• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Use oil other than Yamalube?

JWPrendergast

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The first oil change I did was using Yamalube, but there are other options, aren’t there? Cant you use a conventional oil or synthetic oil? Is there something special about the Yamaha oil?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh boy, lots of debate on this topic, if you search you will find lots of ammo around which way to go. Now for my opinion (it's not worth much!)... :)

I would use whatever oil you have a history with and/or comfortable with. There are lots of good oils out there and these engines are very tolerant to many different brands and types (dino vs. synth). Just make sure you follow the manual's suggestion on what weight of oil for the engines you have.

I personally run Mobile 1 synthetic in almost all of my engines (from tractor, cars and to the boat) and have had good experience.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Mobile 1 Synthetic as well.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use Mobil 1. My 230 arrived with Mobil 1 in it from the previous owner and I am sticking with it.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You don't have to use Yamalube. Look in the manual, though, to ensure that you're using an appropriate service grade as well as weight & viscosity.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Castrol GTX here. And get ready for an oil debate! That will lead into an oil filter debate!!

Basically I don't think it's super critical, what kind of oil you use because we only average about 50 hours per season on the engines. I believe the MOST critical part of an oil change is WHEN you change the oil. I firmly believe you should do it at the end of the season so fresh oil is coating your parts over the Winter hibernation.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with @BigN8 when he states that most of us only put on 50 or so hours a season so oil brand is not critical as long as it meets manufacture's specs. I just transitioned from Mobil-1 10w30 full synthetic to regular Mobil 10w40 dino oil. Just an experiment for the next upcoming season to see if it slows or stops the slight pan drip I get from the port side motor. I've read that synthetic oil may not properly wet the gaskets causing them to dry and leak. We'll see.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use Valvoline Max Life, it's a synthetic blend. I've used Valvoline for years in all my stuff and it has always worked well for me.

I think these days. All the major brends are made to such a high standard that you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I buy the oil recommended in the manual and filter from the local auto dealer. The filters, spark plugs are all for sale cheaper at a auto parts store. Yamaha doesn't make their own lubricants and you are just paying for the label. The 1.8L motors are used in wave runners and get much more abuse than our boats. I'd just go with what you can get at the local store and do regular oil changes like any other vehicle that you take care of. I plan on keeping my boat for 10yrs or more but I'm not going to put extra money into the basics like oil. I will treat my boat like any other vehicle that I want to keep running and check on the oil and whatever other parts might be going bad. A simple look at the dipstick will give you a pretty good idea if you need a change. How many outboards have sat for years outside and still run and I'm wondering if a lot of motors just sit and still turn over and run ever after years of sitting. I know that people are conservative here but I think these motors, at least the 1.8L will run for a long time with just a basic oil change.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I bought my boat used with 100 hours on it. The original owner only used yamalube and didn't have any issues. I switched to full synthetic and within the first 100 hours of my use both engines developed problems with the oil coolers, one was cracked the other warped, both were leaking and replaced under warranty. I've since switched back to yamalube. I'm not saying the synthetic oil caused my problems but just to be safe I'm sticking with yamalube, at least for my boat. My '06 wave runners will continue to get Mobil 1 full synthetic, which is cheaper at cost co than yamalube is at the dealer by the way.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my boat used with 100 hours on it. The original owner only used yamalube and didn't have any issues. I switched to full synthetic and within the first 100 hours of my use both engines developed problems with the oil coolers, one was cracked the other warped, both were leaking and replaced under warranty. I've since switched back to yamalube. I'm not saying the synthetic oil caused my problems but just to be safe I'm sticking with yamalube, at least for my boat. My '06 wave runners will continue to get Mobil 1 full synthetic, which is cheaper at cost co than yamalube is at the dealer by the way.
Do folks that had the oil cooler issue with Yamalube switch to another brand of oil to be safe? :)