• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Underwater LEDs

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Guys, has anyone used this website for Underwater lights? Www.boatpluglight.com
I want to get 2 underwater lights for my boat but I dont know whether to do the drain plug lights or if you guys think its a bad idea (it worries me a little) any other suggestions if you have would be awesome! I want to do blue LEDs on both sides of the outdrive. IMG_3486.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the plug mods are a cheap way to get a little bit of light. Some of the more expensive plug lights, like the diablo, are almost as much as the permanent mount lights. And the permanent mounts, like Abyss, shadow caster, oceans, while expensive, can be found pretty reasonable when you consider the competition selling vastly inferior products that will only fail. The issue I have with the Diablo Royal product, is that it is big and while it is a good illuminator, it is hanging off the boat and just subject to causing a bad failure IMO. And again, if your going to spend that much money, why not get a good light that is installed in a way that protects not only it but you, your kids, and your boat. We just lost a member as he passed, RIP MikeyL...he was a supporter of the Diablo Royal. I think what he liked most about it was that it was a quality LED chip, a CREE fixture. But the housing and how it is mounted is just as important IMO. Your mileage may vary. A bunch of the issue is the mounting surface. Some guys don't want to take the time to mount it correctly. You simply must fashion a King Starboard bezel if the surface is not flat. But making a bezel isn't as hard as it sounds and some companies can get you started with one to mate to the light, and then you can get the curve correct on the starboard by fixing some sand paper to the transom and just working the bezel back and forth across the paper. That will gradually fit the bezel to the curve. Then just remove the paper and set the bezel and light. Anyway, hope this helps and you may have a flat surface back there anyway!

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@txav8r you're absolutely right. Im looking at the OceanLED A6 and the XP4 and the other one I looked at is the Piranha P3. Any suggestion between those? I like how small the P3 is but I hope its bright enough. I also just saw the Oceanled A4 extreme and A8 extreme have good reviews online

Last edited:

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I actually purchased 2 of the drain plug lights, I have not been able to install them on my boat yet, but should have them in by next week. I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of the drain ligth itself.
For the price and quality, you can't go wrong ($60 each). But depending of what type of drain you currently have in your boat, you need to have a 1/2 gardboard drain plug. I posted pictures of the Led lights and conversion of the plastic drain plugs to gardboard plugs in my boat.
I will post pictures of the lights in action once I install them.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/drain-plug-led-diablo-royal.7833/

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Really thinking about getting 2 of the Bluefin Piranha P3's, 1100 lumens each for $215 each.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put 3 Seablaze x on my transom and I couldn't be happier. I don't have any pics handy right now but I don't think you can go wrong with them. I did do the king starboard base for them. It took some elbow grease to get it shaped to the transom but I'm happy with the outcome. I got a pretty good deal on them last Christmas through Amazon lightening deals. They are the 2 color white and blue. The worst part is getting up the nerve to drill all the holes to mount them! :happy:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Mark , most guys have that phobia about drilling holes. Once you drill one, your good at drilling them! and the phobia goes away. Eventually, everyone will drill at least one hole, maybe not a 10" subwoofer hole, but something of size to make you measure twice and cut once...in my case, it is measure 216 times, worry about placement for 3 weeks, and study it another few days, then get cutting!:winkingthumbsup"

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r I know exactly what you mean. I got the lights for Christmas last year and I didn't drill the first hole till May!:) I think I asked 7 or 8 people their opinion about it just here local to me. Even considered taking it to a shop to have it done.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry to hijack this thread so I will get it back on track. @DJMattyT I don't see where your drain plug is on your boat. Will it shine out where you want it if you go that route? Or will it be blocked by the jet drive? That's an awesome looking boat by the way! Also what does that say under the cover?

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry to hijack this thread so I will get it back on track. @DJMattyT I don't see where your drain plug is on your boat. Will it shine out where you want it if you go that route? Or will it be blocked by the jet drive? That's an awesome looking boat by the way! Also what does that say under the cover?
I am not going to do the drain plug light, I want to get 2x Bluefin P3's or P6's. I dont know which one to get yet, might just do the P3's. The sticker said "Financial Mistake" haha but I took it off when I got my sound system redone, I had to put the Wetsounds logo there lol

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@DJMattyT sounds like you have a plan! Jump in with both feet and get'r done!
And just my opinion it's not a financial mistake, boating could never be a mistake. Can it? :D

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@DJMattyT sounds like you have a plan! Jump in with both feet and get'r done!
And just my opinion it's not a financial mistake, boating could never be a mistake. Can it? :D
Thought it was a funny saying for someone who had to spend $10K 2 months into owning a new boat on a jetdock because Scarab thought it could stay in the water when it actually couldn't. But I love the boat so I had to take the sticker off

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mark Hey Mark, wondering if you had pics of your finished product? Were 2 of the SeaBlazeX's enough? Any and all details would be appreciated. Trying to decide on SeaBlazeX and BoatPlugLight.com's offerings?

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman I do have some pics. I will have to find them. I went with 3 of them and couldn't be happier. I got the ones that are both blue and white. I used kings starboard behind them to get the angle of the lights up, and to match the curve of the transom. Used sandpaper to finish th curve of the starboard. I am fortunate to have an endmill where I work and was able to cut most of the shape with it.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I don't I will take more when I get home.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome! Yeah I'd love to see them if you happen to dig up a couple of pictures. Do you think you could get away with 2 or 3 is def the way to go? $1,000 on lights is a hard pill for me to swallow. I just don't want to spend $300 on subpar results, drill holes and end up wishing I had gone with the real deal off the bat.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg I think 3 is definitely the way to go. I got lucky and got them off Amazon a couple years ago around Christmas time and someone had them on sale for around $250 each. So I jumped on them! Here are the pics. The light in the water is in real clouded water and I'm pretty sure that is both blue and white on at the same time.image.jpegimage.jpeg

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah that looks awesome! Looks like you molded the plastic so the light still shined down a little. If you had it to do over again, would you change the angle? Also what about the height? How did you determine that? Thanks again for all the info!

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know if I would change the angle any. I use them for fishing as much as for looks. I think if you could angle them up some more the light should spread out behind the boat better! The height was based on 1/2 inch kings starboard. If that is what you are asking. As for height on transom I just put them as low as possible to get as little curve as possible. To make mounting them easier.

Mark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's hard to see but the lights on the sides are as low as I could go and still get them in the corner.