• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

txav8r's new barn construction (RV but could be boat)

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This type of construction could easily be done for your boat. It is a DIY type of construction with overhead clearance because it doesn't have rafters. I didn't intend to employ this type of barn construction initially. But after inquiring and being called back by the sales department at the manufacturer, I ended up buying a new barn package that will be delivered on Sunday. I haven't even finished my foundation yet! Any construction project has delays...the biggest with contractors, is the time the take off around holidays. So this thread will follow the construction of my quonset hut style barn project. I bought this barn from Future Buildings. It was a leftover slated for delivery to Louisiana, that was cancelled due to late summer rains that flooded the area. So a deal was had. If you wish to know specifics, you will have to send me a private conversation and we can talk about that there. Long story short on that, they ran a 50% off sale on those barns and extra inventory they had, and I negotiated from there.

This is not my barn, but very similar. I won't add the end walls immediately as I didn't buy that portion of the building. I will build my own end walls with overhead garage door and walk through door. I probably won't add any windows as they reduce security.
A Model 52.JPG interior1.JPG
You can see from this picture, that the free span provides an open area that without rafter or trusses interfering, you have clearance you just don't get with roof structures that have to be supported from within.

This is also not my order, but it is a similar pallet. This is how it is shipped, and mine was split onto two pallets, and it weighs 5,600 pounds. I also have another pallet for the industrial base plate connectors and hardware.
IMG_9855 (1).jpg
My building is 20' wide, by 44' long, by 18' high. And even though the straight sidewall is only about 11' tall, the building will easily allow a 14' high by 12' wide garage door on the end wall, as well as room for the walk thru door. And my coach is 12'10" high at including the a/c units and satellite dome, so with 17'10" inside clearance, I should have plenty of room to work on the roof even with it inside, without climbing thru rafters or trusses. With the coach sitting centered in the barn, I will have enough room to fully open the slides and compartment doors, and still get by the sides. And again, even though the side wall is shorter than the coach top height, the roof pitch and free span, allows more than enough clearance for even the slide extension without interference. My pad builder had to come back, take out more trees, and add more to the pad after a 4" rain. Here are a few pics of the pad as I progress...
IMG_9895.jpg
IMG_9898.jpg
IMG_9899.jpg
IMG_9871.jpg
Here is the layout on my lot...
Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 10.29.23 AM.png

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Subscribed! I have been waiting for that thread, awesome!

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Actually, 20' wide is enough to put them side by side, but I want to be able to open the slides.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mel,
These metal garages are very common in Florida. But most deed restricted properties or HOA's do not allow them. By deed restrictions I was forced to build my second garage out of like materials as the house. In the long run even though it cost a ton more money, I'm glad they forced me to spend it. It blends in very nicely and has greatly increased my homes value.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mel,
These metal garages are very common in Florida. But most deed restricted properties or HOA's do not allow them. By deed restrictions I was forced to build my second garage out of like materials as the house. In the long run even though it cost a ton more money, I'm glad they forced me to spend it. It blends in very nicely and has greatly increased my homes value.
Same here, but good to know the alternatives/possibilities. If you look at the first pic -- the trim could be just about anything! I'm sure you could trim w/siding or veneer all around, and the lack of rafters and trusses can be a huge plus.

--

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Its the benefit of living in a rural development boys. It is deed restricted and a POA (property owners association), with all the same restrictions you see in a HOA, except being country. We are allowed two large animals per acre, meaning horse or cattle, but not allowed swine, meaning hogs. Also allowed metal buildings with no restriction on those. If you were to look through their website, you would see they have a number of styles and I didn't look at all of them, but I do know they even have carports. Some neighborhoods will allow them and some won't. It is really a shame that some restrictions are placed that are strictly visual, because those structures can be very life limited. It is common that barns constructed of like materials, don't get the structural support necessary due to height and span, and they can fail with wind loads. So whatever you choose, be sure you have good engineering. I have to say that the galvalume won't be as attractive as painted metal, but it lasts a great deal longer...and out here, it will add much more value than I want it to I am sure!

The rental yard delivered a toy yesterday for me to use to unload the pallets containing my building today. A Genie forklift! I believe it is a model 5519? Genie calls it a compact tele handler...after I unload the truck, I may have to play with this thing a little. It has fully articulating front and rear steering, and can track laterally too...maybe need to show this to Yamaha and get it put into both the trailers and the boats! :winkingthumbsup" I'll get some pics of the unload I hope, and the pallets. I had them split my 5600 pound load into two pallets.
genie-gth-5519.jpg
I think I have seen a model similar to this used by "Johnny" on the TV show "Barnwood Builders". That guy is a surgeon with a tele handler!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Amazing machines with high utility. Very handy to have around. Just don't bury it. They are hard to pull out. From last winter.
WP_20160113_09_39_25_Pro.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Amazing machines with high utility. Very handy to have around. Just don't bury it. They are hard to pull out. From last winter.
View attachment 48868
:eek:Ouch! Your right, I just spent a couple hours using it to remove 20-30 old stumps in the lot! Who knew?:winkingthumbsup"

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I like that design. After driving jet planes for a living the forklift has to be easy. Good luck and more pics.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I got the pallets unloaded and into the barn this morning. That forklift made it a breeze!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The materials are all tucked away in the barn!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We've been looking at buying one of those just simply because you can put it on a trailer and pull behind a 2500.
Nice tractors but limited reach. We usually go higher than the machines go. Actually, we're bidding one where we need to crane all the material onto the hydraulic scaffold. should be cool if we get it, but we haven't ever gone more than 50 foot high so a little nervous.
In any case, I love seeing these barns go up! I keep re-drawing mine out and I like your idea.

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi Mel!! I've been so dang busy and I'm missing all of these great photos!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
RV barn updates! By foundation contractor stood me up, probably because he bid too cheap. Got two more bids and the price went up. The dang foundation is almost twice what the building is. At least the main huilding structure not counting end walls or additions such as wiring and insulation. The new contractor I am pleased with so far both knowledge and experience. They cut the pad down and set batter boards, laid it out, and marked piers.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
That was yesterday. Today, the pier truck showed up early.
image.jpeg
And this afternoon, the foundation crew is back with a 1/2 yard cart, steel, and the concrete was delivered for the piers.
image.jpeg
The cart is to keep a loaded cement mixer off my drive. They will pump the foundation when they do that in the next few days

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They are cutting the pad today so they can erect the forms for the deep wall beams. Lots of dirt and not too much space.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a little nervous about the passenger side view mirror on the RV ?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Ha Ha... @Scottintexas , are you talking about the ribbon tape on the mirror? Yes! It is hanging a little close for the big trucks backing down to do the dirt work and concrete. So I flagged it big time! I should have a 12' doorway and easy entrance to the barn once finished.