• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrade to JL M770s - phase 4

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had just come to finish up phase 3 of my audio upgrade in March when I opted to go in another direction to up the ante and get max sound out of my system.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/2017-ar240-full-jl-audio-upgrade-phase-2.16855/

Short story, but after pondering going from 6.5s to 7.7s once it was confirmed they fit, I contact JL support and my installer and asked about the diff between MX650s and MX770s and if I would notice a diff and they both suggested I swing big and upgrade all 8 speakers to JL M770s. I then connected with Odin at earmark and he set me up with 4 pair of the M770s and a second 800/8. I only took a few pics this weekend and it's still only being pushed by my single 800/8 BUT....its is loud as hell....so loud that I contemplated having the second 800/8 installed...but its already paid for so it's going in right after memorial day, which will push each speaker on my boat with 200rms from bridging all the channels to the M770s and M880 towers.

Found a starboard speaker ring online for the bow since they wouldnt fit due to depth.

It is very loud and crystal clear....I haven't pushed them yet, maybe 75-80% volume but when I get the other 800/8 installed its gonna sound insane going from 75rms to 200rms.

Will post pics of the install of the 2nd 800/8 which brings me to 4 amps so I will also be monitoring my batteries and likely have my installer wire up the jumpers for a 3rd battery so if there are any low battery signals I can just swap in 3 new ones.

20180519_182203.jpg 20180519_163749.jpg 20180519_163801.jpg 20180519_181837.jpg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The polks are solid, so I can see why you might hesitate.

I've heard both...my buddy runs the polks based off my recommendation from a year or so back. I think for the money you prob cant beat them...that said JLs are VERY nice...and I'm no fanboy but you cant loose if you decide to move to JL.

@Julian What's got you thinking of switching vs just staying with the polks?

Through all my research I've learned in addition to Jl, Fusion, and Alpine make 7in+ speakers...would have thrown that out but for you wanting to stay with 6.5s...guess MX650s are in you future. What would you power them with?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The polks are solid, so I can see why you might hesitate.

I've heard both...my buddy runs the polks based off my recommendation from a year or so back. I think for the money you prob cant beat them...that said JLs are VERY nice...and I'm no fanboy but you cant loose if you decide to move to JL.

@Julian What's got you thinking of switching vs just staying with the polks?

Through all my research I've learned in addition to Jl, Fusion, and Alpine make 7in+ speakers...would have thrown that out but for you wanting to stay with 6.5s...guess MX650s are in you future. What would you power them with?
I have both in my boat. JLs at the helm and Polks everywhere else (except the wetsounds sound bar). The JLs are louder, clearer with more punch to them. I have 3 amps in my boat, the 2 stock Polk amps and a Wetsounds HT-4 (it is powering the wetsounds bar and the JLs)

Lauenroth

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had just come to finish up phase 3 of my audio upgrade in March when I opted to go in another direction to up the ante and get max sound out of my system.

Short story, but after pondering going from 6.5s to 7.7s once it was confirmed they fit, I contact JL support and my installer and asked about the diff between MX650s and MX770s and if I would notice a diff and they both suggested I swing big and upgrade all 8 speakers to JL M770s. I then connected with Odin at earmark and he set me up with 4 pair of the M770s and a second 800/8. I only took a few pics this weekend and it's still only being pushed by my single 800/8 BUT....its is loud as hell....so loud that I contemplated having the second 800/8 installed...but its already paid for so it's going in right after memorial day, which will push each speaker on my boat with 200rms from bridging all the channels to the M770s and M880 towers.

Found a starboard speaker ring online for the bow since they wouldnt fit due to depth.

It is very loud and crystal clear....I haven't pushed them yet, maybe 75-80% volume but when I get the other 800/8 installed its gonna sound insane going from 75rms to 200rms.

Will post pics of the install of the 2nd 800/8 which brings me to 4 amps so I will also be monitoring my batteries and likely have my installer wire up the jumpers for a 3rd battery so if there are any low battery signals I can just swap in 3 new ones.

View attachment 74810 View attachment 74812 View attachment 74813 View attachment 74814
Do you have a link for the speaker rings. Thanks

View attachment 74810 View attachment 74812 View attachment 74813 View attachment 74814

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you Google JL 7.7 speaker rings and find GS creations you should be able to find them. Think their like 90 bucks plus shipping.

I spoke with who I believe was the owner and he was nice enough to locate the last set of spacers in black that was 3/4...if not for that there is a 1-2 week backlog when I called if they have to make them as they are busy now...like most other for boat season.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian would you just swap out the other 6 speakers for the JL...power them with current amps?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey Jaylex,
So what amps are you running rt now.
Your system sounds great already last time I heard it at Havasu

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good seeing you @Lion

Right now I'm running 3 amps, 1000/1 on the 2 subs, using 4 channels of a 600/6 for the towers and the 800/8 is pushing the M770s.

I just got to play with them over the weekend and they are loud, so I cant wait to see what the differences sounds like going from 75rms to 200rms each speaker.

Should have the boat back in the shop in the next week or so to get the other 800/8 added which will bring me to 4 amps, bridging the two 800/8s so each M770 speaker gets 200rms each.

Likely will keep the batteries as long as they hold up, might need to add a 3rd house battery if there are any negative impacts.

