• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Video - Test Results - Cobra Jet vs Jet Boat Pilot

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My personal opinion and observations between the two competing products.

@JetBoatPilot @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

EDIT: Recently decided to go back to the JBP system. Works better for me in moving tides.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks for the review video, well done. I’ve purchased products from both Cobra Jet and Jet Boat Pilot. I agree both companies are excellent. My question is, why doesn’t Yamaha address these problems?

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just a bit of clarity we do offer a 30-day money-back guarantee as long as the product is in new condition with no damage and we offer a 60-day money-back guarantee in the form of a store credit. Basically you get cash if returned within 30 days and store credit from 31 days to 60 days.

weaselman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Excellent video. Well done. I could hear the rain in the background. It sounded like it was raining pretty hard

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Foobar , please clarify your cobra fins without fangs but with lateral thrusters statement. That is, if the fangs are removed the cobra fins will work with the lateral thrusters. Is any new hardware needed, like longer mounting bolts? I do not have an articulating keel (or the tie rod(s) associated with it) so I have a pair of fangs for both pumps/nozzles. Would there be enough clearance to add lateral thrusters if I removed just the outer (not the inner) fang from both pumps/nozzles?

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Very interesting video. It supports the conclusions I have come to over my 3 years of ownership...the fins are two different products with a percentage (I almost inserted a number, but I have become smarter than that) of intersection.

At this point I haven't found that I have a need to add a product to help out while reversing. Maybe it's a problem that was caused when Yamaha added the active keel (or whatever they call it), but I can spin my boat in (nearly) it's length without any other products. It's really pretty easy. The only time I can think of that I'd need them is if I was backing into a slip, which I don't do.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very good non biased video!! Thank you for taking the time to make it.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Foobar , please clarify your cobra fins without fangs but with lateral thrusters statement. That is, if the fangs are removed the cobra fins will work with the lateral thrusters. Is any new hardware needed, like longer mounting bolts? I do not have an articulating keel (or the tie rod(s) associated with it) so I have a pair of fangs for both pumps/nozzles. Would there be enough clearance to add lateral thrusters if I removed just the outer (not the inner) fang from both pumps/nozzles?
No, I think you would need to remove both fangs as they would hit the lateral thruster housing. You would more than likely need to go to Lowes or something and get a longer stainless bolt. You would also need to line up all of the washers and bushings correctly.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I could hear the rain in the background. It sounded like it was raining pretty hard
Okay, thank you. That's what it was!
Very interesting video. It supports the conclusions I have come to over my 3 years of ownership...the fins are two different products with a percentage (I almost inserted a number, but I have become smarter than that) of intersection.

At this point I haven't found that I have a need to add a product to help out while reversing. Maybe it's a problem that was caused when Yamaha added the active keel (or whatever they call it), but I can spin my boat in (nearly) it's length without any other products. It's really pretty easy. The only time I can think of that I'd need them is if I was backing into a slip, which I don't do.
Ultimates (and then add MEGAs) would change your (192 boating) life. If you pull skiers/wakeboarders.

--

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Ultimates (and then add MEGAs) would change your (192 boating) life. If you pull skiers/wakeboarders.

--[/QUOTE]

I pull wakeboarders some, but that's all I'm doing. My kids/wife are not doing anything but being pulled. If they up their game, I'll consider upping mine. :)

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had the regular fangs and just mounted the mega fangs with the Cobra Magnum AK sysytem. If you just put the original Magnum Ak system on the boat you do not use the bolt location where the JBP lateral thrusters would mount. So you wouldn't need a longer bolt that would put more stress on it hence shouldn't void the warranty.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Correct however once you experience the combination of the magnum A K steering and the Mega Fangs with all the benefits you gain from those two working together at all speeds and reverse I will tell you what I told foobar in the beginning I see no reason why you can't put the side thruster on the nozzle with the magnum A K steering.
there is no interference between the two and with my steering it would probably even work better in reverse, however I honestly do not believe it is the best choice ,not only for the big cost difference, but for the enhanced reverse thrust, the power steering effect and the better stopping power gained from the Mega Fangs and the Magnum A K system working together .
People always want to experiment but these apparently work great together.
On this subject I just picked up the first run of the special side force stabilizers to allow you to add the side thrusters to the ultimate steering, however the Mega Fangs on a twin engine with the Ultimate steering is far superior in all the options and benefits you receive and the savings in cost.
however on a single engine rudder equipped boat , the mega fangs are not compatible with the ultimate, you would need the viper system with the fangs built in and the planning surface or you can change the side force stabilizer on your ultimate set and add a side thruster to the system. again there is no interference between the two. .

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't been out with the mega fangs yet, I didn't have a problem with the regular fangs but the marina will have to back it in between two concrete walls to pull it and put it in a rack. They probably won't be to use to jet boats so anything that makes it easier for them works for me to keep the boat from getting banged up.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you had just the original single fang on the fin you will see a very big improvement in the mega fang system , this is what @swatski did he changed from the original fang mounted on the fin to the mega fangs mounted on the nozzle using the 2 per nozzle The change is very obvious in all areas of steering improvement. The water sport side of this is also a big help as is the reverse thrust and steering improvement over the single setup.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you had just the original single fang on the fin you will see a very big improvement in the mega fang system , this is what @swatski did he changed from the original fang mounted on the fin to the mega fangs mounted on the nozzle using the 2 per nozzle The change is very obvious in all areas of steering improvement. The water sport side of this is also a big help as is the reverse thrust and steering improvement over the single setup.
Correct!
I posted on that somewhere.

@Weeb here is the thread
https://jetboaters.net/threads/mega-fangs-cobra-ak-power-steering-doughnuts-in-reverse.15877/#post-273191

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So Ronnie you have the Ultimate steering on a twin engine boat but you have the early style nozzles, I can build a set of side force stabilizers for those nozzles so you can remove the bottom side force stabilizer and add a set of side thrusters if you like . I believe the mega fang set would be a better idea although you already have the twin regular fang set on your boat and you run with your fins up at speed so without the fangs or mega fangs you will probably regret doing that unless you set the fins to stay down at speed to some degree since they have numerous setting levels for that function. You should be able to find a setting to your liking. That being said you can not use the side force stabilizers your system has now since these operate on the bottom bolt of the nozzle.