• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Vantage Protection System

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anybody else given the Vantage Protection System a try? For those not aware of it, it is a ceramic coating for the exterior and interior of your boat that comes with a 5 year, zero deductible, warranty on any hull oxidation/discoloration damage and any rips or stains to the interior. It is suppose to eliminate the need for waxing. I couldn't pass up on the idea to give up having to wax for 5 years so I took a chance on it, but I am wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Jim Crane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first thought was that it would be from a startup company with nothing to lose. If it doesn't work, they go out of business and you are left without a company to backup their warranty. But this company has been around for decades. I'd love to hear if this works.

bumpy

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can I ask the cost?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buddy just had his Auid S6 ceramic coated. Took them 3 days to buff/clean/prep the paint for the coating. The car is white and looks absolutely PHENOMINAL now that it's done. He does a good deal of highway driving and the car was "medium dirty" when he picked me up for an event on Saturday. Stopped through the car wash and LIGHTLY pressure washed the thing without touching it. Dirt went away like it was on teflon, and the water beaded up and slid off right behind it. Car looked amazing again for about $2 in quarters, and 5 minutes of washing.

He likes it so much he said he'll be putting it on everything he owns moving forward. I think he said it was around $2k to get the car done completely, and should last a few years.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I think he said it was around $2k to get the car done completely, and should last a few years.
So I get my car washed roughly 20 times a year at $20 per wash, so that would cost $2000 in 5 years. So I'd want it to do more than keep my car clean......does it prevent rock dings, door dings etc? Or is it just for "looks".... (or it would need to last more than 5 years)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I get my car washed roughly 20 times a year at $20 per wash, so that would cost $2000 in 5 years. So I'd want it to do more than keep my car clean......does it prevent rock dings, door dings etc? Or is it just for "looks".... (or it would need to last more than 5 years)
My understanding is that ceramic coatings acts like a sacrificial layer over paint/gel coat much like wax, but it is more hydrophobic and lasts much longer. I have seen reviews from about 5 years ago that were very mixed, but nothing in the last few years. My hope is that like all new high tech things is that they take time to refine and that these coatings have been really figured out after some time on the market. 🤞

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Think of it like a long-lasting wax job. Pretty sure your $20 was doesn't include a wax and buff. When I lived in Dallas, I had a guy do something similar but less expensive - about $400 - on my Jeep. Running through a $10 auto-wash left my car looking like it came from a full detail with hand wax and buff. Lasted about 12 months. The ceramic coatings are supposed to do basically the same but last longer.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can’t speak on this specific product, but I do enjoy using Cerakote products on my firearms. It’s a ceramic based oven cure “paint” that is very tough, and corrosion resistant. Ceramic based products are legit, and I would be very surprised if the results they predict aren’t accurate. I really enjoy the Cerakote products, you can do some really cool stuff with it. And again, very durable.

Attachments

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t speak on this specific product, but I do enjoy using Cerakote products on my firearms. It’s a ceramic based oven cure “paint” that is very tough, and corrosion resistant. Ceramic based products are legit, and I would be very surprised if the results they predict aren’t accurate. I really enjoy the Cerakote products, you can do some really cool stuff with it. And again, very durable.
If only I had a big enough oven.... Cerakote is some tuff stuff.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If only I had a big enough oven.... Cerakote is some tuff stuff.
A kitchen oven is sufficient for most guns, once they’re broken down. Tell the wife you’re gonna buy her a new oven, and put her old one in the garage...😜

nawlinstornado

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A kitchen oven is sufficient for most guns, once they’re broken down. Tell the wife you’re gonna buy her a new oven, and put her old one in the garage...😜
Yeah, but my boat isn't going to fit in it. And i'm not sure how well fiberglass would hold up in one, anyway.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha, I read you now! They also have air cure, though! I’ve actually been thinking about doing this to my boat once I get a few gelcoat repairs done. As long as I’m not missing anything, it should be a fairly straightforward DIY air cure ceramic clearcoat job.

