• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to get reverse down

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New Yamaha SX190 owner. Having trouble with reverse drive. I know it's me, but there doesn't seem to be much if any control in reverse. Especially when turning starboard. Seem to have more control when turning port. Anyone else notice this? I guess no one makes any attachments for the 2019 up?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just add the cobra super ultimate ak-19 deluxe to it and it will be like a different boat in forward and in reverse and in all speeds not just at the dock and get a plaining surface for faster hole shots and a cleaner wake plus a smoother ride in chop for only $268.99 It is also spring loaded and adjustable with free domestic shipping and a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee, www.cobrajetsteering.com
Cobra Venom Ultimate AK-19FITS 2019 model year and newer Yamaha Single Engine jet boats ONLY! (see below for twin-engine)
Due to Yamaha redesigning the nozzles and reverse buckets starting with the 2019 models, we have the newest AK-19 versions to provide you with the ULTIMATE steering for more control at all speeds from docking to wide open and water sports activities.
This system offers all the features and benefits of the original Ultimate steering with a wider and more effective stance to be compatible with the new 2019 and newer nozzle designs. Fully adjustable, selectable, and spring-loaded this system is built from the same tempered aluminum for strength and effectiveness with a low profile.

Attachments

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
New Yamaha SX190 owner. Having trouble with reverse drive. I know it's me, but there doesn't seem to be much if any control in reverse. Especially when turning starboard. Seem to have more control when turning port. Anyone else notice this? I guess no one makes any attachments for the 2019 up?
Since reverse is taking the jet thrust and pushing it down and to the sides, you need 1.5-2x as much throttle to get more control and speed compared to forward thrust. In reverse, the A/K rudder helps but you need some water moving over the rudder to get that reaction.

For instance, when we launch our boat at the ramp, we take it off the trailer by hand with dock lines. We tie it off and I fire up the engines to let them warm up while I park the truck. By the time I get back, the engines are warmed up and we can push off and hit reverse with some decent throttle and she moves back pretty good. With that bit of reverse speed, I can crank the wheel to start her turning, then crank back the other way and pop her into forward - turns in a boat length or so and we're moving off.

Just get out and practice reverse throttle positions a bit and you'll get the hang of it.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Since reverse is taking the jet thrust and pushing it down and to the sides, you need 1.5-2x as much throttle to get more control and speed compared to forward thrust. In reverse, the A/K rudder helps but you need some water moving over the rudder to get that reaction.

For instance, when we launch our boat at the ramp, we take it off the trailer by hand with dock lines. We tie it off and I fire up the engines to let them warm up while I park the truck. By the time I get back, the engines are warmed up and we can push off and hit reverse with some decent throttle and she moves back pretty good. With that bit of reverse speed, I can crank the wheel to start her turning, then crank back the other way and pop her into forward - turns in a boat length or so and we're moving off.

Just get out and practice reverse throttle positions a bit and you'll get the hang of it.
I'll be heading out for my maiden voyage tomorrow, and I'll be solo. Where do you put your dock lines? The bow and stern, or do you use the middle one too? (212SE) Thanks!

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'll be heading out for my maiden voyage tomorrow, and I'll be solo. Where do you put your dock lines? The bow and stern, or do you use the middle one too? (212SE) Thanks!
Dock lines go bow and stern for simple tie ups like launching. I put a fender on the front bow grab rail about 2ft from the front edge, one on the middle cleat, one around the rear tower tube, and one on the rear cleat. Watch your dock lines don't fall in the water or you'll suck them up.

When I tie up for longer periods like lunch, then I put at least one more dock line on the middle cleat and tie off fore or aft depending on how I want to keep the boat from moving. If backed in, I put a 3rd line pulling the boat forward so the stern doesn't drift to the dock, and vice versa. For overnight docking I tie 4 lines keeping the bow and stern from drifting out and fore/aft as well.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Thanks...First time out and by myself, don't want to look like a rookie. Sounds like what I was planning on, but only with 3 fenders. My dock lines are only 15 feet, so I'll try to set up the stern line so I can grab it while I'm pushing off. Thanks for your help!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I rarely ever used the rear cleat. They are just too low to be of any real use. I think you’ll find the bow and midship cleat will be your go-to cleats for tying up. The cleats are also small so if trying to use thick dock lines you’ll have issues especially when you add in the fenders. I used my tower as a midship fender tie off point so I had no issues using dock lines at the cleat.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have an older model, but the principals are the same. During launch and retrieve we use only a bow and stern line, no spring lines unless the dock has other boats tied up near us. When we dock our boats, even for fuel or lunch we will use at least one spring line, depending on wind and current, preferably two spring lines to keep the boat in it's spot. We leave our lines tied to the boat's cleat's and secure them inboard while using the boat. For our slip, I tied a fender to the dock cleat where the stern of the boat rests. That fender helps us ID our slip when everybody is out and you don't have to look for the little #'s on the end of the dock. I tie a bow and stern line and then, two spring lines from the middle cleat. I use the tower to tie off fenders, I can get the fenders where they will better protect the hull from the dock, than just using the cleats positions. Tying up the 35' Beneteau is very similar, even though it has no midship cleat, spring lines are just arranged a little differently.

