• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Used 230 vs 240??

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been looking and researching a lot about getting a used Yamaha. Ideally, I wanted a 240, SX or AR does not really matter to me as I don't plan on doing anything more than dragging a tube and going to the sandbar up river or island at the lake. The market and prices have obviously gone completely insane this year, so I started looking at other options like an older 230 series. I found an 09 SX230 that seems to be well kept at a fair price, but I haven't actually had a chance to travel and go see it. Of course now, I'm questioning if I want to go with the 230 option or wait until the right 240 comes along.

My main concern with the 230 is the MR-1 HO motors, and their continued serviceability. I know they are fairly bullet proof, but they also haven't been made for around 10 years. How much longer will parts and service still be available? Is this a real concern or am I just over thinking it? Other than the lower buy-in cost in the used market, is there any other advantage or place where the 230 outshines the 240s (mainly 2012-2014 as I don't like the first model year of a new design and I'm not sold on the connext or the price of 2015+).

Thanks for your input

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my humble opinion, their serviceability is the same now that it will be in 15 years. The manufacturer has more or less moved on. even thought it was used in skis as late as 2015 (A Hole In One: 2015 Yamaha VX Cruiser WaveRunner | The Watercraft Journal | the best resource for JetSki, WaveRunner, and SeaDoo enthusiasts and most popular Personal WaterCraft site in the world!)

All parts that wear are available in the after market (more or less), and a rebuild can be accomplished by a mechanic if one is ever needed.

(As a parallel, There are thousands of crafts running on Seadoo 2 cycle 717 engines still, last used in 2003, and first seen in 1994? and you can still get them rebuilt.)

With either a 2010 or 2009 (or 08 or 07) You are still buying a 10+ year old boat. If you don't mind the smaller space and different lines, For the amount difference I happily went for the 230 a few years ago. The boat is VERY reliable, and the common weak spots (2 electrical switches that are built to shut the engine off to increase safety) are easy to address.

I've been very very lucky. So far in 3 years of ownership I have not lost a single outing. I have replaced a solenoid starter, the dead-man switch and had to rig one of the rear hatch switches. (These systems are the exact same in the 240s, so the issue does not go away with newer models)

For the difference, and how reliable these are, I would suggest the opposite, that you would greatly benefit from seeing the 230 in person, if only to compare and make up your mind. Also, 2009 was the last of a 7 year run, 2010 is the first run of the model redesign. Which one do you think has the kinks worked out? (I'm a fan of the 230 series can you tell?)

Best of Luck, you can't go wrong either way.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we were looking at buying a Yamaha we were doing the same as you, 230 or 240??? At the time I couldn’t justify the extra $4k for the year newer 240. The 230 series has a lot of room and the engines are said to be bulletproof by many owners. Like stated before, most issues that you run into are the same no matter what model you buy. Either way you go there are plenty of members here with experience on both and can walk you through just about any repair.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I bought my 2010 AR240. Brand new 2010.
I could have bought 2009 AR230 brand new for $5000 less.
At the time I based my decision on
1. Swim deck height 3" above the water
2. Larger from squared out bow
3. The new 1.8 motors (which have been great and flawless about 400 hours on them)
4. Entire boat and hull had been redesigned
Personally I prefer the 2010-2014 hulls before the keel was redesigned and factory fin added. I have the flip up thrust vectors, and we boat on a narrow river and this allows the smaller tighter turning radius.
Also do what your budget can handle the 230 series are great boats and a great value. Parts and service help should always be available.

Last edited:

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would say it does not matter. Either way you are good.

I have 2012 sx240 and I love the layout and looks of it. I would say better than the 230 or even the 2015+.
as fas far as the engines go I would vote for MR1. I have a defined one on my 2015 Jetski and we love it. Both my ski and boat have about 110 hours and the ski runs much smoother than the boat (1.8 HO). Needless to say we baby the boat hardly ever goes WOT while the ski we are running it like we stole it. We like the engine on the ski so much that Iam thinking for the next boat maybe we get a 210 which has the TR1.

Bottom line for me engines are fine With either choice. 240 will give you better layout and more room; 230 will be more fuel efficient and more durable hull ( if you ever venture to rough waters).

PS have you seen the 190 in Georgia ? That boat is a real good shape . I was even thinking to get it a spare boat

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought about the 190, but I'm afraid I will be underwhelmed by the performance. Same with the 210s. Trying to take the "buy your 2nd boat first" advice.