Attachments

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The catch-22 is the prep. I haven’t researched whether it needs sandblasted, etc.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What most people are impressed by with a ceramic coating (car, boat and etc.) is the prep. The surface is clayed/embedded contaminants are removed, and the surface is polished with one or multiple steps of compound. The surface is now flatter and much more reflective than when it was new. The ceramic coating can then be applied; the prep is needed for looks and bonding. The coating will make it easier to wash, and it provides some protection against swirling (light scratches that are caused by poor washing technique (dirty cloth with grit) and poor drying technique (using an abrasive cloth such as cotton to dry). It will also not require wax for a couple of years.

However, a ceramic coating will require (for best results and life) special washing solutions and refreshes (additional application of a booster) to achieve a life greater than approximately two years. Ceramic coatings will not protect your from rock strikes, dock rash or any other type of physical contact damage.

The big disadvantage to ceramic coatings is the cost. How much are you willing to pay for the convenience? Also, all warranties that I have seen involve additional application of the product - not a refund.

For me, 2.5 hours with a random orbital buffer with a medium cut pad using a one-step polish and wax (in my case Griot's One Step) gives me a surface that is better than new, and it lasts about a year. I will be doing my boat again as soon as it cools down to highs in the 70s - about another month. My cost is about $10 per application. Another 2-3 hours inside the boat hand waxing with a synthetic wax everywhere but the non-skid (use non-skid wax there), and I am am done for the year.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What most people are impressed by with a ceramic coating (car, boat and etc.) is the prep. The surface is clayed/embedded contaminants are removed, and the surface is polished with one or multiple steps of compound. The surface is now flatter and much more reflective than when it was new. The ceramic coating can then be applied; the prep is needed for looks and bonding. The coating will make it easier to wash, and it provides some protection against swirling (light scratches that are caused by poor washing technique (dirty cloth with grit) and poor drying technique (using an abrasive cloth such as cotton to dry). It will also not require wax for a couple of years.

However, a ceramic coating will require (for best results and life) special washing solutions and refreshes (additional application of a booster) to achieve a life greater than approximately two years. Ceramic coatings will not protect your from rock strikes, dock rash or any other type of physical contact damage.

The big disadvantage to ceramic coatings is the cost. How much are you willing to pay for the convenience? Also, all warranties that I have seen involve additional application of the product - not a refund.

For me, 2.5 hours with a random orbital buffer with a medium cut pad using a one-step polish and wax (in my case Griot's One Step) gives me a surface that is better than new, and it lasts about a year. I will be doing my boat again as soon as it cools down to highs in the 70s - about another month. My cost is about $10 per application. Another 2-3 hours inside the boat hand waxing with a synthetic wax everywhere but the non-skid (use non-skid wax there), and I am am done for the year.
That's where I was very torn. I can handle doing a wax job twice a season. When I sold our 4 y/o Yamaha, outside of a few love marks it looked brand new. My wife was the one who pushed for it because she hates buffing it (the only thing I ask her to contribute to the boat). I can't say I am a fan either so I am sincerely hoping the convenience we paid for, pays off.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's where I was very torn. I can handle doing a wax job twice a season. When I sold our 4 y/o Yamaha, outside of a few love marks it looked brand new. My wife was the one who pushed for it because she hates buffing it (the only thing I ask her to contribute to the boat). I can't say I am a fan either so I am sincerely hoping the convenience we paid for, pays off.
Hey - I am sure your boat looks great with the prep and the coating. There is no reason to have doubts - just enjoy the shine.

If I did not at least like the process of caring for my boat, RV and vehicles, I would probably be pricing ceramic coatings, but I actually do get some satisfaction from doing it myself. Of course, it is also a reason/excuse to buy more tools; I have three random orbital buffers - Griots 3 inch, Griots 6 inch and the beast, Flex 3401 with forced pad rotation. When a tornado uprooted a large oak in our backyard a few years ago, the tree service wanted $1,400 to remove it. I used this as justification to buy a Stihl Farm Boss chain saw with 20 inch bar (plus another bar, chain, chaps and helmet with mesh face shield). It took awhile, but I cut up and hauled out everything (the county picks up yard debris). I used my pressure washer to remove all of the soil from the exposed root ball, before I excavated and severed the remaining roots. I