As far as the OP...Cobra ultimates w/ mega fangs, for our model, made a difference in my ability to back into our slip without bumping into everything around us.

20180623_150726.jpg
20180623_150817.jpg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The Cobra Jet steering upgrade made the biggest difference for us.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have an older model, but the principals are the same. During launch and retrieve we use only a bow and stern line, no spring lines unless the dock has other boats tied up near us. When we dock our boats, even for fuel or lunch we will use at least one spring line, depending on wind and current, preferably two spring lines to keep the boat in it's spot. We leave our lines tied to the boat's cleat's and secure them inboard while using the boat. For our slip, I tied a fender to the dock cleat where the stern of the boat rests. That fender helps us ID our slip when everybody is out and you don't have to look for the little #'s on the end of the dock. I tie a bow and stern line and then, two spring lines from the middle cleat. I use the tower to tie off fenders, I can get the fenders where they will better protect the hull from the dock, than just using the cleats positions. Tying up the 35' Beneteau is very similar, even though it has no midship cleat, spring lines are just arranged a little differently.

As far as the OP...Cobra ultimates w/ mega fangs, for our model, made a difference in my ability to back into our slip without bumping into everything around us.

View attachment 143348
View attachment 143349
LOL at the boat tied up southwest of you in that last picture!! I respect your tightly coiled rope ends - looks like he went full whiskey banana on his cleats.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL at the boat tied up southwest of you in that last picture!! I respect your tightly coiled rope ends - looks like he went full whiskey banana on his cleats.
Agreed, lol. Funny, I only ever saw 3 very nice older ladies on that boat, we helped them in a couple of times. I guess one of them likes macrame more than flemishing.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
What's up with this swim platform? This thing is HUGE! You could have a picnic on that.

1614697478668.png

@zipper Nice coil job!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What's up with this swim platform? This thing is HUGE! You could have a picnic on that.

View attachment 143355

@zipper Nice coil job!
That is a SeaRay swim platform. It is big as compared to the boat's LOA. Thanks for the comment on flemishing the working ends of the docklines. Willow started doing it, and I quickly adopted the technique. It is 2nd nature now. It is better stepping on a coil than slipping on a loose end.

20210302_104148.jpg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That is a SeaRay swim platform. It is big as compared to the boat's LOA. Thanks for the comment on flemishing the working ends of the docklines. Willow started doing it, and I quickly adopted the technique. It is 2nd nature now. It is better stepping on a coil than slipping on a loose end.

View attachment 143361
I love that sailboat - i've been looking at used boats online quite a bit. I'd love to have the time to use it and the Yamaha. Maybe in retirement.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I love that sailboat - i've been looking at used boats online quite a bit. I'd love to have the time to use it and the Yamaha. Maybe in retirement.
Thanks, us too. It is a labor of love. We use it a lot. When the winds don't blow we use the Yamaha.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I know where there is one. Hasn't moved in the 5 years since I've been here. It's a fixer-up-her. Let me know if interested.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was curious, someone else might be too...

lokart

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just add the cobra super ultimate ak-19 deluxe to it and it will be like a different boat in forward and in reverse and in all speeds not just at the dock and get a plaining surface for faster hole shots and a cleaner wake plus a smoother ride in chop for only $268.99 It is also spring loaded and adjustable with free domestic shipping and a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee, www.cobrajetsteering.com
Cobra Venom Ultimate AK-19FITS 2019 model year and newer Yamaha Single Engine jet boats ONLY! (see below for twin-engine)
Due to Yamaha redesigning the nozzles and reverse buckets starting with the 2019 models, we have the newest AK-19 versions to provide you with the ULTIMATE steering for more control at all speeds from docking to wide open and water sports activities.
This system offers all the features and benefits of the original Ultimate steering with a wider and more effective stance to be compatible with the new 2019 and newer nozzle designs. Fully adjustable, selectable, and spring-loaded this system is built from the same tempered aluminum for strength and effectiveness with a low profile.
I did order the VIPER AK-19 and have it here on my bench waiting to install. Should I have ordered the super ultimate?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
did you order the top fangs also?