• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF External Speaker

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wanted an external VHF speaker, but didn't want to have it mounted all the time. Dash space is at a premium, and I only need the speaker on special occasions. I decided to use a HUGE suction cup and mount a panel connector so I could easily and quickly deploy the speaker. I soldered the wires from my GPX1700 to a cheap 3.5mm headphone jack to mate with the standard plug that came on my external speaker. The speaker mounted to the suction cup with a 1/4-20 bolt. I still need to buy some adhesive cord keepers.

The awesome suction cup cost as much as the rest of the project, but I think it turned out great. I hate how much the gel coat chipped, but in that tight of a location, you can only drill from the bottom, so I don't know how to prevent it. I'll be investing in a small washer of some sort to cover the chips. Also, the jack threads were shorter than the depth of the plywood, so I had to drill a little extra in the bottom side of the mount to get the top nut on.

VHF Plug.jpg

VHF Speaker Plug.jpg

VH Speaker Suction.jpg

3.5 Panel Mount Jack - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ML4A2Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4 Ohm Speaker -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000THUZTA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Suction Cup - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BMDY30C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @ClemsonTiger. I thought about that. Before the Fusions, I was even thinking about something like this stereo interrupter to utilize the speakers in the boat. But, the more I thought about it, the less I wanted to worry my wife with the VHF chatter. If something goes sideways, she can still be bopping along to Taylor Swift or whatever while the important stuff happens at the helm. ;)

Joking aside, I think in a boat where the whole crew would want to hear what is coming in over the VHF, that is THE way to go. In my boat where it is likely I am the only one who cares, I went simple and added a removable speaker. It will still have to be seen if this speaker is enough, or if I will want to change it out for an amplified external.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I finished up this project and tested the external speaker this weekend. What a huge difference! The lowest volume through the external speaker was comparable to mid to high volume on the integrated GX1700 speaker.

The 3.5 mm jack works great. When the external speaker is plugged in, the audio plays through the speaker and when there is no external plugged in, audio returns to the integrated speaker. So, in conditions where I need the external to hear over the engines and wind noise, I can have it. If I just want to monitor the VHF while on the hook or something, I don't need to get the external out. In my opinion (and my wife's since she hates when I put extra stuff on the boat) this is the best of both worlds.

If you even think you are going to want an external speaker, do yourself a favor and solder longer leads on the radio before you mount it. The included leads from Standard Horizon are like 4" long which makes soldering after mounting a huge PITA. In my case, I had to crawl in the helm compartment and solder under the dash. It's amazing I didn't burn myself. Lol.

The aux jack I used was a stereo jack. The speaker was a mono speaker. I'm not sure if this is always the case, but my speaker used the right channel. I determined this by plugging the speaker in to the jack and using a multimeter to find which channel had 4 ohms resistance to common. The soldered leads can be seen in the picture below. I soldered and heat-shrinked the other end to the leads from the GX1700. Red to white, black to shield.

SpeakerJack.PNG SpeakerJackSolder.PNG

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm looking at adding the Standard Horizon MLS-300i and flush mounting it. Saw someone on here that did this (can't find the thread while on my phone remote) but the damn thing needs a 3-3/4" hole saw! I could free hand it, but that is a PITA. Why couldn't they make it a tiny bit smaller (3.5") when everyone has hole saws that size in standard kits! GRRRRR

Guess I'll do a different project today! :) Or mount it on the bracket somewhere....

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm looking at adding the Standard Horizon MLS-300i and flush mounting it. Saw someone on here that did this (can't find the thread while on my phone remote) but the damn thing needs a 3-3/4" hole saw! I could free hand it, but that is a PITA. Why couldn't they make it a tiny bit smaller (3.5") when everyone has hole saws that size in standard kits! GRRRRR

Guess I'll do a different project today! :) Or mount it on the bracket somewhere....
What is the outside diameter? Will it mount over a 4” hole and do you have a 4” hole saw?

If not you may want to consider one of these.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MIBRO-Adjustable-Circle-Hole-Cutter-For-Wood-Plastic-and-Composites-460271/304073013