• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

utility trailer wheel bearing question

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 16' double axle utility trailer. I've owned for 15 years and it was abused pretty good before I got it (the under support bars are bowed)

I seem to remember when I first bought it messing with the wheel and possibly replacing a couple of the bearings but that was 15 years ago. I really don't know what I'm doing,

I had one wheel that when you pulled outward on the top of it would move about 1/8-1/4 of in inch. enough to definitely hear and feel it. With the wheel off the hub would move in/out about 1/8 of an inch. Also when you spun the hub you could hear a slight grinding/contact (it wasn't terrible but it wasn't quiet).

after enough youtubes and knowing I'm going to have to do this to the boat trailer I'd thought Tonight was the night I figured I'd pull it apart.

The hub came off very easily and the outer seal and bearing came out and looked to be in good condition, it feels tight and rolled ok.

I couldn't get the inner bearing out and it appears there's a gap of about 1/8 inch between the outer seal and the bearing itself. I can move the bearing up/down within that gap.

1. Is that normal for that space to be there?

2. Also the spindle ?? it is not finished in the center section between the bearings, is that normal?

trailer spindle jpg.jpg

trailer inner bearing gap.jpg

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
@Bruce :)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That does look nasty. The unfinished section should not contact anything so it should not be an issue.

Fortunately or perhaps unfortunately I have never had to change trailer wheel bearings before. I have changed the wheel bearings on a Porsche. That was just a matter of pressing the old bearings out, heating up the hub, freezing the bearings and pressing them together.

Can you use a press to push out the stuck part of the bearing?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was able to remove the inner bearing and seal. when I put the bearing on the spindle and turned it, it felt rough or as if there might be sand inside the bearing and I could hear it,

when I would hold the removed bearing in my fingers and push on it, it would feel like the outer part would move 1/16 inch like it wasn't sealed against the rollers tight but the outer bearing feels the same way,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wondering if maybe the inner seal in my first question wasn't tapped fully in allowing the wobble of the bearing?

If that's true then the seal wouldn't be flush with the edge of the hub,

I'll take another wheel off tomorrow to compare,

mdwarchichoke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I went with new bearings. They are cheap unless you want Timken's or something. Just make sure the spindles do not have any grooves in them. If it a working trailer hauling everyday, by the better ones. But for yard work and occasional short hauls to the dump, the cheap sets have worked find for me so far. This is were I got mine, but Tractor Supply, Northwest Tool etc has them too. I kept the old ones and repacked them into a spare hub I had. Never have roasted a hub yet, but i have learned to replace trailer tires due to age the hardway! HA

https://www.southwestwheel.com/c-218-running-gear-parts.aspx

Have fun its greasy, but not hard at all. Cheaper latex surgical gloves makes it less messy. I did all four of mine. Figured I had the wheels off anyway.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't believe it but the job got done today, no more wheel wiggle.

I replaced the bearings. The inner bearing still had play between the hub and seal but the other were like that also.

The spindle on the other side also had the same "unfinished" area between the bearings.

Two great tips, black plastic gloves from Walmart (the blue ones rip very easy, the black ones are more durable and I could even take them off and on).

Lisle bearing packer, I know don't laugh but the thought of working that bearing in my hand with the grease, it just seemed easier and it moves the old grease out,
It was tremendously east\y and with little to no mess, well worth it to do the boat also,

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=192

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did this last year due to water intrusion on one of my hubs. I decided to replace the entire hub. There wasn't a big cost difference and I found it much easier. It's something that could be done of the side of the interstate if needed.