• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF/GPS Combo

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Best VHF/GPS Need Help, Planning to make the bimini run with a group. but want to get a good VHF/GPS combo.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have the simrad GO 7 as well, but did not mount it to my dash, just used the RAM mount. As for VHF, I recommend getting a handheld for while you are on the island, as this is about the only means of communication. If you are looking for fixed mount, I like standard horizon. You will want the GX1700 or above for GPS/DSC. Personally, I am getting a GX 2200 this year to have AIS. The GX 2200 will communicate with your GO7 and provide AIS overlay of other boats. Sadly, this is the closest I am going to get to a radar this year. I have found Hodges Marine to have the best pricing, so add them to your favorites tab. Other than that, I am watching a WM-3 Sirius XM weather module to have a little more situational awareness while in the deep blue water this year.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have the simrad GO 7 as well, but did not mount it to my dash, just used the RAM mount. As for VHF, I recommend getting a handheld for while you are on the island, as this is about the only means of communication. If you are looking for fixed mount, I like standard horizon. You will want the GX1700 or above for GPS/DSC. Personally, I am getting a GX 2200 this year to have AIS. The GX 2200 will communicate with your GO7 and provide AIS overlay of other boats. Sadly, this is the closest I am going to get to a radar this year. I have found Hodges Marine to have the best pricing, so add them to your favorites tab. Other than that, I am watching a WM-3 Sirius XM weather module to have a little more situational awareness while in the deep blue water this year.
Thanks, Really Helpful. Getting standard horizon gx 2200. with vhf antenna and mount.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
good choice, if I do say so myself

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dan Still thinking about it, haven't even mounted the transducer, dont want to make any holes.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Yamaha212limiteds I recommend mounting your transducer under the ride plate. I originally mounted mine with the transom mount but @rsrlegends has me convinced that mounting to the ride plate is the best location. Transom mounting works well in functionality of the transducer, but creates a little drag on the boat and it is in my way for adding trim tabs. Rick, (@rsrlegends ) do you have any pics of your install location?

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What is your antenna mounting plan? Are you going to wire it up through the tower?
Got Everything is my cart, Im looking for 2.5' plate, to mount it to my tower. Drilling the hole for the wire is what has me stop.

Dan_NC

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Got Everything is my cart, Im looking for 2.5' plate, to mount it to my tower. Drilling the hole for the wire is what has me stop.
It always hurts, but just about anything can be fixed if you don't like it after install.

Yamaha212limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Yamaha212limiteds I recommend mounting your transducer under the ride plate. I originally mounted mine with the transom mount but @rsrlegends has me convinced that mounting to the ride plate is the best location. Transom mounting works well in functionality of the transducer, but creates a little drag on the boat and it is in my way for adding trim tabs. Rick, (@rsrlegends ) do you have any pics of your install location?
What bracket is needed to mount it to the rite plate, My is a total scan transducer. the one that comes with it is plastic.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Can anyone comment on the digital antennas? Are they any better? Worth the price?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

rsrlegends

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, this is how I mounted my transducer. Solid mount and seems to out of the turbulence. Have not had any issues.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah, this is how I mounted my transducer. Solid mount and seems to out of the turbulence. Have not had any issues.
I think I'm going to have to copy you as well @rsrlegends. Seems like the only spot that will work for me. Doesn't look like you needed to remove the ride plate. Any issues with the install? I'm assuming you had to get some longer bolts. Any pro tips? Are you still able to get readings on plane?

rsrlegends

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I'm going to have to copy you as well @rsrlegends. Seems like the only spot that will work for me. Doesn't look like you needed to remove the ride plate. Any issues with the install? I'm assuming you had to get some longer bolts. Any pro tips? Are you still able to get readings on plane?
I actually did remove the plate to drill and mount the transducer. Not that big of a deal but you need the right hex tool to remove it. No problems with readings at any speed/ condition.