• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

txav8r's prelaunch through recovery checklist

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Well, those of you that know me...you know I use a checklist for a living. So I went through the DVD, the owners manual, and my own ideas and created a checklist that is pretty good as it is, but you can doctor it in Word to make it what best fits your needs. It can serve as a training tool to help you develop a good flow and create good habit patterns, or you can use it as designed to follow behind and make sure you remembered the transom drain plug, cleanout plugs, and for brmorganjr...THE BEER! Enjoy!
http://www.mediafire.com/view/qvo6n2qu29mcqmw/YAMAHA_SX230_CHECKLIST.doc

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I used these check list for my first outing ( first time boat owner) and they helped a ton. No stress for me as I read through the check list. I did skip the retrieving section and I had issues trying to load. If I would have read them I would have had no issues as my issue was I out the trailer in to deep. It clearly stated to have 3-4' of bunk out of the water. I had maybe 1'.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm glad it help you! Yeah, depth is a learned thing and hard to judge when backing in. Some guys use the "front of the fender exposed" method, others say "a few feet of bunks". But it will depend on your ramp angle and the height of the hitch off the ground at the bumper of your tow vehicle. Too shallow, you can't retrieve it, too deep and the boat is still floating. Some guys want to float it all the way on and crank the winch to retrieve, and that may be an issue on older boats and yours too, if the winch is too weak. Many guys went to the fulton F2 winch to alleviate that issue. I always powerloaded and loved the ease of doing so on the UBB's (ultimate bunk boards-HDPE bunks)...but they still scuff the bottom of the boat, just like carpeted bunks.

That checklist will prep you pretty good for what to do and when to do it. It will become second hand and you can use the list to back yourself up, instead of a list to work from. Congrats and good luck with the new boat and don't forget to smile!

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
@txav8r won't forget to smile. This is what I needed for the family. Get everyone away from the electronics and get outside and enjoy each other. Yes it was stressful a bit at first on the first day. But we all smiled and enjoyed the day out. I'm now looking at my schedule and 10 day forecast each morning so I can plan my next trip :)

My wife who never drives my truck actual parked it with the trailer. She was impressed that she could do that. Now we need warmer weather so we can get in the water.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You both will gain skills you didn't know you had! Owning a boat is an incredible adventure, and you have a really great boat there. The old saying...the best two days of boat ownership, the day you get it, and the day you sell it...don't believe it. I sold mine last August and have regretted it from almost that very day. Yamahas are great for many reasons, many of which are reliability, quality, ease of owner maintenance, cost of owner maintenance, ease of winterization, value for the dollar, resale value, popularity and demand at resale, and last but not least...this group of members that give their time and experience to you for free! It is like having a maintenance tech in a spare bedroom! You guys will love the boat and every outing, you will gain knowledge and experience...and in a few short trips, you will be posting info here that helps the next guy looking to buy a boat! So you and your wife enjoy, and have her join the forum under her own name...we have a few active wives on the forum and they contribute so much to the other venetians:playful: here as well as giving that angle to us guys. All of that helps others and were glad your here!

Detonate

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, that is a crazy detailed list.

I've often thought about creating some kind of checklist. Especially for when I put the boat on the trailer after a long day on the lake. I've definitely lost 2 stern lights by forgetting to put it away before driving home.

My thing is coming up with a list that is reasonable enough that I'd actually use.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
That list was created by an anal retentive noob. While some of us are no longer noobs...that list was helpful following a few short lived "disasters" as a new yammi owner. Forgot to remove the transom straps, forgot to install the cleanout plugs, forgot to remove the cleanout plugs after use, etc. And that was in the first two outings! After that, I had read more of the owners manual, watched the dvd again several times, and discovered I wasn't alone in having this happen to me. So the checklist was born. I would say it has been an overwhelming help to many. Because it was downloaded hundreds of times, if not thousands over at yjb and expect it will be here at jetboaters too. It is created in word, so you can shorten it, lengthen it, or add to it where necessary. Here is a modified page I did for @Brmorganjr , because once I forgot something, and he suggested I add it to the checklist. This is just an example of how you can modify to help you...

