• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to find missing WOT RPMs

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
They look fine...good colour on the insulator indicates proper heat range. Fuel injected engines run a little rich at idle, so normal darkness on threads and surrounding area. More important is to look for wear at the two electrode points - check gap and see if they've worn down. Do not change gap as you may weaken the ground point weld. If gap is too wide, replace them. If not, put them back in or just replace them because they're not expensive. Plugs should last at least 200+ hours unless you run WOT all the time which wears them faster - higher revs means more sparks and wear.

The only reason they recommend checking annually is so they don't get a chance to corrode and stick causing damage to the threads in the head, which is more a salt water environment issue. If you boat in fresh, you can probably inspect yearly and change every 100-200 hours depending on wear rate. I just hit 100 hours and did my oil change and lube this past Sunday after boating. Will be pulling plugs this week to check and I have a new set ready to go in if needed. No hard starting issues so I expect they'll be fine.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
They look fine...good colour on the insulator indicates proper heat range. Fuel injected engines run a little rich at idle, so normal darkness on threads and surrounding area. More important is to look for wear at the two electrode points - check gap and see if they've worn down. Do not change gap as you may weaken the ground point weld. If gap is too wide, replace them. If not, put them back in or just replace them because they're not expensive. Plugs should last at least 200+ hours unless you run WOT all the time which wears them faster - higher revs means more sparks and wear.

The only reason they recommend checking annually is so they don't get a chance to corrode and stick causing damage to the threads in the head, which is more a salt water environment issue. If you boat in fresh, you can probably inspect yearly and change every 100-200 hours depending on wear rate. I just hit 100 hours and did my oil change and lube this past Sunday after boating. Will be pulling plugs this week to check and I have a new set ready to go in if needed. No hard starting issues so I expect they'll be fine.
Thanks. I just needed someone with more knowledge about plugs than my self to give me some input.

The reason I ask is I’m chasing down extra WOT RPM. I’m only seeing about 6950 or 7000 at WOT. I checked the throttle stop and inspected my pump. Not sure where the extra rpms went.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many rpm have you lost? My 1.8 turn 7500 in a twin SX240 ho.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
How many rpm have you lost? My 1.8 turn 7500 in a twin SX240 ho.
It's a SC engine. I think WOT is 7500 to 7700. Today I did a lake test, once I saw 7050 rpm, but most of the time it was 6900 or 6850 rpm. GPS speed at 44.

Set up includes:
SVHO intercooler (upgrade from SHO intercooler)
Lucky 13 pump cone with the largest and smallest spacers
New spark plugs in April 2021
Fresh Oil change in April 2021
I pulled pump, the impeller looked pristine.
Boat has 74.7 hours
Bearings spin nice and smooth
I adjusted the throttle to make sure it was hitting the stop in the engine bay

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They do show that engine hitting 7700 and 50mph on review tests but thats one guy on board probably no gear. New to Yamaha nice SC motor. Air box and filter good and clean. How much gear/fuel/top up or head wind that day, and many body's were in boat......... all can effect top end.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
They do show that engine hitting 7700 and 50mph on review tests but thats one guy on board probably no gear. New to Yamaha nice SC motor. Air box and filter good and clean. How much gear/fuel/top up or head wind that day, and many body's were in boat......... all can effect top end.
So when I first got the boat (January 2020), I was seeing 7500 pretty consistent. The speedometer on the dash was usually right around 49.

Today, just me (240 lbs) and my dog (70 lbs). Bimini was stowed. I had a full tank and I have added a second battery. Other gear included noodles, life jackets, a small magma kettle grill and some dock lines.

I did add Cobra Viper steering this off season, I'm starting to think it might be slowing me down, but none of this should limit the max RPMs, just effect the speed of the boat. I think?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Check oil level is not too high - too much and the engine is fighting to hit revs. With the 1.8 engines you need to trailer the boat, level the motor and check levels, not on the water.
And double-check the gaps on the plugs - they should be 0.8-0.9". If they're worn in the center the gap will be too big and you'll get a weak spark which will rob you of peak power and revs. Since they're not expensive, do a fresh plugs change and see if that resolves your issue - might have a weak plug, then you'll know what to look for next time. If it doesn't, then you have another issue to find unfortunately.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Check oil level is not too high - too much and the engine is fighting to hit revs. With the 1.8 engines you need to trailer the boat, level the motor and check levels, not on the water.
And double-check the gaps on the plugs - they should be 0.8-0.9". If they're worn in the center the gap will be too big and you'll get a weak spark which will rob you of peak power and revs. Since they're not expensive, do a fresh plugs change and see if that resolves your issue - might have a weak plug, then you'll know what to look for next time. If it doesn't, then you have another issue to find unfortunately.
Thanks. I checked the oil today when I got back. It is showing right at the top of the second hole on the dip stick. I will have to wait until later to check the gaps, but when I put the plugs in in April, I gapped them all to .8".

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks. I checked the oil today when I got back. It is showing right at the top of the second hole on the dip stick.
That should be ok but I always fill to half way point in both my cars and boats. It's actually better to be a bit low than high.
I will have to wait until later to check the gaps, but when I put the plugs in in April, I gapped them all to .8".
NGK plugs are pre-gapped and specific for certain engine conditions, and NGK says they should not be adjusted. If you buy new plugs and their gaps are off, exchange them for proper new plugs with the correct gap (I check gaps in the store). Adjusting the gap can damage the electrode weld and cause failure, or even just weaken the weld so the gap changes under combustion pressures. If the gap were to be pushed in to 0.7 that would cause incomplete combustion and rob you of power.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That should be ok but I always fill to half way point in both my cars and boats. It's actually better to be a bit low than high.

