• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

UGH - certified Yamaha shop just told me Starboard MR1 needs replaced - advice?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Took a "new to me" 2008 212x to a certified Yamaha shop for some repairs and to investigate some things I wanted looked at. He just called and said they've found no compression in cylinder 4 in the Starboard engine. Says it's in bad shape and they can't repair/rebuild it. New engine is $10-12K - might be able to find a reconditioned model "from Florida" for around $5K (but no warranty). Just bought the boat from Georgia (I'm in Ohio) last February for $26,500. Mind you - the boat seemingly to me, runs fine and is fast. I haven't noticed any power difference or RPM output difference in the engines while running at any speed (low or high). I'm just shocked.... Any advice? Questions I should ask to shop, suggestions, etc. You're all my best resource, thank you.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't let them touch it further . Go run it yourself in the water. Purchase your own compression gauge, and validate the compression reading. might just be a few PSI off.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Took a "new to me" 2008 212x to a certified Yamaha shop for some repairs and to investigate some things I wanted looked at. He just called and said they've found no compression in cylinder 4 in the Starboard engine. Says it's in bad shape and they can't repair/rebuild it. New engine is $10-12K - might be able to find a reconditioned model "from Florida" for around $5K (but no warranty). Just bought the boat from Georgia (I'm in Ohio) last February for $26,500. Mind you - the boat seemingly to me, runs fine and is fast. I haven't noticed any power difference or RPM output difference in the engines while running at any speed (low or high). I'm just shocked.... Any advice? Questions I should ask to shop, suggestions, etc. You're all my best resource, thank you.
Where in Ohio are you located?

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Shoot. Was hoping for Columbus so I could help out.
Appreciate the thought. Perhaps I could still connect with you depending on how this continues to shake out (?)

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Appreciate the thought. Perhaps I could still connect with you depending on how this continues to shake out (?)
Yes. Go for @Beachbummer suggestions first and see from there.

Do you know what your RPMs are at wide open throttle for each engine?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending how the compression test is run you might get really numbers and not reflective of reality. I don’t suspect that the Yamaha certified owner is incompetent but the easiest test is to go out and run wide open throttle. Write down RPM for each engine then one on idle and then the other WOT and record RPM and compare to previous numbers. Also if you get get on plane with one e gone idle and the other WOT then I say you have plenty of power for water sports and cruising in fresh water.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Yes. Go for @Beachbummer suggestions first and see from there.

Do you know what your RPMs are at wide open throttle for each engine?
Wide open..... wow; I don't recall exactly, but I want to say around 9K. I remember cruising with each at about 7,200 and both engines running very smooth and comfortably. Almost like they settle down and want to run at those RPMS.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Don't let them touch it further . Go run it yourself in the water. Purchase your own compression gauge, and validate the compression reading. might just be a few PSI off.
He's telling me cylinder 4 has zero compression. Says there's spark, and the engine starts up (obviously), but zero reading on compression for cylinder 4. Doesn't make sense to me given that we've been using the boat all season up until I pulled it out of the wet slip to take it to them to investigate and remedy other issues.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think you would have noticed if one of your pistons was just dead weight on your boat. The engine would be out of balance and I cannot imagine you thinking the boat is running smooth

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If it was running strong, I would not discount operator error on testing. Don't sweat it yet.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Agree with the above....test the compression yourself.

To tell you a cylinder has zero compression, and that they need to replace the whole engine without any further information is strange. Stranger still that you didn't take it in for an engine issue (seemingly), and they are testing compression on your engines is another red flag to me.....I'd get that boat back ASAP. (and tell us who this dealer/repair place is!)

Not saying they are wrong....just strange. What did you have it in for?

Also, if it IS indeed running fine....then I'd run it til it doesn't run fine!

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Agree with the above....test the compression yourself.

To tell you a cylinder has zero compression, and that they need to replace the whole engine without any further information is strange. Stranger still that you didn't take it in for an engine issue (seemingly), and they are testing compression on your engines is another red flag to me.....I'd get that boat back ASAP. (and tell us who this dealer/repair place is!)

Not saying they are wrong....just strange. What did you have it in for?

Also, if it IS indeed running fine....then I'd run it til it doesn't run fine!
Among other smaller items (scupper replacement, ballast bag repair, bilge float switch install, battery switch install, etc.) - I wanted them to investigate why the No Wake Mode wasn't working, and if there was a mechanical issue related to the throttle. I have a very hard time making subtle adjustments to speed. The boat wants to go from 3000 rpms to 7000 with just a small move on the throttle. "Feathering" the speed is very hard, and makes it challenging moving around the docks. I'm a jet boat newbie, granted, and I'm learning - but controlling the speed is harder than mastering the steering in and of itself.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...I have the same boat. You should be getting 10,000 rpm at WOT.
That throttle description does sound a bit odd. The throttle input is not linear with performance, but yours seems to be out more than usual.
No Wake is probably just the contacts on the switch needing to be cleaned. Sometimes if you press and kinda grind the switch it will make contact and operate correctly. If you have the YDS you can watch the stepper respond on your computer screen.
Worse case is you would have to find a Yamaha FX waverunner and pull the engine out. We are here to help with your adventure.

netcourt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Here's an update after conversations I had today:
- I didn't notice any difference in RPMs or performance between the two engines because BOTH had cylinders not firing. The Port side was due to a bad spark plug. The Starboard side is due to the rust/corrosion, etc. of one cylinder.
- The corrosion/rust in cylinder 4 seems to be isolated to just that cylinder. The others on the Starboard engine have good compression and are in good shape. (How is that possible??)
- Tech said that somehow water got inside that cylinder causing the problem. If that's true - then wouldn't water then also make it's way to the other cylinders? Wouldn't it cause significant performance otherwise? The engine still starts right up and seeming was running fine despite one piston not firing.
- The tech/shop haven't taken the entire head off the engine yet to see the extent of the rusty cylinder. Said it's about 4 hours of labor to do so. For now, they're going to stick a scope camera down through to see what they can see using the scope. Hope to NOT see gouges or damage to the cylinder wall.
- Can the cylinder be rebuilt if the rust can be cleaned up and seals, etc replaced? Can these be rebored or re-lined and rebuilt? Trying to think of alternatives.
- Talked with outfit I bought the boat from in Georgia. They will do nothing - said the sale was "as is." Still - they said the shop that serviced the boat from the original owner before they put it up for sale "would have" caught anything that significant. Not sure about that at this point.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Again the suggestion that members have made was to get the boat do your own compression test . the piston is aluminum the cylinder walls would have any rust scraped off from the boat running the head is aluminum. What rusted the spark plug tip ? Do you know if the motor revved up close to 10k ?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My friend had his mr1 exhaust manifold breach and let enough water in the cylinder to turn the oil milky a few times as we tried to figure out what was going on . It was fixed and the cylinder had no issues or rust and we boat in salt water. You could have a valve stuck open and the piston hit it.