• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

tubing <how long of a rope to use>

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree, the TV-W works as advertised to cut down the tubing spray. Second season on mine and it works well using a standard 60' rope from the tower.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have cobra fins, no difference in splash.
This all has a lot to do with how you tube as well.
Yes I can get the tube out of the wake and that it is not much splash as you are just going straight.
What my kids enjoy and what I enjoy (as a 50 year old who also tubes) is when you whip the tube out to the sides of the boat.
When you do this the tube speeds up and every one has to hold on.
You can see peoples faces light up when you do this correctly.
I have no interest is throwing riders off the tube or injuring anyone.
When I do a good job getting this right, riders always get back in the boat and say that was so fun.
It has a lot to do with how you turn the wheel and how you throttle on and off to get it right.
I guess if you have real young kids, just going straight in the tube is fun.
When you go side to side like this and cross the wake, the rope always makes more splash as it passes through the jet wash.
Again if you pull from a tower, you eliminate the rope in the jet wash.
I don't have a tower to pull from.
If I did I don't think I would pull from it, we normally tube with 2 or 3 people and when you whip the tube you can feel a lot of extra pull on the boat, I would not want that much stress on a tower but that is just my opinion I know many people still tow tubes from the tower.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe I have the standard 60 foot. I would think another 20 feet would be better. I did try the ball but like stated in the previous post it keeps the tube in the wake, made the problem worse. Maybe adding ballast to the front will reduce the wash??
You can try but I doubt this will work. Keep in mind that when the boat is "at speed" the jet nozzle is right about level with the water, so it's pointing straight back at the tubers. If you try to drop the bow, that will raise the stern (and nozzle), which will likely make your problem worse. That said, I have noticed in the 19' boats that the jet angle is susceptible to weight distribution but also by water chop conditions, so what usually works one time may not the next.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just put this up for you guys to check out. More test results from the other Jetboat Pilot toys to come. But this may be helpful. Please note, this is on a twin engine, but you can expect similar results from a single engine boat.

PS: for early viewers today, this video quality will go up as YouTube processes the video. Bump it to 1080p when available.

This video was put together to show the common Wakeboarding and Tubing speeds on a Yamaha 242LS with Thrust Vector Wake installed.

GPS speeds were monitored for accuracy as we show the amount of spray deflection from stopping speed up to 28mph. Concentration being from 18-23mph, which are common Tubing and Wakeboarding speeds.

As you will see, there is plenty of spray up close, but at tow rope distance, that spray is minimal.

We have found that 400lb of ballast does provide a nice small wake for our tubers, and minimal wake for a wakeboarder.

Please note, that the Jetwash Deflector is not deployed at these speeds. The deflector is deployed and used at surf speeds only. 10-11.5mph. It is not needed at tube and wakeboard speeds, as it will have minimal contact with the water.

Chris D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info but comparing your 242 to a 19 footer doesn't show us too much. There’s too many variables between the two boats going on here. Your tubing setup does look much more favorable than my setup though.
I just put this up for you guys to check out. More test results from the other Jetboat Pilot toys to come. But this may be helpful. Please note, this is on a twin engine, but you can expect similar results from a single engine boat.

PS: for early viewers today, this video quality will go up as YouTube processes the video. Bump it to 1080p when available.

This video was put together to show the common Wakeboarding and Tubing speeds on a Yamaha 242LS with Thrust Vector Wake installed.

GPS speeds were monitored for accuracy as we show the amount of spray deflection from stopping speed up to 28mph. Concentration being from 18-23mph, which are common Tubing and Wakeboarding speeds.

As you will see, there is plenty of spray up close, but at tow rope distance, that spray is minimal.

We have found that 400lb of ballast does provide a nice small wake for our tubers, and minimal wake for a wakeboarder.

Please note, that the Jetwash Deflector is not deployed at these speeds. The deflector is deployed and used at surf speeds only. 10-11.5mph. It is not needed at tube and wakeboard speeds, as it will have minimal contact with the water.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info but comparing your 242 to a 19 footer doesn't show us too much. There’s too many variables between the two boats going on here. Your tubing setup does look much more favorable than my setup though.
That's a fair statement as mentioned, you just have to take my word for it, that the testing from the 19' boats and TV-W had similar spray knockdown results. I just don't have the video proof to share. It is very obvious at rope distance, it will be a dry ride. Check out JBP youtube channel for the camera on the tube. Hardly a spritz of water on the lens while on the tube. That says quite a bit. And to the OP's request, that is what they are looking for.

Jetboatdave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
TV-X and Cobra will not change the amount of spray, and they are not advertised for that purpose. The TV-W does cut down on spray. We have two seasons on TV-W, and the kids (self proclaimed tubing pros) will confirm, it's a better experience. I will grab some screen shots I took a week ago while testing some other surf products, as I specifically shot tubing and wake boarding speeds to share the wake/spray knock down.
thankyou.

LakeTravisBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure your tube is inflated enough. If you are not using a high pressure pump like for a SUP board or top off with a hand pump you tube is not inflated fully.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure your tube is inflated enough. If you are not using a high pressure pump like for a SUP board or top off with a hand pump you tube is not inflated fully.
Agreed. 2-3psi in a tube makes a WORLD of difference in it's "slidability" to get it outside the wake.

QuakeTen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I typically use a 70' rope with our Super Mable and there is very limited spray. At times, I drop down to 60' and the kids say they get some spray but it is manageable. All the riders are typically wearing googles and that helps as the spray in the eyes is what ruins it for them. I bought two 3-packs of googles at Costco before the season started and keep them in the boat at all times.

When starting, I get up a reasonable speed (~15mph) and give the boat a little wiggle to get them outside the wake. Once they are there, I can hit the throttle to get up to 20-23mph and then keep sliding them back and forth with the goal to get them outside the wake on each side. I find when pulling them straight behind the boat at 25+mph, they will get hit with a ton a spray and it isn't fun (even at 70').

As stated several times above, inflate that tube so it is rock hard and has no give. Be mindful when the tube goes into the water, the temperature change ( a decrease in temp) can cause the tube to become under recommended inflation pressure. *insert joke about Tom Brady's game balls here*

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When towing young kids I just gently move the tube outside the wake - issue solved.
When towing older kids, they only spend seconds in the wake as they are going back and forth behind the boat.....a little spray is the least of their concerns. I've never had anyone complain about spray except when I tow in a straight line (which I do intentionally to spray the naughty ones! LOL).