Durango SRT Hellcat was just released. Tons of power and attitude, and enough tow capacity to haul a giant boat, with seats for all the hos your new boat can handle :) :)

SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee might not be a bad choice for you either.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just my two cents: these trucks are all in the razors edge of capacity if a 24’ is in your future. Figure 5800-6000 loaded and wet, gives you little room for additional load in the vehicle. That being said, ranger would be choice, with the Toyota second (can’t stand their technology offerings).

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spend enough time around boats and hos and you'll learn about SUVs and baby seats soon enough.
Once upon a time I saw myself as being that guy .. but then I bought a boat and bachelor life got a whole lot more fun.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I found a few Tacoma builds that I like.. All the dealerships say "it's in transmit, but someone has a deposit on it"

I've been researching the discounts on Tacomas. The best deals were in October last year and someone got 13% off. When corona started and states began lockdowns, the manufacturers were looking ahead and clearing their lots with big incentives. Some guy got 11% at this time. When things started opening, there was backed up demand, cars coming off lease, and people had to buy cars. The problem is that there is a lack of supply because of the factory shut downs. Also NYC residents are buying cars to avoid taking the subway. So all the cars show "in transit" to the dealer and people are paying full price, sight unseen. This explains why 3-year old Tacomas are selling as much as NEW tacomas.

Soooo... As much as I want my Tacoma now. I also don't need it now. I should have my jet ski sold soon and i'll pay off the boat. So i'll be debt free for some time and i'll save some more money. I think early 2021 supply should catch up and we will start seeing the real impacts of the economy. I'm hoping things will turn to a buyer's market and I can exceed 10% off.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d go Gladiator, I love my Rubicon. Only the ones with the max row package can tow 7650. Max Tow is not available on the Overland or Rubicon.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only have experience with the Colorado but have been very happy with it. I tow the 242 all over. We do a 150 mile trip each year with no issues. AD16E10F-61AB-4CB7-B54C-0AD3950D3F94.jpeg