• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgrading to coiled 7 pin trailer connector

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Years ago I grew tired of using a 5 pin to 7 pin adapter every time I hooked the trailer up so I cut the 5 pin connector off and installed a 7 pin connector in its place. Since then I have had the ground wire pull loose from the trailer twice.

Last week I decided to fix this issue permanently. I ordered a Bargman / DrawTite 54006-043 six foot coiled trailer connector. The cable has a long coiled section like an old corded phone which allows the cable to stretch up to 6' without straining the connections.

This is the new cable in use. (Click the thumbnail to enlarge).

IMG_3438.JPG

I soldered and shrink tubed the wires. The color code was different from what was used for the original 5 pin connection. After some experimentation I arrived at

Connector Yellow -> Trailer Blue (backup light, disable brakes)
Connector Green -> Trailer Brown and Grey (both wires, tail and marker lights)
Connector Red -> Trailer Yellow (left turn / brake)
Connector Brown -> Trailer Green (right turn / brake)
Connector Brown -> Trailer Ground

The black and blue wires from the connector need to be capped off. I used shrink tubing to do so.

I spaced out the splices at varying lengths so that they would not be overlapping.

I installed (crimped and soldered) a ring connector on the connectors ground wire, drilled a 1/8" pilot hole then used a self tapping screw to secure the ground. I applied dielectric grease to the threads of the screw and both sides of the ring connector.

IMG_3430.JPG

The factory trailer wiring harness was smaller than 1/2", perhaps 3/8". I used a section of 1/2" split loom to overlap the 3/8" factory loom and secure it to the connector's coiled lead. 5/8" split loom would have been better for for the coiled lead. I secured both ends of the split loom with electrical tape.

Then I secured the connector's coiled lead to the trailer with two large wire ties that are typically used by HVAC installers. The third wire tie has secured the brake lockout key to my trailer for several years.

IMG_3432.JPG

I purchased the coiled 7 pin connector for $34 via Amazon. Unfortunately the price has gone up in the last few days. I had the soldering iron, solder, shrink tubing, split loom and wire ties already. My total cost was less than $35 and the upgrade took less than an hour. It would probably be less than 30 minutes to repeat since I now know the color coding.

For comparison this is the old connector that I removed which has been opened to take a peak at which wires went where.

IMG_3434.JPG

Chuckbig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have debated on making the switch too. I have been holding back because I don't want to exclude any buyers when I eventually sell the boat.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been holding back because I don't want to exclude any buyers when I eventually sell the boat.
Do any modern trucks come with a 5 pin socket without a 7?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
4 or 7... 5 is the oddball..

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
my truck has both. not gonna complain :)

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do any trucks still come with 4 pin connectors? I guess cars might.
GM trucks come stock with 7 pin and 4 pin combo plug.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My truck has both the flat 4 and the circle 7. Stupid thing figures the 5 is entirely pointless.

Last boat had a flat 4 and my truck had a 5. Go figure, now I have adaptors out the wazoo.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why not use one of these?
I did not want all the extra wire hanging around or the increased potential of theft. Or perhaps I should just admit that I like soldering.

This adapter with the factory wiring secured to the tongue would be a quick, easy way to solve the same problem.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
it is a pain remembering to put the adapter back on each time I retrieve the boat. you know how many times I've pushed my trailer in reverse with the brakes fully locked up....lmao

like why am I hearing this weird noise as my trailer is hopping up and down. hehe

I'm gonna cut mine and put the 7 pin on.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do any trucks still come with 4 pin connectors? I guess cars might.
I think most modern trucks with factory tow package have both. This is what my Ram truck came with...

Last edited:

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cut the 5 off and put a 7 on before i took delivery. Bruce, i would suggest turning the self tapping ground screw into a 1/4in through bolt for long term reliability. Cam.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got tired of jacking around with those flimsy 4 and 5 pin plugs this spring. I hard-wired a big 7-pin plug connector to all 3 of my trailers.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread here-
I have a 2014 212 and shore lander trailer.
I currently have a 5 pin connector with 7 wires from the trailer going into it.
I often use my orange lock out because with the adapter I have it doesn’t disengage the solenoid when in reverse like it is supposed to.

I’m am totally down to cut the old one out and use a coil style exactly like @Bruce did. I’m just not sure what wires go to what on the new round 7 pin.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks all, below are pics.
72D43314-2EA8-44FF-B6E7-3C0F892DA235.jpeg7544CEF0-8573-41C3-9027-0CCB5BDFB0D0.jpeg

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ratket, the 5 pin to 7 pin color conversion is in the first post.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce
Mama always said I was special...
Had to re read the wiring configuration like 3 times.. cause I kept skimming past the first one and it was the one I was most concerned with lol

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
now I have adaptors out the wazoo.
Same here. I have more adapters sitting around than I care to admit to. Never had a tow vehicle with the 5 pin output though. All have either been 4 or 7 or both.

If/when I add brakes to this trailer, I'll be moving to a 7-pin connector. The adapters always seen to fall off, or otherwise get disconnected.