NGK plugs are pre-gapped and specific for certain engine conditions, and NGK says they should not be adjusted. If you buy new plugs and their gaps are off, exchange them for proper new plugs with the correct gap (I check gaps in the store). Adjusting the gap can damage the electrode weld and cause failure, or even just weaken the weld so the gap changes under combustion pressures. If the gap were to be pushed in to 0.7 that would cause incomplete combustion and rob you of power.
Wow great spark plug information. Thank you! I’ll check them and just buy some new ones.

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I will lose 500+ rpm at wot if I have oil filled over halfway when leveled on a trailer. My 1.8s are regularly around 8k when I am loaded down surfing.
I bought an oil extractor pump off amazon and it makes oil changes and adjusting oil levels super easy. I bought an OEM Tool’s one that holds 9.5 liters so I can do both motors at the same time.
EEF1C843-7CFF-4E56-AF4D-EDFE44B915EF.png

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I will lose 500+ rpm at wot if I have oil filled over halfway when leveled on a trailer. My 1.8s are regularly around 8k when I am loaded down surfing.
I bought an oil extractor pump off amazon and it makes oil changes and adjusting oil levels super easy. I bought an OEM Tool’s one that holds 9.5 liters so I can do both motors at the same time.
View attachment 156253
Thanks. I checked filter and it wasn’t wet with oil. I did see some oil in the supercharger pipe but it’s from the PCV system I assume.
I’ll extract all the oil out and see how much comes out. Update when that’s done.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How is water flow out of the witness holes on the side of the boat. Wondering if you've slightly clogged an intercooler, not getting good water flow, and subsequently getting hot air in the intake.

Also wonder if it's worth checking the supercharger clutch. Seems to be a rash (2-3) of those go out for others lately. Not sure if that components fails instantly or kinda "wears down" over time. Just a thought.

Could also just be weather related. I thought I had a problem while in the Gulf last month. Only getting ~7,300 rpm from my 1.8L. Didn't want to address it while on vacation, figured I would deal with it later. Got home, and despite being at 800ft elevation instead of sea level I was back to 7,650 rpm. Best I can figure is the Gulf air was 95deg and around 85% humidity, while the air at home was 79deg and about 50% humidity. Those 300revs makes a big difference in speed on my 190.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
How is water flow out of the witness holes on the side of the boat. Wondering if you've slightly clogged an intercooler, not getting good water flow, and subsequently getting hot air in the intake.

Also wonder if it's worth checking the supercharger clutch. Seems to be a rash (2-3) of those go out for others lately. Not sure if that components fails instantly or kinda "wears down" over time. Just a thought.

Could also just be weather related. I thought I had a problem while in the Gulf last month. Only getting ~7,300 rpm from my 1.8L. Didn't want to address it while on vacation, figured I would deal with it later. Got home, and despite being at 800ft elevation instead of sea level I was back to 7,650 rpm. Best I can figure is the Gulf air was 95deg and around 85% humidity, while the air at home was 79deg and about 50% humidity. Those 300revs makes a big difference in speed on my 190.
Thanks. So the water flow out of the intercooler relief was a little weak at idle, but when throttled up, it was strong. When idling, the intercooler relief was warmer than the lake water and the engine one was pretty hot. not scalding hot, but warm enough that I couldn't leave my hand there for more than a few seconds.

I couldn't feel them when at speed, since I was the only one in the boat.

Water temp yesterday was 84 and air temp was 84 and humidity was 76%

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Were you getting normal/high rpm's after installing the lucky 13 cone and those spacers. You could be putting more of a load on the pump and motor. Just thinking out loud.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Were you getting normal/high rpm's after installing the lucky 13 cone and those spacers. You could be putting more of a load on the pump and motor. Just thinking out loud.
After lucky 13 cone, I was at 7550 to 7600. I even removed one of the spacers before my test run yesterday, but that didn't help. Thought about removing all the spacers and seeing how that runs. I really like the L13 cone, as it don't get any of the cavitation when going WOT from a dead stop or when doing hard turns.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After lucky 13 cone, I was at 7550 to 7600. I even removed one of the spacers before my test run yesterday, but that didn't help. Thought about removing all the spacers and seeing how that runs. I really like the L13 cone, as it don't get any of the cavitation when going WOT from a dead stop or when doing hard turns.
Those spacers will tune a couple hundred RPM at most on our boats. We have so much load on these pumps that the spacers really don't change much at all. The effect is much more pronounced in the ski's with the same pumps.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Those spacers will tune a couple hundred RPM at most on our boats. We have so much load on these pumps that the spacers really don't change much at all. The effect is much more pronounced in the ski's with the same pumps.
So you're saying that all the spacers removed should still remove cavitation and just run the L13 cone with no spacers? Thanks!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So you're saying that all the spacers removed should still remove cavitation and just run the L13 cone with no spacers? Thanks!
It's worth a try to see how it reacts. Swapping spacers is remarkably easy. I wouldn't expect but maybe 2-300rpm change between all spacers and no spacers.