• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trying to plan a trip to NC/VA lakes, looking for tips/advise

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, both my wife and I have been part of the essential workers during the pandemic and now have some vacation time we would like to use. Well, actually need! We have been looking to go to the larger NC/VA area lakes. We are a family of 5, (3 boys ages 8-12) We have also been "dreaming" of someday buying a small piece of land on one of them some day for future use. Probably never happen but we can dream, right? Lakes we are considering visiting include Kerr, Norman, Gaston, High Rock, Jordan, Wylie Falls, SML, Anna. Time frame looks to be August 1-around 19ish. We do not have a camper but don't mind tenting to keep the total vacation cost in check. We did some island camping at George and Saranac and a stay at Sebago last year and learned a few things to do and not to do. Mainly, don't forget you need to put the tow vehicle somewhere and the boat needs a secure place over night too :facepalm:.
Looking for locals tips on where to look to stay, launch, things to see, things to avoid, fees/inspections/permits/stickers to take care of in advance, any other advise I may be missing. I know this is very broad and some of it is dumb to ask but this would be a long trip and kind of far from home, about 800 miles at our furthest point. Please feel free to pm me if you feel that is better. Thank you all in advance and maybe, we will see some of you out there.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm a big fan of lake gaston. You can rent a house with a boat lift for a reasonable amount of money. They have a couple restaurants on the water, which is awesome, plenty of smooth water coves for watersports. I have a buddy that has a house on Gaston and have spent a ton of time on it. Rented a place there in July that I can't wait to go to.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
May want to consider Lake James in NC. You can combine boating, fishing and hiking as well. Shortoff Mountain, Linville Gorge, and Mt.Mitchell (highest peak east of the Rockies) are about 25 miles away. Asheville (about 50 minutes to the West) is a good day trip as well from Lake James. Biltmore is there. You can also do runs to Dupont Forest where they filmed some of the Hunger Games...and has some falls to see as well.

Not very much in terms of retail or restaurants around though.

Pic from last weekend is below.

Attachments

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
May want to consider Lake James in NC. You can combine boating, fishing and hiking as well. Shortoff Mountain, Linville Gorge, and Mt.Mitchell (highest peak east of the Rockies) are about 25 miles away. Asheville (about 50 minutes to the West) is a good day trip as well from Lake James. Biltmore is there. You can also do runs to Dupont Forest where they filmed some of the Hunger Games...and has some falls to see as well.

Not very much in terms of retail or restaurants around though.

Pic from last weekend is below.
Thank you, this area looks like it fits us perfectly. Added to our list.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lake Norman is nice. That's where we boat. Skip High Rock Lake. Very small and "dirty".
I would love to live on Lake Norman, most homes are $1 million and above. And everyone has a Malibu or Natique. Lots of NASCAR drivers live on LKN, Tiger Woods and Oprah also have homes here.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Second the Lake Gaston idea. Have a place on the main lake between MM 25 & 26 (VA side of lake) and it is always peaceful there and lots of smooth water and the fishing is fantastic.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Loved Lake Gaston! We also have family with a house on Lake Kerr and they love it as well. I love to have a place or two to stop and eat but not have it as busy as a Norman or Lanier. We rented a bunch of houses with people on this site that had a group of slips associated with them - small marina. I can't recall the name of it right this moment but if you search this site on Gaston from a few years ago it will be there. Have fun - sounds like a great trip!!

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Perfect. Thank you. Just the type of info we were looking for.
Stacey, nice boat name :)
Thanks! Named after my three sons....and I come from a family of engineers and math nerds.