• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Using EZ Locks correctly

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This may be obvious, but it took me too long to figure out.

There is a video on installing the EZ Locks. No problem. But it took me forever when I first had them to get the clips into those little holes after I had put the plug in.

The right way to do it is to put the clip into the plug while it is out. It will not go all the way through, of course. Then when you put the plug in and set it, the clip will snap closed the rest of the way, securing the plug.

I usually put the clips in the plug immediately when I take them out after putting the boat away. That way they are ready to just pop in when we are ready to go next time.

bucks448

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
:winkingthumbsup"

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled both sides of my plugs. It sometimes makes the RH or LH installation easier. Cam.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good points @tdonoughue, I guess some of us learned about this presetting long ago from Jeff, and didn't share it enough. Definitely set the EZ Locks prior to putting the plug in the hole, and as you said, it snaps into place. You do want to look down there and make sure "both" sides of the pin snapped in and the tips are touching. You can see them through the opening between both sides of that cam arm. You give a good idea here too and I never thought about it! Reinserting the EZ Lock in the plug might be a great idea, to keep them from sliding around in the clean out tray. I wonder if having them permanently expanded so to speak, weakens the spring of the steel? I kind of doubt it, but I don't know. I may try the preload myself if it doesn't...any input on that @Cobra Jet Steering LLC ?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled a bevel on the outside of the holes to help guide the end of the spring in. It must help as getting them in seem pretty easy. I never thought about putting them in before the plug was inserted. I might have to try that today. Cam.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I drilled a bevel on the outside of the holes to help guide the end of the spring in. It must help as getting them in seem pretty easy. I never thought about putting them in before the plug was inserted. I might have to try that today. Cam.
I actually struggled with it the first time out. . . . . . put the plugs in the hole first and THEN tried to install the EZ-Locks. No Bueno. . . . I actually contemplated drilling a bevel and while doing so, I actually figured out that I could set the EZ locks and THEN put them in the holes. Now I re-set them like that every time I pull the plugs. When I drop them in the hole and lock the plugs I just give them a little jiggle to make sure they set all the way. Works flawlessly.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also tried to install them after locking the plugs when I first got them.

Yep, putting them on the plugs when they're out is the way to go!

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Unless you starred in the movie Now you see me, you will need to set them before you put the plugs in the holes.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
HMMM I thought I had that on my video, I also found it helpful to use a small nail file or emery board and remove any little burs on the ends caused when the parts are cut.
Once you do that they close really easily.
Also if you find it difficult to remove a lock it is telling you that the plug attempted to release, obviously the lock did it's job and you will need to push down on the t handle to take the pressure off and release the lock.
Also It is important to use the correct drill that I provide with the locks, using a larger one can compromise the effectiveness of the lock since it is made to hold the parts in place to prevent the dogs from retracting, therefore making the outside holes larger allows more room for the dogs to travel.
I always encourage people to contact me directly if they have any questions about the steering or the locks .
This video also gives you some insight on the cleanout plug and lock.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC , do you think leaving the locks pre-installed while in storage will weaken the spring capability?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not at all.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Then the idea of leaving them installed on an unlocked plug is compelling, instead of banging around the clean out tray with the plug, that is laying across the tube opening! Thanks again Jeff, and @tdonoughue another good idea bro!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The lanyard was added to keep from loosing the lock when not in use, the newer boats have a cable attached to the clean out plug and attaching the lanyard to the cable also keeps track of the ezlock.
You may also recall several years ago on a web site far far away, I mentioned that the clean out plugs should really be stored with the t handle down, not up.
The vital spring that loads the small internal tray for the factory locking mechanism, is the one I would be concerned about loosing it's potency while being stored compressed.
Having the t handle up means the inner spring is compressed because the tray is being pushed back against it, add to that what I said about trash , sand, salt etc collecting in the track where the tray must travel all the way forward to engage the bar into the t handle and you are actually contributing to the plug failure by storing the plug unlocked.
Any minerals etc that are in the water inside the cleanout plug will be left there when the water evaporates.
The old site has all the history however the point about the name EZ LOCK , was due to it's easy initial installation and it's easy use both for installing the plug and the removal of the plug plus it was EZ on the wallet.

Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
EZ in every regard! Jeff, thanks for the reminder about the tray spring...I forgot that one was compressed when unlocked. Maybe not such a good idea then to keep the EZ Locks installed. Yep, have the leashes and they do the job.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always believed that after rinsing the clean out plugs when they are removed, you should leave them out but push down the t handles and if you want you can place the locks in to remind you to unlock the plug before you drop them down the tube.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To rephrase what Jeff is saying...

Its better for the plug to be stored with the T-handle in the locked position. It doesn't have to be down in the hole. It can be sitting on top, but still "locked".

It seems counter-intuitive, but the key spring is compressed when the T-handle and dogs are UNlocked. Storing the plugs for long periods unlocked could weaken the effectiveness of that spring. Locking the plug takes pressure OFF of that spring.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Which kind of makes pre-loading the locks in the handle counter productive...if your going to lock the handle. I did that for awhile back when this discussion took place a few years ago, but got out of the habit. Maybe going back to locking them is a better way to preserve them. I have never had issues with the spring, it has always been swelling of the lower plug half and consequently the seal. So I kind of think any weakening of the spring life is out there past the life limits of the lower plug half and gasket/seal. But let's say you take great care of your plugs, and then use a repair kit two or three times over a 8-10 year period...then wham, the plug locking capability starts to falter. Very good points gentlemen.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC , that part of the installation may have very well been in the video and I just missed it. I was focused on where to drill the hole...

Great points about storing the plugs. I always leave mine out and the hatch open (so I don't forget that they are not fully engaged and go take the boat out--not that that would ever happen...). I will snap the T down next time. I also like the countersink idea. Gonna do that one.

Still a great little invention.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Don't counter sink the sides of the plug, it is plastic and doing that makes it weaker , just put the lock on before you install the plug , then when you push down on the t handle the lock closes. That is all you need to do.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just tried putting in the locks first before installing the plugs. Works great! Cam.