• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Video - 210 FSH - MOB+ Man Overboard System

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I replaced the lanyard engine kill switch with something a bit more modern.

jet_fun

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hey foobar
You still happy with your electronic mob cut off? Im gonna install same.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So.....I'm thinking of adding the MOB+ to my 242x. Marine police seem to cracking down on having your lanyard attached, and it never fails that I forget and move slightly and kill the engines while I'm filling/emptying ballasts.

1 quick question. Once I cut and mount it, will the MOB+ just simply wire into the existing kill switch or will I need to purchase the multi engine harness?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think this is a nice innovation. It is still a little pricey; but imagine the cost of departing your boat without the kill switch on you at anything other than idle (even then). Rare instance but bad scenario. Kill switch discipline is very important but can be forgotten or ignored altogether or intentionally bypassed temporarily like when putting around off plane and stepping away for a moment to attach a bumper, a line or to open/close the windshield.

@Foobar I have really appreciated your videos and when seeing the thread title, I was expecting to see you demonstrating it in a video by leaping out of the boat at speed. No, don’t do that; but you do such a good job documenting results, that was what I envisioned.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I found the old model for $100 in eBay. I'm still on the fence about it. stopped using the lanyard after it was more of a hindrance when turning off by mistake moving about in the boat. overall it was more dangerous to use it than not. so far I have not been wrong. This may help.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I found the old model for $100 in eBay.
I saw that too. But the wife has been mentioning wanting a dog for the kiddos more frequently lately, so I think I want the expandability.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@F.M. you can wire it with the existing kill switches still in the link or exclude them. If you keep them in the loop, you would need to put a kill switch cable on the switch at all times on a key chain or something. I wired mine without the stock kill switch. It was easier and unnecessary with the MOB+. Make sure you get the dual engine harness with the MOB+ if you have more than one engine.

FWIW, this is money well spent. I now use my safety lanyard (the MOB+) at all times. Mostly because the engines will not start without it unless you press the manual override button.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@F.M. you can wire it with the existing kill switches still in the link or exclude them. If you keep them in the loop, you would need to put a kill switch cable on the switch at all times on a key chain or something. I wired mine without the stock kill switch. It was easier and unnecessary with the MOB+. Make sure you get the dual engine harness with the MOB+ if you have more than one engine.

FWIW, this is money well spent. I now use my safety lanyard (the MOB+) at all times. Mostly because the engines will not start without it unless you press the manual override button.
Thanks. That answered my question.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No, but you could do it like this:

- single wire from one of the ignition leads to a relay
- the relay enables power to a block
- hook a fused wire from the ignition power block to something on your trolling motor that controls power

This allows you to distribute "ignition on" power to multiple devices without pulling a bunch of power from a single ignition wire, which I have seen and is very bad.

These relays work well:

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Waterproof-Relay-Harness/dp/B074FSZWVT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1531237432&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=waterproof+bosch+relay&psc=1

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I meant to ask you, @Foobar, how much do you like the MOB.
I'm curious if there is a manual "override" to stop engines manually while in the boat. For example, if you were thrown out of your seat but did not fall overboard/out, that kind of stuff.
Hypothetically speaking.

--

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for getting back to me. I asked the question because while I was fishing, my dog decided it was time for me to jump in. Using the remote while in the water wasn't easy. Made me think I should have a better system. At least it's waterproof.

I talked with Minn Kota about trying to tie into their system, and they didn't recommend that, but rather I use a relay to break the battery connection. I think I found a relay that will work, but it's not cheap.
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0015/automaticbatterydisconnect/FR1051

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I meant to ask you, @Foobar, how much do you like the MOB.
I'm curious if there is a manual "override" to stop engines manually while in the boat. For example, if you were thrown out of your seat but did not fall overboard/out, that kind of stuff.
Hypothetically speaking.

--
Yes, you push the button on the fob on your wrist. If the engines are running, it shuts them down. I show an example in the video above.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for getting back to me. I asked the question because while I was fishing, my dog decided it was time for me to jump in. Using the remote while in the water wasn't easy. Made me think I should have a better system. At least it's waterproof.

I talked with Minn Kota about trying to tie into their system, and they didn't recommend that, but rather I use a relay to break the battery connection. I think I found a relay that will work, but it's not cheap.
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0015/automaticbatterydisconnect/FR1051
I thought about this a bit more. I have the multiple engine harness since I have two engines. The harness will handle 3 engines. That means you could hook up the third to a relay or similar that would cut power to the trolling motor on the third set of wires. That relay would be powered (on/off) by 12v but switch power for 24v/36v leads. You would have to get a relay that does this many volts and could handle the amps across the main circuit as well. You would also have to shut the engines down via the keys for the MOB+ circuit to stay open for the trolling motor so you could close it via the fob.

This would also require that you hook the MOB+ power to the house instead of the ignition (you can do it either way) so that you can still control the trolling motor with the ignition off.

All of this is theoretical. You would have to test it as you go. I do not have a trolling motor yet, so I cannot test it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, you push the button on the fob on your wrist. If the engines are running, it shuts them down. I show an example in the video above.
Thank you.
That will be my next boat related purchase, AND the trailer jack @gmtech16450yz recommended. See you in the poor house, guys, lol.

--

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Foobar I think we're on the same track. If you take a look at the relay I found, it's for 12v 250amps. It also has a grounding shut off option. I haven't checked, but was assuming the Yamaha kill switch was set up to close the switch to ground and shut off the engines. If that's the case, I have 3 matched circuits, all looking for the same grounding input to shut down all engines.

Relay: http://www.flamingriver.com/download2.php/products/c0015/automaticbatterydisconnect?instructions

I need to confirm with Flaming River that their relay can handle 36 v at 60amps.

If I'm off base, let me know please, I study electronics 40 years ago.

JWKECK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I followed your guidance for application on my 190 FSH. I removed the stock dash compass and it was a exactly the right size. You provided wonderful instructions. It took me about an hour. Thank you so much.