YAMAHA SX230 CHECKLIST

REVISED 7/17/09

BEFORE GARAGE REMOVAL

BEER-------------------------------------------- Verify cold beer is installed.

ICE----------------------------------------------- Verify ice is covering beer.

KEYS-------------------------------------------- Verify all keys are available.

KILL SWITCH LANYARD----------------- Verify onboard and installed.

BATTERY CHARGE CABLE -------------- Un-couple battery charge coupling.

EXTENDED EXCURSION ------------------ Stow charger and extension cord in boat.

AREA AROUND BOAT --------------------- Remove boarding stool and assure area clear.

TRAILER HITCH LOCK -------------------- Remove and place in truck.

bgood188

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Wow, that is a crazy detailed list.

I've often thought about creating some kind of checklist. Especially for when I put the boat on the trailer after a long day on the lake. I've definitely lost 2 stern lights by forgetting to put it away before driving home.

My thing is coming up with a list that is reasonable enough that I'd actually use.
I downloaded the the checklist and modified to meet my needs. So, you can make it your own and not have the 132 steps Mel lays out. But for a noob it's a great place to start!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a checklist for heading to the marina! Guess what is Number one and in BIG BOLD CAPS?????

Don't forget to take the BOAT KEYS you numskull!

I may take list though, and modify it for my own, and laminate it....we all have our own niche Items....mine..."Get Portable XM Onyx Radio from Living room"

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mel,
I used your list combined with my own from years on a I/O. Now it has become second nature for me.....Thanks Mel!!!!:winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The good thing is, it is broken down into phases of operation. So you don't get more than a handful of checks during each phase. And if your checking everything you need to, there are checks in every phase, every new day of operation. Now if I am out for the day, starting and stopping, I am not removing plugs and checking oil before every departure. Some stuff is common sense.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And one that is easy to follow after a long day of ...ummm... refreshment on the lake :rolleyes:

You wouldn't think "raise the anchor" would be necessary on a checklist, but...:oops:

Cory

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm on my third anchor:asshat:

Magic

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just have the FO take care of that..... :cool:

FO: "Hey, do you want me to get the preflight exterior?"
ME: "No, why don't YOU get that...."

C'mon man, right out of "Airplane!"

Best expression from an FO ever....lol!

Great checklist(s) Mel!:winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And one that is easy to follow after a long day of ...ummm... refreshment on the lake :rolleyes:

You wouldn't think "raise the anchor" would be necessary on a checklist, but...:oops:
Raise the anchor isn't necessary on the list, never forgot that...BUT...I do pull the heavy box up, hang it at about 10' deep, and run at no wake speed for 2-3 minutes. I have forgotten it after that! One would wonder how you could do that! :banghead:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

JimG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@txav8r --

Just downloaded your checklist -- it is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I've threw my favorite anchor out of the boat without a rope attached! I guess you could put that on a checklist. I also forgot to put the trailer tongue swing away pin back in and got rear ended by the trailer when I stopped.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your not alone @scokill ... I did the same thing with my first box anchor, and that is what prompted me to make one that fit in the anchor locker that I didn't have to hook/unhook! BTW, you guys can open that checklist in Word, and edit it to say anything... @Brmorganjr told me every other line should be "install beer and ice"! I have forgotten ice before too, but I never forget the wine! I do think if your going to use it for all phases, adding the anchor to it would be a good add. Remember, a checklist isn't a "do" list. It is to use after you have set everything up to make sure you..."set everything up correctly"! So you use the checklist to cover your ASS! That said, a good checklist creates discipline and a "flow" to what you do, and that then creates good habit patterns. So that the checklist does become a checklist. Granted, in the beginning, you will use it more as a do list but your just setting good habits at that point. The checklist was always intended to be able to be modified to suit your own needs and way you boat. Thanks for continuing to use it and suggest improvements!

Brmorganjr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey that's some of the best advise I've ever given!!!