• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

VHF Guide for newbies

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I just received my new handheld Standard Horizon HX870 in prep for the Charleston/Hilton Head run.

Apparently, I live far enough inland (and away from large bodies of water) that all I hear is static. So, I’m not sure what I’m doing.

Could we create a post for the FAQ giving guidance for newbies? What needs to be setup, how to get an MMSI number, syntax or usage guide, etc?

Maybe we can gather a few responses in this thread and move it to the FAQ if it’s deemed worthy.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boat US Online and Downloadable Tutorial - An awesome resource. Online video tutorial that walks through the MMSI / DSC / VHF technologies, how they work together and gives some sample calls to let you hear examples. Also, has a radio simulator to let you play around with making calls. For archival purposes, I downloaded the tutorial and have it linked here. It's about 42Mb, otherwise I would have uploaded it to this post.

Other BoatUS resources:

Other JetBoaters.net threads:

Top few YouTube videos after a search for "using vhf"

Radios recommended by various members: (@Bruce may have recommended each of these at different times, I don't recall)

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What else am I missing above? Target audience here is other folks like me... primarily inland small lake boaters who have an interest or "bucket list" dream of pursuing trips to larger bodies of water (rivers, larger lakes, or the deep blue sea).

Just starting down this road, but thought I'd post a few things that I found tonight. Happy to either update my post above so it's all in one place, or just let this thread collect other information.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Administrative is post 2 worthy of addition to FAQ under General Boating Tips? I think I'm about done adding content, for now. Unless someone else chimes in with other thoughts. Or, has links to other threads that I've overlooked. If not, what else do you think we need?

Also, other FAQ maintenance: this one goes to a dead domain. https://jetboaters.net/faq/listing-of-general-nautical-terms.87/

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like a solid FAQ addition to me. Thanks!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Related question I would love explained to me:
I have a Cobra MRF45-D and the GPS add-on. It has DSC capability, and I plan on entering in an MMSI soon.
After reading some of the links, I would like to get a chartplotter and get it to display other boats in the area I have mmsi of.
How can I do this, or do I need a different radio?
I believe it's called Position Polling or something similar.
Links of where I am at on the research:
https://www.cobra.com/products/fixed-mount/mr-f45-d
http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/08/position-polling/
What do I need to get this up and running? (Hopefully not a different radio because I actually like how well it works!