• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Underwater lights are illegal?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I was going to go with 2 seablaze RGB lights for the transom. I was talking to some folks about the install and they said, you know they are illegal right? I get it after the explanation, only lights that are allowed are anchor and nav lights. I also heard they are tough on that infraction where I boat (Irondequoit bay/lake ontario).

With that, I might skip the underwater lights. Anyone here been pulled over because of illegal lights?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Check your state laws on usage, honestly. Most of the time you're good to use them while stationary, but not when moving.
This... pretty much any lighting is legal while stationary. Moving is a whole different story,

4ukwildcata

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe the guy with the Coast Guard will chime in, but my understanding is that it is illegal when you are "underway". Therefore, you should be ok if stationary.... unless there is a state law

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

4ukwildcata

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Meanwhile, if you pay enough taxes you can run whatever light you want. Uncle Sam got your back[flag]
View attachment 157567
LOL.... but you might be surprised how little a cruise line pays considering their revenue is based on ships that are registered in Norway, Greece, etc.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It just occurred to me that one might have more problems with speaker lights than underwater lights. I can make my speakers flash in colors that I shouldn't be running at night. Have to remember to shut that off while at speed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So I was going to go with 2 seablaze RGB lights for the transom. I was talking to some folks about the install and they said, you know they are illegal right? I get it after the explanation, only lights that are allowed are anchor and nav lights. I also heard they are tough on that infraction where I boat (Irondequoit bay/lake ontario).

With that, I might skip the underwater lights. Anyone here been pulled over because of illegal lights?
Agree with the other replies.....the illegal part really only applies to when you are moving. Heck....docking lights are illegal when underway...but tons of boats have them. As long as you prime reason for them is to have them on while stationary I doubt you'll have any issues.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Agree with the other replies.....the illegal part really only applies to when you are moving. Heck....docking lights are illegal when underway...but tons of boats have them. As long as you prime reason for them is to have them on while stationary I doubt you'll have any issues.
My main boat ramp has a few hundred yards of straight away into the ramp. At night time I flip on the dock lights to see the markers all the way down. Probably illegal but man does it make for a smooth end to the night.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lights that can be confused with other lights are prohibited, regardless of movement.

Rule 20
The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise,
and during such times, no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights
as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair
their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a
proper lookout.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

If you want underwater lights, go for it. Just be aware not to use them when operating the boat.

As mentioned, underwater lights would be fine when docked, moored, or anchored. Sames goes for flashing lights on your speakers as they should not cause navigation issues. The only lights that should be visible outside the boat during operation are navigation lights - red/green and white to indicate directional motion to other traffic. White docking lights are not to be used while navigating but are allowed when approaching docks for increased visibility in and around the docks as they increase safety while docking.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Funny you mention florida, the guy I talked to lives in rochester during the summer and ft lauderdale during the winter. He said they don't say anything about his lights in FL, rochester, different story.

johhnyboat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It really is from place to place. The navigational boating language says that you can't have any boating lights that can be MISTAKEN for navigational lights. I don't know how blue underwater LED lights can be mistaken for navigational lights. In Maryland you don't get bothered, BUT if you are out late and had a few beers, it really just gives the DNR a reason to pull you over for a "safety inspection".

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not sure the fish appreciate all that at night :p
In MN, if you have a line in the water, those underwater lights are illegal stationary as well. It's a "loose" law for sure as the local LEO's are hardly out at night unless there is a holiday or organized water event going on.

But the laws do exist. And the Tritoon on our dock is nicknamed the "blue light special" for a reason. Those lights running the length of the boat and underwater lights are on many in our area, and they all run them at night although totally illegal. At least they are not as obnoxious as the guys running our bay with their docking lights on, or a white light bar pointed forward.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe it is pretty much a local or state ruling outside of the normal law not to use while underway. I know in Arizona underwater lights are okay as long as they are not blue or red because those are the colors of the law enforcement lights. In New Mexico, they don't care.