• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Very Basic Newbie Question

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've never driven/piloted a boat. I just had an AR240 delivered from out of state so I didn't get to ride along on the setup.

My question is: when reverse is engaged and I turn the wheel to the left does the stern go to the left? I was under the impression it was the opposite. I will have to reverse out of boat launch and want to be prepared

Also does no wake mode work while in reverse because the manual only mentioned forward or I missed it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When in reverse, the direction of the steering will turn the boat in the same direction. I have a 17' ar240

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You turn left in reverse the stern will go left, the bow will swing right.

No wake mode in reverse. I believe it does but have never done that. I don't know if I would. I usually reverse very slowly as the control in reverse is not like a car. Plus you don't have brakes.

Last edited:

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great thanks guys.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes no wake mode works in forward or reverse so long as you don't go beyond the first detents of the throttle. I use it all the time when docking or retrieving as it allows me to focus on steering with plenty of thrust for maneuvering.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please, please make your first trip on a calm, uncrowded day with only expectations to practice
Maybe make a post and ask if there's a member close by that could go with you

Never go faster than your willing to hit something

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please, please make your first trip on a calm, uncrowded day with only expectations to practice
Maybe make a post and ask if there's a member close by that could go with you

Never go faster than your willing to hit something
Thanks for the advice. I'm on the bay and fairly large river so it doesn't get congested. I have some friends with experience willing to go out with me.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice. I'm on the bay and fairly large river so it doesn't get congested. I have some friends with experience willing to go out with me.
I think that a calm lake with little to no current is more what Scott was referencing. I have been around boats all my life but this is my first jet. We went to a small lake on a weekday. The worst thing you can do is get frustrated. Keep calm and slow.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just go very very slow around docks until you get hang of it. Just creep in barely moving feathering it to forward, neutral and reverse as needed to creep up to a dock. I like a very slight bump forward then back to neutral then same thing over and over till I'm real close then cut both engines off and tie it up. Engines off as you get real close helps as you don't hit gas trying to over correct. Good luck!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hope you had a great first outing @Slfmde