Will also have him do the DVSR mod with a switch so I can run all the batteries in parallel to get max run-time and still be able to use my dual bank charger to charge them separately.

Once he's got it started he usually sends me pics so I will post them then.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ooo I'm really disliking you right now. Lol. You make me want to upgrade to those speakers really really bad. Especially if they fit without enlarging the existing hole. Problem is I don't know if I want to get more amps to power them. I can put 150 watts to each right now, but 200 sure does sound really really nice. Hmmm maybe another winter project here. Thanks for the info

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive been going back and forth on the second set of towers, but also wanted more output in the boat, so this solves both issues in most ways.

Even on the single 800/8 and only getting 75rms these things are insanely loud....I DONT NEED to install the other 800/8, and really if I hadnt bought it already I dont think I really need it, but Odin hooked it up and others convinced me the additional wattage would make a noticable diff.

I should have it installed in the next couple weeks, just ordering some final distro blocks and such as I think Im going to split off my 0 guage into 2 runs for the power.

But I can WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend these speakers, I read the reviews and they are indeed badass....even Odin said they were prob the best sounding speakers on the market with the right wattage....I am not disappointed.

I think you should def consider it, and the 150w your throwing them would be double what Im sending mine now and as I mentioned they are stupid loud. Funny thing was I inquired on swapping out to the HD600, but then JL suggested bridging two 800/8s...Ive never heard a coax speaker with 200rms.

And for what its worth...on at least two occasions during Memorial weekend I was asked to lower the volume when it was only around 85% by people on MY boat....was not the case before....I LOVE IT!!!

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive been going back and forth on the second set of towers, but also wanted more output in the boat, so this solves both issues in most ways.

Even on the single 800/8 and only getting 75rms these things are insanely loud....I DONT NEED to install the other 800/8, and really if I hadnt bought it already I dont think I really need it, but Odin hooked it up and others convinced me the additional wattage would make a noticable diff.

I should have it installed in the next couple weeks, just ordering some final distro blocks and such as I think Im going to split off my 0 guage into 2 runs for the power.

But I can WHOLEHEARTEDLY recommend these speakers, I read the reviews and they are indeed badass....even Odin said they were prob the best sounding speakers on the market with the right wattage....I am not disappointed.

I think you should def consider it, and the 150w your throwing them would be double what Im sending mine now and as I mentioned they are stupid loud. Funny thing was I inquired on swapping out to the HD600, but then JL suggested bridging two 800/8s...Ive never heard a coax speaker with 200rms.

And for what its worth...on at least two occasions during Memorial weekend I was asked to lower the volume when it was only around 85% by people on MY boat....was not the case before....I LOVE IT!!!
Very nice. Sounds like great speakers. Yes I will def consider them in the offseason. I just bought new speakers in the winter time so will run them for this current season. I have the HD600 running my interiors now and will probably use that to power the M7s

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good seeing you @Lion

Right now I'm running 3 amps, 1000/1 on the 2 subs, using 4 channels of a 600/6 for the towers and the 800/8 is pushing the M770s.

I just got to play with them over the weekend and they are loud, so I cant wait to see what the differences sounds like going from 75rms to 200rms each speaker.

Should have the boat back in the shop in the next week or so to get the other 800/8 added which will bring me to 4 amps, bridging the two 800/8s so each M770 speaker gets 200rms each.

Likely will keep the batteries as long as they hold up, might need to add a 3rd house battery if there are any negative impacts.

Will also have him do the DVSR mod with a switch so I can run all the batteries in parallel to get max run-time and still be able to use my dual bank charger to charge them separately.

Once he's got it started he usually sends me pics so I will post them then.
Fuck it i give up lol

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol....that how it starts....hell, I was done with my music on Phase 2...Im now working through Phase 4, so I def have uttered those same words as well @Drift Away

My Fiance has essentially capped any future audio projects (until after the wedding, lol), so this is it...need to fig out how to use the last two channels of the 600/6 but then Im done.

Just need the push button start mod, and my LED tower lights and Im a happy Captain!

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Hey Jaylex

Is the shop you take your boat to In Havasu?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, it is....its called Car Toyz, and they do great work AND stock full equipment for all of the major brands, JL, WS, Kicker, etc

The installer (Scott) was very knowledgeable and worked around my vision with some suggestions of his own.

He will be doing the install on the last amp in the next couple weeks and then I will post pics.

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaylex did you ever get your second amp installed and if so do you have any pictures? I'm on the fence about upgrading my 2017 21 limited S with the 7.7's?

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still haven't, but hopefully in the next few weeks.

What are you on the fence on....sound, size, location, price...

I guess it depends on what your looking to accomplish.

I'd say there's two diff ways to look at this....moving from 6.5s to 7.7s are one thing...moving from MX to M series is a COMPLETELY diff thing....add to that using a single 800/8 to give them each 75 rms is one thing, but adding a second 800/8 to give each 200 rms which is nearly 3 times the power should EXTREMELY loud when cranked.

I though you NEEDED to give the M770s more than the 75rms, BUT you dont HAVE to...they are very efficient and play clear and crisp. Had Odin not given me a killer deal on the package I dont think I would be pressed to get a 2nd 800/8...for now,lol

Hope that helps...2 big thumbs up for the M770s...if you can do it...you won't be disappointed.