• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upstate South Carolina Lakes

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm planning a trip to visit Lakes Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, and Greenwood (South Carolina)in early July. Any suggestions on things to see / do at each lake? Any suggestions on boat ramps to use? I'll be staying in the Clemson area and driving to each lake.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm planning a trip to visit Lakes Jocassee, Keowee, Hartwell, and Greenwood (South Carolina)in early July. Any suggestions on things to see / do at each lake? Any suggestions on boat ramps to use? I'll be staying in the Clemson area and driving to each lake.
Those are all my local lakes. I frequent Keowee, Jocassee, and Hartwell. Actually going on Greenwood for the first time this weekend. Feel free to shoot me a PM at anytime while you are here and I'll help in any way you need.

On Jocassee, there is just one ramp which is a state park. It is Devil's Fork. Jocassee is a gorgeous mountain lake with pretty much 0 homes or businesses on it. One thing to be aware of, get to the ramp early! They only allow so many boats on the lake and will shut the ramp down when they hit that amount. I have had multiple Jocassee trips that turned into Keowee trips because of it. Get a waterfall map of Jocassee. There are at least 5 you can get to by boat and they are awesome! Essentially no beaches on Jocassee and the lake is very deep. Plenty of coves that get shallow enough to anchor though.

I go to Keowee more than any other lake. Lots to do and see. Tons and tons of ramps to use. If you're gonna be in Clemson area, you could use South Cove or Lake Keowee Marina. Both should be pretty close. South Cove is a county park and Lake Keowee marina also has a restaurant there called the Tiki Hut which is pretty good. PERSONALLY, I don't like the ramp at the marina because it is pretty steep and makes loading the boat a challenge at times since I am so used to what I consider normal ramps. Keowee has a waterfall with a sandbar as well and it is the "party cove" of the lake. Also about 3 different jumping rocks and a cove with a rope swing. Keowee has beaches everywhere and is a fun lake to explore. You can ride to the back side of the Jocassee dam and that is pretty cool to see. Another great restaurant on the Lake is The Cabana which is a lake side bar and grill that is associated with The Lighthouse (fancier restaurant on the lake.)

Hartwell is the biggest of all the lakes. I don't know all the ramps because there are so many. Last few times I have gone, I was near Clemson and put in at the Lawrence Bridge boat ramp. Endless exploring on Hartwell and beaches everywhere. Pretty cool to ride over to the Clemson stadium since it is right on the water. Clemson marina also has good food.

Don't know a ton about Greenwood yet. Pretty small lake compared to Keowee or Hartwell. I am camping there all next week though so I'll have more insight soon.

Let me know if I can help in any way!

Last edited:

cameron.sprinkle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We just came back from Keowee and Jocassee. AMAZING! Where we boat the lakes are mostly mud water. Definitely get a map for Jocassee. We mainly stayed on the north end of Keowee. I think it is the prettiest part of the lake. I will try to post some pics.97467
This is the waterfall on Keowee. Really nice.
View from the house we rented on the north end.
Here is one of the waterfalls on Jocassee. The rest are on Jocassee as well.97470
Everyone said the water was dirty. We could still see 8ft or more down at Keowee and 15-20 down at Jocassee. You will love it!65F2167A-5154-4E84-8F35-04DC6C19CCC2.jpegCBED7970-CB84-4523-B0C5-4F04C782AC4D.jpeg8D416B1D-DB7C-4CFA-B0EA-50C0C11D8C15.jpeg8D28896F-8EBE-4C2C-92E6-6BCF14A3B908.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is an interesting shot of that same waterfall (first one) when Jocassee was 25+ feet down back in 2012.
12D43395-5006-4D17-84F8-3CFE321E0683.jpeg
62C48130-FEB6-4207-AE55-2D042380531F.jpeg

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We call it “Nose Up Falls”. Wanna see your kids scramble? Plus all that water in the boat is a great way to wash the inside of the boat, especially if there are any red clay stains from Hartwell!
76D19D65-61BE-4245-8625-132A143AC5DF.jpeg

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the detailed response, let me know how you end up liking Lake Greenwood. We'll probably make 3 or the 4 lakes during the trip, we are trying to decide between Hartwell and Greenwood.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I hate how high jocassee is now. Used to have awesome sand bars to play at. All great lakes. Way up north end of keowee behind the cliffs golf course is jumping rock. Prob 30ft deep and cliff is 30ft high or so. Been years since I have made it up there but used to jump/dive off it all the time.

Hartwell is nice as well not as "pretty" as the other 2.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been on Greenwood five times. The whole lake is about 25 feet deep at most and the water can get a bit muddy compared to the bigger lakes. It has a “small town” feel with a few places to eat right on the water.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
After exploring Greenwood all weekend, I would definitely say Hartwell over Greenwood. Greenwood is a small, quaint lake with a couple cool sandbars but it just doesn't compare to Hartwell in my opinion. Keowee is still my favorite of all the lakes but if I was picking a lake to go to between those two, definitely Hartwell.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been to Jocassee too many times to count, never ventured to Keowee. Sounds like I need to.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Been to Jocassee too many times to count, never ventured to Keowee. Sounds like I need to.
You are missing out on some good boating! Water ALMOST as clean as Jocassee but a good bit larger lake with more to explore and a couple good restaurants. Definitely more built up than Jocassee but if you enjoy looking at monster sized houses, Keowee has them!

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. We are planning Jocassee, Keowee, and Hartwell at this point. I’m excited to explore new areas!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll be on Jocassee all weekend if you see a red AR210 come say hi. We’re glamping Friday - Sunday. Weather lookin GOOD!

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I really appreciate everyone’s feedback. We are planning Jocassee, Keowee, and Hartwell at this point. I’m excited to explore new areas!
What dates are you planning?

KyleP

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally I would pass on Greenwood and go to one of the other lakes twice. Not much at greenwood and it is real shallow in random areas

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The waterfalls are cool. You guys have some nice water. Lake Norman looks like a mud hole right now from all the rain. I might have to do a road trip there it looks awesome but I’d need a hotel on the water my camping days are over.

Jameson Clark

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The waterfalls are cool. You guys have some nice water. Lake Norman looks like a mud hole right now from all the rain. I might have to do a road trip there it looks awesome but I’d need a hotel on the water my camping days are over.
Lake Hartwell has a couple hotels right on the water in the Clemson area. Only about a 10 min drive to get to Keowee from there. About 30 minutes to Jocassee. Both are gorgeous mountain lakes!

Hampton Inn Clemson, SC Hotel

Attachments

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On 7/1 jocassee "should" be fine. I believe they only have like 150 parking spots for boat trailers on the 4th they will close park pretty quick