• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

upgraded speakers & amp

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gents,
I just bought (6) JL M3 6.5s and a JL M600 amp. I'm looking to install myself, but I don't know what I need other than 4 gauge wire for the amp. I have a 2017 212 ls. Is there a video or lik with this info? Thanks for any help!!!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Ton's of info here. I hope you like reading. :winkingthumbsup"

1586455850805.png

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ha! @Dean P is a card for that one. Seriously, there are reams of info about the different setups.

I did mine in phases. First phase: replace the existing POS speakers with real ones. Very simple. Four screws on the speakers, a little wiring, and four screws to screw the new ones back in.

Second phase: the amp: Plan out a good spot. Use that search function to see where others have put theirs. I put mine in the helm compartment, forward side, against the back of the forward passenger seat ahead of the helm. Others have put in other places. Some mount on boards; some mount to the hull. But I would say the biggest point is planning and thinking through it all before you start. Are you good with the wire runs involved (if any)?

For long runs, I use a fiberglass rod setup. I have it from my electrical line running days. Very handy for the boat. But depending on where you want the amps and whether you are running power or speaker or line line, you may or may not need the ability to push wire.

Third phase: the 5th and 6th speakers: most put this mid-cockpit, but I suppose your mileage may vary. Pick a good spot after you read all of the search results, make a plan, then execute on it. There is really no 'right' answer here--just lots of pros and cons. The search function will help you with that.

Once you have a plan, please do float it by us. We love to help.

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thank you @tdonoughue ! I have 6 stock speakers, but I'll replace with 6 JL. I think that will be the easy part, although, it sounds like I'll have to drill some, as the stock speakers have 4 screws and the JL have 6. Not sure where to put the amp yet (see attached photos). My dealer gave me the following list of needed parts; 4 gauge wire, 6 cable lugs, breaker or fuse for the power cable, blue 16 gauge wire along with connectors and RCA cables, in addition to misc stuff like zip ties, etc.
I've been searching on this site and there is a ton of info. I'll have to sort through it all. If you have any further advise please let me know. Thanks again.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, there are lots of good writeups on sound systems on here (I think I have authored a couple--probably not the good ones!). I put my amp on the other wall across from your photos (off to the left in the photos--on the other side of the front seat).

The speaker replacement is really easy. Even with only mounting holes--those are just little holes. :) A great place to start and you will be really impressed with the results--at least I was. Your parts list looks right (I think I went with 2 gauge wire for the power, but I was probably being overly conservative). I used the stock speaker wire in the boat. So the only real wiring runs are back to the battery for power. And with that size cable, I found I was able to just push it through. Very easy. Not a hard job, but several little steps that can take a while.

Do post updates. We like pics.

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
still not sure if I'm gonna do it myself or pay someone (found a local guy who has his own mobile marine business) either way I'll post pics/video. thanks for your advice!

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, there are lots of good writeups on sound systems on here (I think I have authored a couple--probably not the good ones!). I put my amp on the other wall across from your photos (off to the left in the photos--on the other side of the front seat).

The speaker replacement is really easy. Even with only mounting holes--those are just little holes. :) A great place to start and you will be really impressed with the results--at least I was. Your parts list looks right (I think I went with 2 gauge wire for the power, but I was probably being overly conservative). I used the stock speaker wire in the boat. So the only real wiring runs are back to the battery for power. And with that size cable, I found I was able to just push it through. Very easy. Not a hard job, but several little steps that can take a while.

Do post updates. We like pics.
Do you know the location of the “rigging tube?”

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not certain, but I think you are referring to that corrugated black plastic tube that they put around wires... Frequently those are slit and put on after the fact (not always). But their function is to keep the wires together and keep them from rubbing damage (against a hull or through a fitting).

But to your question: Not on your boat (mine is a 2012). But I would expect they are easy to spot... When I was wiring, I would use them when available, that is, already there and going where I wanted, at least in part (and I would not use them when they were not already there...).

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Project complete. Thanks to all who chimed in. Can’t attach the video but it’s loud!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pics! Pics are required!!!

Jeff L

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Still have to clean things up a little with zips, but here you go. Wish i could upload the video. I ended up running new wire to each speaker, it was pretty simple.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Purdy! Well done, indeed!

Josh Harper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where did you get the poly/plastic board you mounted the amp too?

Josh Harper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question.. do you all have to run a ground from the battery for your amp or is there a bus Bar under the helm from factory?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No bus bar... But adding one is relatively cheap ($15?) and very useful.

Bubbjr7

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Jeff L, did you replace the swim deck 5.25" with the 6.5" jl's? Wondering how they fit. Also, where did you grab the REM and RCA connections for the amp? I've read lots about members connecting behind the swim deck unit and others connecting behind the helm. I also have an 18 212 Ls and I'm looking to upgrade audio and would like to get my wiring order in now.